U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 01:23 PM

9,560 posts, read 13,402,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Maybe not to you, but it does to scientists who have researched it and proven this. Having too many choices make us more dissatisfied and unhappy.
That's true, but I have to wonder if those studies were broken down to include how people feel about flavors.
If I want to buy some Advil today I have to choose from name brand vs store brand, do I want a 10 count bottle, 24, 50, 100, 180, 300, 500, or 1,000 count? Do I want tablet, gelcap, caplet, liqui-gel or mini gels? I can see that those choices might be frustrating because they are all just different variations of a single product and you could be sitting there for a while trying to figure out the best choice. Unlike trying to decide whether you want the regular oreos or the mint or chocolate flavor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2018, 03:04 PM

507 posts, read 117,990 times
Quote:
Maybe not to you, but it does to scientists who have researched it and proven this. Having too many choices make us more dissatisfied and unhappy.
It's a shame; you'd have loved Soviet Russia.

Old 11-02-2018, 03:22 PM

7,121 posts, read 3,812,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Definitely not me. I'm thankful for choices. Because I know that what some people like, I may not care for, and vice versa. More choices = more people happy.
Again, you're entitled to your opinion, but research proves otherwise (for the majority).

Old 11-02-2018, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
That's true, but I have to wonder if those studies were broken down to include how people feel about flavors.
If I want to buy some Advil today I have to choose from name brand vs store brand, do I want a 10 count bottle, 24, 50, 100, 180, 300, 500, or 1,000 count? Do I want tablet, gelcap, caplet, liqui-gel or mini gels? I can see that those choices might be frustrating because they are all just different variations of a single product and you could be sitting there for a while trying to figure out the best choice. Unlike trying to decide whether you want the regular oreos or the mint or chocolate flavor.
Does it make your day better to stand in the cereal aisle for half an hour trying to choose from among 200 kinds of cereal? It doesn't mine. Once you've chosen, do you wonder if you made the right choice or even regret your choice because there were so many other options? That's what science proves. I find it valid.

Old 11-02-2018, 03:26 PM

8,108 posts, read 3,944,480 times
Quote:
Again, you're entitled to your opinion, but research proves otherwise (for the majority).
Please provide this research. I'm curious about the details of the studies.

Old 11-02-2018, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Does it make your day better to stand in the cereal aisle for half an hour trying to choose from among 200 kinds of cereal? It doesn't mine. Once you've chosen, do you wonder if you made the right choice or even regret your choice because there were so many other options? That's what science proves. I find it valid.
Cereal's no problem. I know what I like and what I'm in the mood for. I don't even have to slow down to grab it off the shelf. Easy peasy and no regret.

Who knew cereal was such a weighty decision for some people? Regret? Really??

Old 11-02-2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Please provide this research. I'm curious about the details of the studies.
I'm sure you're capable of Googling these studies yourself, but in case you're not... Here are six:

https://blog.ted.com/does-having-cho...doesnt-always/

Old 11-02-2018, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Cereal's no problem. I know what I like and what I'm in the mood for. I don't even have to slow down to grab it off the shelf. Easy peasy and no regret.

Who knew cereal was such a weighty decision for some people? Regret? Really??

You know, endless circular arguments that go nowhere also don't make people happier. It's fine to agree to disagree. I just think all these spin-off products are rather ridiculous. You're entitled to your opinion, and neither of us has to convince the other of our own.

Old 11-02-2018, 04:03 PM

51,489 posts, read 50,749,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
It's a shame; you'd have loved Soviet Russia.
LOL. I'll never forget watching video on TV in the 80s of people in the USSR lined up for four hours because a store had cans of peas. No label, no choices, just unmarked cans of peas, and there they stood in four-hour line to buy them. Even worse, they were all bundled up in hats and coats and snow was falling--and it was May.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 11-02-2018 at 04:12 PM..

Old 11-02-2018, 07:22 PM

Quote:
I'm sure you're capable of Googling these studies yourself, but in case you're not... Here are six:

https://blog.ted.com/does-having-cho...doesnt-always/
Oh, I'm absolutely capable, but I wasn't the one who brought studies into this. Onus was on you.

So much wrong with those examples that I don't even know where to start. Frankly, it's not worth the trouble.

I still believe that people want choices. Clearly it's working for the food manufacturers, or they wouldn't offer so many varieties. You really think they haven't done their own studies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink