U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 10:02 AM

17,805 posts, read 3,594,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Last year we tried the going out to eat thing because different people had problematic work schedules so we just drove down to Austin and met up with some of our adult kids and their dates or friends. We went to one of those Brazilian meat meat meat restaurants, which was PACKED.

We said afterwards "Never again," but it was just because strangely enough, we missed the hoopla of a big family get together at someone's house - apparently we missed the stress of that too - ha!

So this year we are having a big to do at our house with ten people (at least). But once again, I'm TRYING to cut back on the largeness of the whole thing. I mean, I love setting a beautiful table, but I'm really trying not to go full bore or however you say it on the food. There's no point in having leftovers for days and we're going out of town with family the following Saturday.

So I am trying trying trying to limit the scope. Like - not ham AND turkey, come on, just turkey. A Greenberg smoked turkey too. Not 8 side dishes - just dressing, a fruit salad of some sort, cranberry sauce, and the ubiquitous corn dish and green bean casserole. I think I may actually buy the pecan and pumpkin pies, but I do have to make a buttermilk pie. It's ridiculous. Even as I type this I know I am going to go overboard again.
Good luck. Maybe just one type of pie?? Love buttermilk pies...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2018, 10:10 AM

41,086 posts, read 32,773,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Good luck. Maybe just one type of pie?? Love buttermilk pies...
Oh, if I have to bake all that I can assure you there will only be one type of pie! But I think there would be a family insurrection if I tried to cut out any of the three types of pies. Thank goodness, we can buy decent pumpkin and pecan pies...

You know what's crazy - there's always left over pumpkin pie we end up throwing away because no one really likes much of it. I think it's mostly the homemade whipped cream that everyone really likes. "I'll have a tiny sliver of pumpkin pie with about a cup of whipped cream on top - thanks."

Old 10-31-2018, 10:17 AM

788 posts, read 325,671 times
We're having Thanksgiving at home by ourselves. We're only cooking for 5, so I don’t need a ton of stuff. Luckily DH and children help out with stuff so it isn’t bad. I think that Thanksgiving is too close to Christmas for most people and people either go all out for Christmas or Thanksgiving, and it usually ends up being Christmas.

I’m thinking about Christmas and how the dinner conversation will be.

Old 10-31-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccernerd View Post
We're having Thanksgiving at home by ourselves. We're only cooking for 5, so I donít need a ton of stuff. Luckily DH and children help out with stuff so it isnít bad. I think that Thanksgiving is too close to Christmas for most people and people either go all out for Christmas or Thanksgiving, and it usually ends up being Christmas.

Iím thinking about Christmas and how the dinner conversation will be.
Our family alternates Christmas and Thanksgiving. By that I mean, one is always a bigger deal than the other. Our kids are grown so that makes it easier. We usually host one or the other at our house,and then go somewhere else for the other one. This year it's Thanksgiving at our house and then we're actually not going anywhere for Christmas but we are going to spend New Years with family.

A quiet Christmas, I mean totally quiet, will be a weird feeling for us, but we are having some major home renovations for about two weeks in December so I'm not even going to decorate anywhere but in the living room. I am not even putting up a big Christmas tree, just two little ones on either side of the fireplace.

I think my husband and I are going to do what we did a few years ago, which was very fun - we went down to San Antonio a week or so before Christmas and stayed down on the Riverwalk in a nice hotel. The weather was gorgeous - crisp but not cold. The Riverwalk was nearly deserted, which was also great because there were no crowds to fight but everything was still open. There were decorative lights everywhere and the views were gorgeous and festive. We drove out to Luckenbach one night and sat around a fire listening to people playing guitars under the trees. It was great. And it felt like Christmas, believe it or not. I am really looking forward to it.

NO COOKING! I can only throw one big holiday party a year. That's all I'm good for!

Old 10-31-2018, 11:01 AM

550 posts, read 804,820 times
I have been going out to eat for a decade or more. The local Brazilian steakhouse has a lovely buffet. They do not have a historic tradition of Thanksgiving so the recipes they use are "different" It is like going to your brother-in-laws family. Not bad just different.

Old 10-31-2018, 11:15 AM

255 posts, read 197,472 times
My life has changed dramatically the last several years. Hubby and I used to host both side of the family sometimes 40+ people for Thanksgiving. He passed away a fee years ago and most of his family lives in another state so they don't come anymore. My Mom passed away earlier this year and my sister and I had a falling out. The rest of my family lives pretty far and they won't be coming.

