U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 07:34 AM

5,187 posts, read 3,006,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I made this Cheesy Corn Casserole when the recipe first hit two years ago and will be making it by popular demand for the 3rd Thanksgiving in a row. https://www.bonappetit.com/columns/c...nksgiving-side
We make a similar one with Swiss cheese and no cream cheese that is called Kansas corn bake. I don't know why. Everyone loves it.

Speaking of cream cheese, this pumpkin trifle looks quick and easy and a little lighter than the usually pie dessert:

https://www.yummly.com/recipe/Pumpki...-369400?prm-v1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2018, 08:11 AM

1,797 posts, read 2,410,441 times
I love homemade creamed onions! They are so easy to make and so good!

Old 10-30-2018, 08:15 AM

9,216 posts, read 20,227,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnsleepy View Post
I would like to incorporate some new dishes. Any ideas?
What do you normally make?

I make a cheesecake using angel fingers instead of graham crust. It's more work to cut up the lady fingers but so worth it.

I also make special stuffing that I love having Hungarian yellow peppers for but will substitute red, yellow and orange small sweet peppers; mushrooms, celery, carrot, onions and sausage. I use the turkey juices to baste the stuffing. Everyone loves my stuffing. Problem is I don't have a recipe; I just eye ball everything using my small "soup" bowls. I always use 2 bags of Pepperidge Farm country stuffing mix when I can find it. Last year I used a finer chopped stuffing mix that did not go over well.

Old 10-30-2018, 01:18 PM

11,360 posts, read 5,863,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
I love homemade creamed onions! They are so easy to make and so good!

Gag!! That's on my banned list along with green bean casserole.

I have my list of traditional sides:

Mashed carrot & turnip (with butter)
Mashed butternut squash with maple syrup
Mashed skin-on red bliss potato (with butter and half & half)
Store bought stuffing with cooked/shelled chestnuts, mirpoix, sauvignon blanc, chicken stock, (and butter)
A bag of fresh cranberries for sauce substituting OJ for water and a splash of Grand Marnier at the end
Haricots verts steamed/sauteed in a bit of olive oil & water with toasted slivered almonds

I use the KitchenAid mixer pie crust recipe. I should use a Cuisinart and get a fluffier crust recipe.
Standard granny smith apple pie but with enough cinnamon to ride a sandworm in a Dune novel.
Pecan pie using the Karo bottle recipe but Penzey's double strength vanilla
Pumpkin pie using the recipe on the can but extra ginger and fresh grated nutmeg.
Ben & Jerry's vanilla ice cream
Cabot canned whipped cream

A lot of years, I'll grill boneless duck breast instead of bothering with roasting a turkey. Thanksgiving is all about the sides and I really don't care for turkey.

In a minimalist year, I'll just do my stuffing, carrot & turnip, cran sauce, and French green beans and toss a few duck breasts on the Weber.

Old 10-30-2018, 02:26 PM

13,121 posts, read 17,664,361 times
now my grandmother used to make creamed peas and I still make them they are so good and sometimes she would add pearl onions to it and lots of butter . She was a doll and I miss her terribly .

Old 10-30-2018, 05:38 PM

1,797 posts, read 2,410,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Gag!! That's on my banned list along with green bean casserole.

I have my list of traditional sides:

Mashed carrot & turnip (with butter)
Mashed butternut squash with maple syrup
Mashed skin-on red bliss potato (with butter and half & half)
Store bought stuffing with cooked/shelled chestnuts, mirpoix, sauvignon blanc, chicken stock, (and butter)
A bag of fresh cranberries for sauce substituting OJ for water and a splash of Grand Marnier at the end
Haricots verts steamed/sauteed in a bit of olive oil & water with toasted slivered almonds

I use the KitchenAid mixer pie crust recipe. I should use a Cuisinart and get a fluffier crust recipe.
Standard granny smith apple pie but with enough cinnamon to ride a sandworm in a Dune novel.
Pecan pie using the Karo bottle recipe but Penzey's double strength vanilla
Pumpkin pie using the recipe on the can but extra ginger and fresh grated nutmeg.
Ben & Jerry's vanilla ice cream
Cabot canned whipped cream

A lot of years, I'll grill boneless duck breast instead of bothering with roasting a turkey. Thanksgiving is all about the sides and I really don't care for turkey.

In a minimalist year, I'll just do my stuffing, carrot & turnip, cran sauce, and French green beans and toss a few duck breasts on the Weber.
Good thing we don't have to share a meal at Thanksgiving! I feel pretty much the same about your choices.

Old Yesterday, 03:24 AM

363 posts, read 126,628 times
My Mom's family all bring their own thing and we share. So my contribution will be a butternut squash/egg/spinach fritatta, roasted root vegetables, and a gluten free almond blueberry bread/cake (my Mom eats gluten free).

Old Yesterday, 04:54 AM

5,146 posts, read 3,647,157 times
I've made this at Christmas and it was a huge hit:

Sweet Potato Casserole recipe

Preheat oven to 425 F
2 large, sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced into small pieces
4 cored, peeled, sliced apples
1/2 cup brown sugar
4 tbsp butter, separated into 2 tbsp and 2 tbsp.
1 chicken Knorr cube and 1 cup water (OR: 1 cup chicken broth)
2 tbsp flour
1/2 cup apple sauce
salt and pepper

Melt 2 tbsp butter in a small pot, stir in brown sugar until melted, then add apple sauce. In a buttered casserole dish, gently combine this with the apples and sweet potatoes.
Melt 2 tbsp butter in another small pot, stir in flour, and gradually add the chicken broth until smooth. Pour this evenly over the sweet potato mixture and bake, covered for 30 minutes at 425 F, then uncover and bake 20 more minutes.

Old Yesterday, 08:53 AM

41,037 posts, read 32,728,581 times
Ok, since Thanksgiving food isn't necessarily healthy, and I only make this once a year, I don't feel too bad about it. My grandkids call it MiMi Corn and it's GREAT left over!

Two or three cans of shoepeg corn - I am sure you could use frozen or fresh shoepeg corn too but heck, I just use the canned version
A block of cream cheese
Pimentos
Chopped green chilis

Just put all that in a saucepan and heat it up till the cream cheese melts. I know it's horrible but it tastes delicious!

Old Yesterday, 08:56 AM

41,037 posts, read 32,728,581 times
One thing that everyone demands in our family at Thanksgiving for dessert is homemade buttermilk pie. It's the easiest pie in the world to make. My dad always called it "calf slobber pie" which I know is disgusting but that's what we call it now!

Super easy to make. I can and sometimes do make my own pie crust but honestly, the prepared crusts work just as well.

Buttermilk Pie - Just like my Nanny used to make - The Coers Family
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or