U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 04:07 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,166,828 times

Advertisements

We ate so many of these growing up. They were okay, but the memories surrounding the casseroles were much better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2018, 08:51 PM

1,597 posts, read 1,280,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocopsonite View Post
Dorcas Reilly, whose iconic green bean casserole dish graces millions of Thanksgiving tables each year, dies at 92

I didn't see this posted, and how can we let her passing go by without a tribute?

The test history card is fascinating!
RIP Mrs. Reilly. I've loved green bean casserole from the first time I tasted it at a potluck in the late 1980s. Just had some last week at a cafeteria that I went to for lunch

Old 10-30-2018, 11:34 PM

15,005 posts, read 16,568,235 times
It is not a dish I grew up with, but I have had it several times in adulthood and I like it very much. RIP.

Old 10-31-2018, 05:55 AM

9,130 posts, read 3,944,191 times
I eat it once a year at Thanksgiving when my niece brings it. It's not something I would ever make as I don't eat canned vegetables except for this.

Old 10-31-2018, 06:09 AM

5,333 posts, read 7,671,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Interesting article, terrible side dish. Canned green beans are disgusting, and canned cream of mushroom soup is not very tasty either. I think you had to grow up on this to like it.
If you use fresh green beans and make a sauce with a few varieties of fresh mushrooms, caramelized onions, shallots, and some fresh herbs it is really good.

But canned vegetables and canned soup aren’t healthy or tasty.

Old 10-31-2018, 07:36 AM

34,645 posts, read 42,792,739 times
We always have it for thanksgiving. We make it as directed and everyone loves it. We call it, “ the dreaded green bean casserole”. I use frozen green beans. I tried to eliminate it, but then I acquired a DIL who had never had it, and she loves it, so I’ll always make it.

Old 10-31-2018, 07:54 AM

51,358 posts, read 50,609,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
If you use fresh green beans and make a sauce with a few varieties of fresh mushrooms, caramelized onions, shallots, and some fresh herbs it is really good.

But canned vegetables and canned soup aren’t healthy or tasty.
I don't think that's the point, though, or that anyone who eats it at Thanksgiving is fretting over "healthy". As you read, it's a dish concocted by a canned food company in the 1950s to promote their products. It's a childhood favorite and a tradition in some households. Tasty is subjective. I find it tasty, but once a year is sufficient.

Two years ago, I made a vegan version of it with fresh beans, mushrooms and onions, and cashew "cream" for Thanksgiving. It was a pain to grind the cashews, but most people liked it.

Old 10-31-2018, 07:58 AM

51,358 posts, read 50,609,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
We always have it for thanksgiving. We make it as directed and everyone loves it. We call it, “ the dreaded green bean casserole”. I use frozen green beans. I tried to eliminate it, but then I acquired a DIL who had never had it, and she loves it, so I’ll always make it.
Yes, I think whoever makes it in my family switched over to frozen green beans years ago.

Old 10-31-2018, 07:59 AM

41,074 posts, read 32,757,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I don’t care for canned vegetables or canned soup, but I have been making a homemade version of this recipe for years.

I use fresh green beans, a mushroom gravy with fresh mushrooms, shallots, and caramelized onions. Even people who don’t like the classic green bean bake love the homemade version.
You must have a better recipe than my daughter, who is a good cook and who tried replacing the "original" (and I'm sure terrible for us) casserole with organic green beans, homemade mushroom gravy, and organic onions which were sauteed. It was awful. Afterwards, we didn't say anything to her but she piped up, "Next year I'm going back to the classic recipe!" and we all said "YAYYYYYY!!!!!!"

I know it's full of sodium, non organic, not fresh, from aluminum cans, and all that jazz, but dang it, it's delicious in a bad way. We have it one day a year so I don't feel so bad. We also eat all sorts of other crazy stuff that day too. Don't get me started on the corn and cream cheese dish...

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 10-31-2018 at 08:33 AM..

Old 10-31-2018, 08:01 AM

41,074 posts, read 32,757,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That's exactly it. It's probably not something someone would start eating at 40.
We actually never had it growing up, but my daughter's midwestern husband did, and he demands it on Thanksgiving. So it's been incorporated and I hate to admit it but I think it's really tasty. In an awful sort of way. It's chock full of things I never eat any other time of the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or