U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 11:30 AM

8,178 posts, read 14,270,213 times

Advertisements

It wasn't around for me growing up. I detest the dish and refuse to even try it. First, it has mushrooms; second, it has canned soup and it's mushroom soup no less! Give me some nice, fresh green beans please. Thanksgiving dinner is complete without this awful dish. I am willing to give up my creamed onions for a dish of real vegetable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2018, 11:33 AM

51,345 posts, read 50,591,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Interesting article, terrible side dish. Canned green beans are disgusting, and canned cream of mushroom soup is not very tasty either. I think you had to grow up on this to like it.
That's exactly it. It's probably not something someone would start eating at 40. Even now, I prefer it made with frozen green beans, but when I was a kid, we ate canned vegetables and soups all the time. Most people did, in the 60s, especially if there were a lot of kids in the family.

Old 10-30-2018, 11:41 AM

15,203 posts, read 16,061,842 times
I'm in my mid-fifties, have never liked this dish and have always referred to it as
Spoiler
Snot Casserole
It's a texture thing.

But if you like it and are looking forward to it this year, I'm happy you're happy!

Old 10-30-2018, 12:06 PM

173 posts, read 55,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Interesting article, terrible side dish. Canned green beans are disgusting, and canned cream of mushroom soup is not very tasty either. I think you had to grow up on this to like it.

I had never had it before I was in my mid to late 20s...and I like it. But then again I have eaten and can think of a lot worse than canned vegetables or canned soup. I've actually had it when it was made with fresh green beans and I thought it didn't work very well. In truth this is not a dish for food snobs.

Old 10-30-2018, 12:12 PM

10,165 posts, read 16,739,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
I had never had it before I was in my mid to late 20s...and I like it. But then again I have eaten and can think of a lot worse than canned vegetables or canned soup. I've actually had it when it was made with fresh green beans and I thought it didn't work very well. In truth this is not a dish for food snobs.
It's a matter of taste, not snobbery. I also had it for the first time in my 20's.

Canned mushy vegetables such as green beans or peas are some of the most vile foods I can think of. But I'm no food snob, I love Kraft mac and cheese and fast food burgers and fries.

Old 10-30-2018, 12:19 PM

1,744 posts, read 706,991 times
I have eaten it but I much prefer sweet potato casserole with some kind of crunchy brown sugar pecan topping, which I will happily scoop off the top when no one is looking.

I can't think of the last time I ate canned vegetables.

Old 10-30-2018, 02:39 PM

11,364 posts, read 5,868,909 times
From the Campbells recipe:
Quote:
For the cooked green beans: Use 1 bag (16 to 20 ounces) frozen green beans, thawed, 2 packages (9 ounces each) frozen green beans, thawed, 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) green beans, drained or about 1 1/2 pounds fresh green beans for this recipe.

I personally can't imagine ever allowing frozen or canned green beans in my door. Nasty!

I'm sticking with haricots verts steamed/sauteed in a little water and olive oil topped with toasted sliced almonds.

Old 10-30-2018, 02:59 PM

30,503 posts, read 9,116,959 times
I never liked stringy green beans or those canned onion things, so I never made this dish.

However, I did make something similar (not for Thanksgiving, though) for the kids and DH, substituting frozen peas for the green beans, and a can of chow mein noodles for those onions. We all liked it.

Old 10-30-2018, 03:01 PM

5,149 posts, read 3,649,847 times
You DON"T have to use canned or frozen for this dish. Buy fresh, cook them in a tiny bit of water until tender, drain and follow the recipe.

You DON"T have to use mushroom soup either. Buy fresh mushrooms, chop them, fry them in a bit of butter, add a bit of corn starch and milk or cream and stir until thickened. Mix that into the cooked green beans.

Now one thing I can't believe I haven't see anyone posting is the addition of GRATED CHEDDAR CHEESE! Stir about 1/2 cup into the green bean/mushroom soup/dried onions and also grate some on top before you pop it into the oven. Delish!

Old 10-30-2018, 03:43 PM

18,911 posts, read 12,513,229 times
I know people love this, but I won’t make it, or willingly eat it because—canned grean beans, canned soup, greasy canned onion rings? Well, it is not to my taste. It is not healthy.

But it definitely is well loved for Thanksgiving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or