U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 06:16 PM

12,932 posts, read 19,824,518 times

Advertisements

Back in the day, I used to feed my three sons lunch with one box of Kraft M&C, and they loved it. If it was dinner, I'd add some Purdue chicken nuggets.

But mac and cheese is one food I've never personally developed a liking for, whether from a box, a restaurant, or homemade. I'm certainly an anomaly here in the south!

Old 10-30-2018, 06:19 PM

120 posts, read 64,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Your original post did not solicit any specific type of response, therefore it is open to any relevant commentary.
Yes I guess you are right. I thought I posted a funny story about sharing a meal with my dog and when she saw it on the tv, she jumped up and licked the tv.

I'm older now and don't have kids, but maybe for those that have kids, make a box of kraft mac & cheese, heat up a small can of peas, dump those in and add a can of tuna. Stir it all up and they may just like it. It sure beats those sorry as* peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I made a mistake when I said we had margerine, we didn't, we had oleo. I don't know what the difference is but I don't see oleo in stores anymore.

Bon Appetit!

Old 10-30-2018, 06:25 PM

16,232 posts, read 25,459,424 times
When I lived in Connecticut, we'd go to a nearby restaurant that served this dish of deliciousness: Ziti baked in a Cheddar, Swiss & Gruyere sauce and topped with seasoned crumbs. We loved that the noodles were vertical too.

That said, I love the stuff from the box. The original kind -- not the different shapes, different cheese, whatever. It has to be the elbows with the orange powder. Yum.

I love your dog story. SO SWEET! Dogs are the best people.

Old 10-30-2018, 07:22 PM

17,602 posts, read 21,797,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I have never made macaroni and cheese except by starting with Mornay sauce, so I shall not opine on Kraft, but I will say your dog story is hilarious.
Mornay sauce is the way to begin. Not orange powder.

Old 10-31-2018, 01:01 AM

15,005 posts, read 16,576,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenwhatareyou View Post
Yes I guess you are right. I thought I posted a funny story about sharing a meal with my dog and when she saw it on the tv, she jumped up and licked the tv.

Hey, for what it's worth I really liked your story. Dogs are so cute and funny. You are lucky to have a nice dog to share your Mac and Cheese with!

Old 10-31-2018, 01:21 AM

720 posts, read 220,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenwhatareyou View Post
Yes, I guess it is kind of sad. I didn't mean for this post to be sad. I meant for it to be funny that my dog would lick the tv screen when she saw mac and cheese. Guess you missed the joke.
I don't know a dozen ways to make tuna enjoyable. Maybe you can make adding it with peas to kraft mac and cheese number 13.

Yes, I was a welfare kid. We had puffed rice or wheat for breakfast with powdered milk. However, we could put as much sugar on it as we wanted. In elementary school, we took our lunch with a nickel for a carton of milk. My lunch was one of the following: PB&J, 2 Hydrox cookies and one of those cheap apples that nobody wanted to eat. If there wasn't any peanut butter then we got margerine and jelly. If all else failed, we got Mayonnaise bread. When times were good, we got surplus cheese.

Ironically, my job for more than 20 years was to take clients out for dinner and wine and dine them to maintain the relationship or to obtain more clients. So yes, my diet became more adventurous. As much as Zagat would allow.

How funny, I still like to come home to a cheap box of wine, mac and cheese with tuna and peas and a dog that loves me.
I love this post. And I also enjoy Kraft Macaroni and Cheese over the years. Sometimes I add tuna and peas too. I also like it as a side with a petite steak and some green beans.

Old 10-31-2018, 01:47 AM

4,249 posts, read 1,574,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
You are lucky to have a nice dog to share your Mac and Cheese with!
You know, I LOVE my dog but not sure if I do THAT much! Her tastes are a bit less discriminating than mine.

Old 10-31-2018, 05:50 AM

5,152 posts, read 3,655,207 times
IMO, I could handle the tuna, but adding peas to Mac N Cheese is blasphemy! LOL

The only thing I put peas in is homemade vegetable soup or meat pies so the texture and flavor of peas aren't prevalent.

Old 10-31-2018, 06:50 AM

1,754 posts, read 709,779 times
no, tuna and canned peas is OK, although frozen green vegs are better. DH used to add carrots, which always turned me off.

When I was in college there were some days when I went straight from class to a PT job, and didn't get home until about 9:30 PM. I would make a box of M&C dinner, not intending to eat the whole thing. I always ate the whole thing.

BTW, sauteed onions is a GREAT addition to mac and cheese - just saying. Try it sometime.

Old 10-31-2018, 06:59 AM

120 posts, read 64,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
IMO, I could handle the tuna, but adding peas to Mac N Cheese is blasphemy! LOL

The only thing I put peas in is homemade vegetable soup or meat pies so the texture and flavor of peas aren't prevalent.
I love this! Blasphemy. You probably gave me the best laugh of the day. Remember when Emeril Lagasse yelled "Bam" when he threw his spice into a food. I will now yell "blasphemy" when I throw in the peas. I don't think the dog will care. She'll eat it anyway and so will I. I wish yelling blasphemy made as much money as bam. Let's start a go fund me.

Thank you gouligann. Love your sense of humor.

Last edited by thenwhatareyou; 10-31-2018 at 07:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or