U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:31 AM

42,252 posts, read 49,796,479 times

Advertisements

My brother cooks something (usually the turkey), we cook something (usually mashed potatoes, stuffing, green beans, rolls, sweet potatoes), my parents make apps and dessert and get booze, and we eat at my parents' home.

Sometimes guests come.

Eat all day...watch movies and football and play cards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:39 AM

13,182 posts, read 7,408,610 times
There's two of us and two Great Danes. We usually get a few things from HEB, bring them home, eat a little bit, and the rest goes to the dogs. It's too much work to make a meal with only four participants.

Old Yesterday, 07:41 AM

1,372 posts, read 423,213 times
Our church has a big Thanksgiving dinner for everyone the Sunday preceding Thanksgiving. The turkeys are roasted and served by The United Methodist Men's group, and I think they provide the mashed potatoes and gravy, if desired. The rest is a traditional potluck; neighborhood homeless are also welcome; there are not too many -- but this is newer issue.

Our plans for Thanksgiving Day are uncertain right now; depends on what our daughter and son-in-law are doing that day. We do not have a big extended family nearby.

But we will be thankful for our many blessings. My brother and I are direct Mayflower descendants on our paternal side, so I like to look at the historical and also contemporary reasons/celebrations of the holiday.

**Off topic a bit....we recently re-subscribed to our local paper, the AZ Republic, just for Sunday and Wednesday, and found out that for the first time, this year, they will be charging extra [$$] if you want to receive the big Wed paper with all the Thanksgiving day advertisements. I decided to get it, not that I buy much, but like to check out the sales. This is probably a national trend with the big newspapers, so others may see this increase also.

Old Yesterday, 07:59 AM

69,335 posts, read 79,508,905 times
Doing our traditional meat: dinner will be at grand daughters and I will probably bring either an appetizer or salad. That is still up in the air.

Old Yesterday, 08:03 AM

51,300 posts, read 50,558,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I will be home alone and eat whatever I like, probably to include shrimp and ice cream.
My kind of girl!

I won't be home for Thanksgiving, but I might adopt that menu where I will be.

Old Yesterday, 08:15 AM

5,869 posts, read 7,096,869 times
We will have a traditional Thanksgiving meal at my parents' house. 23 of us will be there. All my mother has to prepare is the turkey(s), stuffing and gravy. The rest of us will bring the sides, drinks, desserts, and appetizers. Thus far I've seen salad, pies(me), drinks, mashed potatoes, rolls, fresh green beans, and cauliflower in the messages. Seem to be missing cranberry sauce and sweet potatoes. A few people haven't made decisions yet.

Old Yesterday, 09:19 AM

13,384 posts, read 7,140,948 times
I'm likely to be cooking for just my sister and I - a very non-traditional meal of a childhood favorite that we otherwise never eat. So nostalgic, but not in the typical holiday way.

Old Yesterday, 09:22 AM

10,545 posts, read 11,642,242 times
I'm not, although I would prefer to put a brisket on the smoker. Going to relatives to eat.

Old Yesterday, 09:31 AM

9,502 posts, read 14,300,543 times
I will likely make a mince pie with lattice crust, woven like a basket the way my mother did. I will likely take it to a church and have Thanksgiving dinner with others who would otherwise be alone. Hanniford's runs out of Thanksgiving related food. Last year they ran out of dried currants and NONE SUCH mincemeat. I bought mine yesterday. At Christmas they ran out of fruit cakes. A friend from city-data hand delivered some and introduced me to Claxton fruit cakes from the Carolinas. Best I have ever had.

Old Yesterday, 09:45 AM

8,192 posts, read 7,476,834 times
We will be VIPs at the Dallas Cowboys game thanks to Mr. Jerry Jones!!

No cooking at all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or