U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 07:54 PM

507 posts, read 117,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'm sure you're capable of Googling these studies yourself, but in case you're not... Here are six:

https://blog.ted.com/does-having-cho...doesnt-always/
Pretty sure you can probably see that while a few of those sorta support your hypothesis, they really don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2018, 09:00 PM

760 posts, read 268,017 times
remember Suicides? (that's what we called them)
you mixed ALL the cola flavors together?

i am not in the Spin-Off target demographic anymore.
they are for the 9-year-old ""He likes it! Hey, Mikey!"

Old 11-02-2018, 10:06 PM

9,560 posts, read 13,398,217 times
Quote:
Does it make your day better to stand in the cereal aisle for half an hour trying to choose from among 200 kinds of cereal? It doesn't mine. Once you've chosen, do you wonder if you made the right choice or even regret your choice because there were so many other options? That's what science proves. I find it valid.
I don't really find that to be the same as trying to choose something like toothpaste or medicine because really you only have a few actual choices of product, it's just that those products come in sooooo many sizes and formulas, but are basically still just the same thing.
Food, like cereal, on the other hand is way different to me. Captain crunch is not anything like corn flakes which is not like rice crispies which is not like honey smacks, etc, etc. So if each of those cereals has a couple of different flavors to choose from I don't really find it overwhelming, because like the other poster I know if I'm a corn flakes kinda gal, or a honey smacks kinda gal, no agonizing over the choices there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
remember Suicides? (that's what we called them)
you mixed ALL the cola flavors together?

i am not in the Spin-Off target demographic anymore.
they are for the 9-year-old ""He likes it! Hey, Mikey!"
Ahem, I guess that makes me a child at heart because I love trying new things (and not just sugary kids stuff). I hope I'm never too old to discover the joy of finding new foods or a new flavor that I really like. I mean I just discovered I liked a pizza that had pickles and mustard on it.

Old 11-02-2018, 11:58 PM

11,151 posts, read 6,632,835 times
Quote:
Does it make your day better to stand in the cereal aisle for half an hour trying to choose from among 200 kinds of cereal? It doesn't mine. Once you've chosen, do you wonder if you made the right choice or even regret your choice because there were so many other options? That's what science proves. I find it valid.
I don't normally buy cereal, but when I do it's because I'm wanting a certain kind. If I go down the cereal aisle and see something else that looks good, sure I might buy it instead to try. Will I regret it? No, it's cereal. If I don't like what I bought, I'll just buy something else the next time I'm at the store.

Old 11-03-2018, 12:10 AM

15,024 posts, read 16,613,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Well that's a first ... someone who thinks that having more choices is a bad thing.

Makes no sense to me.
I have to agree with otterhere. It is not that I want no choices, but too many choices usually makes me feel like not making any choice at all.

If a product can't stand behind its basic premise, why should I trust any of its multitude of variations to be good? I think it cheapens the original product.

And it is not just food. I remember when Levis came in just a few designs. Now when I go to check out jeans, there are 10 different styles with 5 different cuts. I don't want to try on 50 permutations of jeans just to find out which ones to buy. Just give me a pair of 501s.

Old 11-03-2018, 12:25 AM

18,979 posts, read 12,570,291 times
I decide stuff like this by looking at the nutrition labels. I really donít have too much trouble choosing things to eat.

OP, earlier you stated that you were a purist, and I think this us what your post is about. You are not that fond of change.

There are some people like you, and there are others who donít worry about change and choice so much.

There isnít a wrong or right.

I do like choices, myself.

Old 11-03-2018, 05:30 AM

767 posts, read 229,988 times
sheesh. it's a dog-eat-dog merchandising nightmare world out there. and has been for the last 70 years i've been on this planet and Lucky Strikes were new, toasted, less irritating and " 20, 269 physicians" endorsed it. live and let buy, enjoy your choice, for too soon we die.

Old 11-03-2018, 09:01 AM

8,106 posts, read 3,932,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I have to agree with otterhere. It is not that I want no choices, but too many choices usually makes me feel like not making any choice at all.

If a product can't stand behind its basic premise, why should I trust any of its multitude of variations to be good? I think it cheapens the original product.

And it is not just food. I remember when Levis came in just a few designs. Now when I go to check out jeans, there are 10 different styles with 5 different cuts. I don't want to try on 50 permutations of jeans just to find out which ones to buy. Just give me a pair of 501s.
But not everyone is built like you are. 501s don't work for every body type. So people who don't like the fit of 501s just don't get Levis?

Old 11-03-2018, 12:55 PM

3,147 posts, read 1,236,646 times
Every time a company introduces a new variation of an old product, sales soar for the original version.
Yup, those new varieties are just marketing tools, and are quickly discontinued to make room for the next new thing.

Old 11-05-2018, 09:14 AM

7,112 posts, read 3,807,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Every time a company introduces a new variation of an old product, sales soar for the original version.
Yup, those new varieties are just marketing tools, and are quickly discontinued to make room for the next new thing.
That's diabolical, so you may be right! It appeals to the "flitters" who are easily bored and like novelty, however revolting the new product may be, and also sends the purists and traditionalists scurrying nostalgically back to the original, thus engendering sales in both demographics. It's marketing genius!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink