U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 08:49 PM

428 posts, read 85,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
I think I might go to to a restaurant or get a frozen turkey dinner.
We started going to a nice restaurant with family. It's great, because everyone can order what they like and none of us are turned into servers and cooks for the evening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2018, 09:05 PM

12,922 posts, read 19,809,103 times
We've done the huge extended family holidays, restaurants, and our share of hosting. I miss the first, but the family is spread across the country now.

Not sure of the plans this year, it will depend on whether or not our son and his gf intend to join us or go to her family's dinner. We won't make a turkey for 2, but we have some nice steaks in the freezer.

Old 10-30-2018, 09:12 PM

214 posts, read 82,919 times
We used to do the traditional Thanksgiving thing, and got tired of it. Finally we decided to do what we want to do vs what society/family expects.

So, our family tradition the past few years has been to eat out at an Indian restaurant! It's perfect for us, a special treat with special meaning, and something to legitimately look forward to.

Old 10-30-2018, 09:37 PM

4,240 posts, read 3,033,996 times
We're going to my brother-in-law's house for a traditional Thanksgiving dinner. I know the food will be great. However, big family, small house...

Old Yesterday, 04:06 AM

4,948 posts, read 2,570,282 times
We are heading to my son's on the West Coast. (We live on the East Coast.) I don't want to cook in someone else's kitchen, my son does not want to go to a restaurant. So I found a Gourmet food place that has pre cooked Thanksgiving dinner. Pretty happy with my choices.

Old Yesterday, 06:23 AM

21,015 posts, read 15,317,177 times
Most of my family is local. My mom or aunt will probably do a turkey. There's an off-chance my grandmother will if she feels like it.

I see all the family I'm close to about every week anyway. I don't want to burn the PTO for the holiday, so I'll probably just work Thanksgiving Day and leave around 4:30.

Old Yesterday, 08:16 AM

3,296 posts, read 1,842,796 times
For about twelve years now we have been hosting a formal five course dinner for my in laws. I told my husband I just dont want to this year. I actually enjoy all the cooking but I hate everything else. I especially hate running down his family to get a head count. They are hard to pin down and it frazzles me.

We have had a couple of invites to different parts of my family but we have declined. What I wanted to do was go to a historic, open since 1790, inn not far from us for dinner. Unfortunately it's already booked solid. I am going to try to find another kind of New England type old historic inn or tavern. Maybe we will head out to The Berkshires or Southern Vermont for the day.

Old Yesterday, 08:17 AM

1,556 posts, read 548,052 times
Dinner will be at my SIL home.

Old Yesterday, 08:36 AM

41,034 posts, read 32,728,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I will be home alone and eat whatever I like, probably to include shrimp and ice cream.
But not shrimp ice cream, right?

Old Yesterday, 08:44 AM

41,034 posts, read 32,728,581 times
Last year we tried the going out to eat thing because different people had problematic work schedules so we just drove down to Austin and met up with some of our adult kids and their dates or friends. We went to one of those Brazilian meat meat meat restaurants, which was PACKED.

We said afterwards "Never again," but it was just because strangely enough, we missed the hoopla of a big family get together at someone's house - apparently we missed the stress of that too - ha!

So this year we are having a big to do at our house with ten people (at least). But once again, I'm TRYING to cut back on the largeness of the whole thing. I mean, I love setting a beautiful table, but I'm really trying not to go full bore or however you say it on the food. There's no point in having leftovers for days and we're going out of town with family the following Saturday.

So I am trying trying trying to limit the scope. Like - not ham AND turkey, come on, just turkey. A Greenberg smoked turkey too. Not 8 side dishes - just dressing, a fruit salad of some sort, cranberry sauce, and the ubiquitous corn dish and green bean casserole. I think I may actually buy the pecan and pumpkin pies, but I do have to make a buttermilk pie. It's ridiculous. Even as I type this I know I am going to go overboard again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or