So that leaves me, my 2 daughters, son in law, and his 2 kids. I'll be going to their house and he will do most of the cooking (he's USAF but oh such a good cook) and I will bake some goodies. I'll actually miss the hustle and bustle but it will still be nice to be with my kids.

Old 10-31-2018, 11:22 AM

18,922 posts, read 12,528,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Truth to tell, does anyone really like roast turkey?

I mean turkey breast/white meat is well enough for a sandwich and or in salad, but have never been keen on eating it on its own.

Even as a kid always mushed my turkey together with cranberry sauce, dressing, gravy or something in order to get it down. That way it isn't so bad...

Now leftovers the next few days aren't so bad. Mom would make things like "turkey chow mien", turkey pot pies, turkey sandwiches (great along with some nice hot soup...), those sort of things. The carcass would be boiled down for stock to make turkey noodle and veggie soup.
I like turkey. My DH likes turkey. Doing a brine or dry rub makes turkey very good. And modern turkeys have juices injected into them to help keep the breast meat moist. If the white meat gets a little dry, well, you have either the natural juices or homemade gravy to moisten it.

But long ago I discovered that I preferred dark meat which is moist.

When I was a kid, in antidiluvean times, turkeys were often less plump and dryer. In the last 40 years or so, they have improved. If you are getting dry white meat now, you might check how you are roasting it. There is a way to roast it upside down, I believe.

I make soup from the carcass too.

Old 10-31-2018, 11:23 AM

7,873 posts, read 10,169,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Dunno what "Sprout's" is, but that sounds good!
It's a Farmer's Market. Inexpensive fruits and vegetables, frozen healthy foods, supplements and other stuff. Deli & prepared foods. Not expensive like Whole Foods, which I never shop in.

https://www.sprouts.com/ Headquarters in Arizona, but also in other regions.

Old 10-31-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annieosage View Post
My life has changed dramatically the last several years. Hubby and I used to host both side of the family sometimes 40+ people for Thanksgiving. He passed away a fee years ago and most of his family lives in another state so they don't come anymore. My Mom passed away earlier this year and my sister and I had a falling out. The rest of my family lives pretty far and they won't be coming.

So that leaves me, my 2 daughters, son in law, and his 2 kids. I'll be going to their house and he will do most of the cooking (he's USAF but oh such a good cook) and I will bake some goodies. I'll actually miss the hustle and bustle but it will still be nice to be with my kids.
Yes, it's funny how things ebb and flow and the key is to find our happy place regardless of the changes.

Five years ago my husband and I had four living parents, all in relatively good health (at least they were all mobile and living independently). We had a passle of young adult kids living near by. We had HUGE holiday dinners nearly always at our house. We had big birthday parties and cook outs throughout the year as well.

Fast forward five years and now we only have one living parent - my mom, and she has advanced dementia and can't even be taken out of her facility. Our adult kids are scattered and two of our sons have to work the day before and day after Thanksgiving so they can't come. One brother is recovering from cancer treatments so he and his family aren't traveling down. We had a major falling out with one of our daughters - over the care of my dying, deathly sick elderly parents, which she wasn't even involved in and so don't complain, right? So we are estranged from her and her family (including four grandkids) even though they live nearby. That's been a hard thing to work through. Our other daughter and family with grandkids live many states away but thank God they are coming down - before they move overseas for three years.

So long story short, while we do get together with family for at least one major holiday every year, and while we are hosting about 8 folks here for Thanksgiving, our Christmas is probably going to be really quiet, and we are learning how to navigate holidays on a much smaller scale.

And you know what - it's good. It's different, but it's good. Life is what we make it. No point in dwelling on fantasies that never really were reality anyway.

Old 10-31-2018, 02:00 PM

6,832 posts, read 14,612,396 times
Will probably cook a turkey (even though it is just the two of us this year), not because I really like plain turkey but because I love thick-slice cold turkey, bacon, cheese and stuffing sandwiches for the next 5 days or so. Since it is just us it'll probably be turkey, gravy, stuffing, home-made cranberry relish, roasted veggies, green beans with bacon, onions and almonds and ... I haven't decided what kind of pie.

Usually we head down to our son's house (he is our only living relative, outside distant cousins and the spouse's very-distant sister) but this year he has a business trip and then is going on a short cruise with his gf, so he doesn't have the usual 7-8 open days. He is coming up here for his off time in December (although I am not sure why, late December/early January is our worst weather of the year - maybe he just wants to be reminded of why he lives near LA and puts up with a 1.5 hour commute to work).

We tried to do the restaurant thing a couple years in a row but didn't care for it.
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or