U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 07:11 PM

51,345 posts, read 50,591,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
If they're good, what's the problem?
I don't know if they're good. I never had one.

The problem is that "Fig Newton" should be sacrosanct. For over 100 years, the only adjective that modified "Newton" in the food world was "Fig". It became as if it were one word. It's Americana, a thread in the weave of our very society. Now you want to wedge "Cranberry" in front of Newton? It's just wrong.

I bet they ARE good, though.

Old 10-30-2018, 07:21 PM

8,846 posts, read 8,182,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Granted, but don't you think the number of new variations is exploding these days? Much more so than in my lifetime previously. It's a growing trend, and one I don't like. But then, I'm a purist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brook2ga View Post
I totally understand. Especially M&Ms!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I LOVE all the M&M varieties! Keep 'em coming, I say!!
I like the new
Pretzel and Crunchy Mint M&Ms flavors in particular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2018, 09:05 PM

9,523 posts, read 13,362,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

The problem is that "Fig Newton" should be sacrosanct. For over 100 years, the only adjective that modified "Newton" in the food world was "Fig". It became as if it were one word. It's Americana, a thread in the weave of our very society. Now you want to wedge "Cranberry" in front of Newton? It's just wrong.

OMG, it's not wrong, the second I saw the words cranberry newton my interest perked right up!
I might even take the time to actually look for those next time I'm in the store. Fig newtons hold no sex appeal for me anymore, lol.

Old 10-30-2018, 09:40 PM

4,242 posts, read 3,034,814 times
Spin-offs don't bother me. If they're good I'll eat them. If they're not, I won't.

Old 10-30-2018, 11:59 PM

14,981 posts, read 16,561,821 times
It is fine when a company issues an iteration on their tried and true products to test the market and potentially expand their line, or to create something new entirely, but I agree with OP on Oreos.

There is a ridiculous number of Oreo flavors coming out. Roast turkey and oyster stuffing Oreos anyone?

Old 10-31-2018, 05:00 AM

8,071 posts, read 3,896,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

I hope this is a joke.

Old 10-31-2018, 07:26 AM

7,100 posts, read 3,792,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brook2ga View Post
I totally understand. Especially M&Ms! It seems this is happening with everything not just food. There are so many choices it can be overwhelming for some people. There's so much competition companies need to appeal to more people. Doesn't work for me
Studies have proven that more choice actually makes people less happy. Also...is nothing sacred?

Old 10-31-2018, 07:39 AM

14,320 posts, read 17,531,665 times
Doesn't bother me. But it does create some dishes that just don't appeal to me at all. Lobster mac and cheese and lobster ravioli - what a waste of lobster meat. Lots of the special coffee flavors that Starbucks comes out with - it's coffee, not a milk shake. And so forth.

Old 10-31-2018, 07:50 AM

51,345 posts, read 50,591,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I hope this is a joke.
Of course it is. Now that I'm 60, I have to affect the persona of Cranky Old Woman Who Resists Change. It's in the rules.

I will probably try the cranberry ones. I love cranberry.

Old 10-31-2018, 11:39 AM

3,071 posts, read 1,629,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Doesn't bother me. But it does create some dishes that just don't appeal to me at all. Lobster mac and cheese and lobster ravioli - what a waste of lobster meat. Lots of the special coffee flavors that Starbucks comes out with - it's coffee, not a milk shake. And so forth.
Ok, I sampled the lobster ravioli, which costs $18 for one frozen bag, at Costco a few weeks ago. It was DIVINE! Easy and quick to prepare, and easily the best use of lobster meat I have ever had, outside of eating a fresh caught lobster in a seaside New England restaurant. Every bit as good as the best lobster bisque.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink