U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 08:31 AM

17,677 posts, read 3,576,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I donít like messing with tradition, so I tend to have the same things, but I might switch up the recipes for pumpkin pie or sweet potatoes. I might have a group of roasted root vegetables this year, since I think it would be colorful, and in keeping with traditional fall foods. If itís just my husband and I, I can experiment more than with the rest of the family.

Love the roasted root vegetables...so pretty and very good.

I'll cook dressing for myself, grandmother's recipe, and maybe the roasted roots too...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 08:36 AM

865 posts, read 644,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
Fresh fig salad with prosciutto over a bed of arugula and slivers of a good parmigiana reggiano cheese. The dressing is balsamic and Dijon with olive oil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Recipe please, or link. It sounds wonderful!
Fresh Figs in November? That sounds wonderfully impossible. Every now and then my trees will have a straggler that drops in November but they are barely worth picking. Figs need to slow cook on the tree for about a month at 95+ degrees to be great.

My favorite thanksgiving dessert is persimmon pudding. The secret is to use American persimmons not those Asian varieties that are available at the store. A bit more work to find and pulp American persimmons but well worth the effort.

Old Today, 01:43 PM

8,178 posts, read 6,020,541 times
I've got a recipe that I found online that I want to try this year..

Shrimp and Grits Dressing

A Well-Seasoned Life: Shrimp and Grits Dressing: My New Thanksgiving Tradition

Old Today, 01:52 PM

18,905 posts, read 12,506,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post
Fresh Figs in November? That sounds wonderfully impossible. Every now and then my trees will have a straggler that drops in November but they are barely worth picking. Figs need to slow cook on the tree for about a month at 95+ degrees to be great.

My favorite thanksgiving dessert is persimmon pudding. The secret is to use American persimmons not those Asian varieties that are available at the store. A bit more work to find and pulp American persimmons but well worth the effort.
I have made persimmon pudding exactly once. I had to purchase a food mill to make it. I did not care for it that much. In fact, if memory served, it smelled odd, and just put me off. So, never again. And it was labor intensive. And you have to grovel around to find frost bitten persimmons.

Good for you for preserving an authentic country food though. I know my inlaws seemed to love it, or the memory of it.

Old Today, 04:06 PM

253 posts, read 147,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I made this Cheesy Corn Casserole when the recipe first hit two years ago and will be making it by popular demand for the 3rd Thanksgiving in a row. https://www.bonappetit.com/columns/c...nksgiving-side
I'm sure gonna try this! But not for Thanksgiving...I think there would be a mini revolt if I did not make my Mother's Peppered Corn.

She was always asked to bring this to friends' pot lucks and she kept telling people how simple it was to make but somehow they always wanted her to make it.

On a side note, one year when we were kids, Mother discovered that we had no cans of corn niblets while making it the night before (always better if made in advance). Mild panic ensued because we we going to friends for the feast where everyone was bringing some favorite dish. So we stopped at a convenience store on the way, then drove into Audubon Park, opened the cans and stirred them into the base. Was delicious, as usual.

My brother and I were sworn to secrecy. This is my favorite memory of Thanksgiving...shivering and giggling in a cold, grey, deserted park making Mother's Peppered Corn.

Old Today, 04:32 PM

10,155 posts, read 16,735,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBentley View Post
I'm sure gonna try this! But not for Thanksgiving...I think there would be a mini revolt if I did not make my Mother's Peppered Corn.

She was always asked to bring this to friends' pot lucks and she kept telling people how simple it was to make but somehow they always wanted her to make it.

On a side note, one year when we were kids, Mother discovered that we had no cans of corn niblets while making it the night before (always better if made in advance). Mild panic ensued because we we going to friends for the feast where everyone was bringing some favorite dish. So we stopped at a convenience store on the way, then drove into Audubon Park, opened the cans and stirred them into the base. Was delicious, as usual.

My brother and I were sworn to secrecy. This is my favorite memory of Thanksgiving...shivering and giggling in a cold, grey, deserted park making Mother's Peppered Corn.
So what is the recipe for your mother's peppered corn? Do you think it could be made with frozen corn instead of canned?

Old Today, 06:25 PM

571 posts, read 1,044,145 times
I do a pan-fried brussel sprouts with pancetta. Glazed carrots (butter, honey, cinnamon and ginger). Roasted root veggies. Balsamic glazed pearl onions. Along with the traditional stuffing, turkey, potatoes. My focus is on taste and color for a holiday meal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or