Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 01:04 PM

164 posts, read 172,977 times

Advertisements

50 years ago when I was 12, I went to babysit 2 small boys and before their mother left, she made kraft mac and cheese and put in a can of tuna and some peas. I think that was her version of a tuna casserole.

Since I had never had anything more than a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for lunch, this was something to die for.

I have made this once in awhile over the years and still enjoy it and since it makes so much, I give some to my dog. Today, a commercial for Kraft Mac & cheese came on the tv and my dog jumped up and licked the screen. I guess it's time to make it again. LOL.

Old 10-29-2018, 05:59 PM

50,068 posts, read 63,428,947 times
My husband loves Kraft Mac n Cheese, even though I make it from scratch, or try different kinds. It’s fine if you like it the best.

Old 10-29-2018, 06:04 PM

1,371 posts, read 655,015 times
I like to have it for lunch. If I was on my own, probably would have it for dinner too. It was a childhood fave!

Old 10-29-2018, 06:05 PM

61,249 posts, read 86,144,940 times
Kinda sad that for 12 years you didn't eat anything else but PB&J for lunch ...
Hope your diet became more adventurous later in your life.

Mac and cheese isn't my thing, but I love canned tuna and probably know more than a dozen ways to make it enjoyable.

Old 10-29-2018, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Kinda sad that for 12 years you didn't eat anything else but PB&J for lunch ...
Hope your diet became more adventurous later in your life.

Mac and cheese isn't my thing, but I love canned tuna and probably know more than a dozen ways to make it enjoyable.
Yes, I guess it is kind of sad. I didn't mean for this post to be sad. I meant for it to be funny that my dog would lick the tv screen when she saw mac and cheese. Guess you missed the joke.
I don't know a dozen ways to make tuna enjoyable. Maybe you can make adding it with peas to kraft mac and cheese number 13.

Yes, I was a welfare kid. We had puffed rice or wheat for breakfast with powdered milk. However, we could put as much sugar on it as we wanted. In elementary school, we took our lunch with a nickel for a carton of milk. My lunch was one of the following: PB&J, 2 Hydrox cookies and one of those cheap apples that nobody wanted to eat. If there wasn't any peanut butter then we got margerine and jelly. If all else failed, we got Mayonnaise bread. When times were good, we got surplus cheese.

Ironically, my job for more than 20 years was to take clients out for dinner and wine and dine them to maintain the relationship or to obtain more clients. So yes, my diet became more adventurous. As much as Zagat would allow.

How funny, I still like to come home to a cheap box of wine, mac and cheese with tuna and peas and a dog that loves me.

Old 10-29-2018, 08:22 PM

23,896 posts, read 32,199,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenwhatareyou View Post
50 years ago when I was 12, I went to babysit 2 small boys and before their mother left, she made kraft mac and cheese and put in a can of tuna and some peas. I think that was her version of a tuna casserole.

Since I had never had anything more than a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for lunch, this was something to die for.

I have made this once in awhile over the years and still enjoy it and since it makes so much, I give some to my dog. Today, a commercial for Kraft Mac & cheese came on the tv and my dog jumped up and licked the screen. I guess it's time to make it again. LOL.
I know it's beloved by many. But I am not one.

I made homemade mac and cheese tonight, and I would not trade it for that orange stuff for anythging.

If you want quick mac and cheese, Annie's is better than Kraft, for my money.

Old 10-29-2018, 08:30 PM

13,011 posts, read 12,976,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

I made homemade mac and cheese tonight, and I would not trade it for that orange stuff for anythging.

Agreed. Annie’s is marginally ok, but homemade is superb.

Old 10-29-2018, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

How sad that you didn't read the thread.

Old 10-29-2018, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Agreed. Annie’s is marginally ok, but homemade is superb.
How sad that you didn't read the thread.

Old 10-29-2018, 11:50 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,968,193 times
Kraft Mac and Cheese is comfort food for you.

It was not a big part of my childhood, so I never developed a fondness for it. I do like the recipe for mac and cheese in Joy of Cooking though. I made that a few times for a friend who had trouble chewing. It was a great food for her. I like it too. I might make it again some time, but wow, it is rich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink