U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 11:27 AM

42,272 posts, read 49,833,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocopsonite View Post
Dorcas Reilly, whose iconic green bean casserole dish graces millions of Thanksgiving tables each year, dies at 92

I didn't see this posted, and how can we let her passing go by without a tribute?

The test history card is fascinating!
My wife loves this, but I'll never understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2018, 02:41 PM

1,808 posts, read 2,414,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't think that's the point, though, or that anyone who eats it at Thanksgiving is fretting over "healthy". As you read, it's a dish concocted by a canned food company in the 1950s to promote their products. It's a childhood favorite and a tradition in some households. Tasty is subjective. I find it tasty, but once a year is sufficient.

Two years ago, I made a vegan version of it with fresh beans, mushrooms and onions, and cashew "cream" for Thanksgiving. It was a pain to grind the cashews, but most people liked it.
I'm not a fan of that casserole, but would eat it if was served to me. I definitely would never make it or serve it to others, unless requested. I don't mind cooking things for other people if they ask me to.

But you're right - I don't think that most people are thinking about "healthy" eating on Thanksgiving. Most of the side dishes are full of calories and foods that aren't all that healthy. Stuffing? Basically a lot of bread. Mashed potatoes with cream, butter and full of fat gravy, etc. But I wouldn't want to miss out on eating all the traditional and delicious foods we have on Thanksgiving.

We can be healthy the rest of the year, if we want to, right?

Old 10-31-2018, 05:54 PM

17,601 posts, read 21,790,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I still like it but make mine using fresh green beans, fresh onions, a few tablespoons of crm of mushroom soup and whole milk, a little white wine,
butter....still use fried onion topping.
I think that today, most people who make this, make a version that uses fresh green beans and make their own sauce. I add some white wine, too. My sauce is a little creamy with fresh mushrooms and onions.

I can't part with the crunchy onions, though.

Dorcas deserves our respect, though.

Old 10-31-2018, 07:37 PM

51,358 posts, read 50,609,566 times
I like the white wine idea, sheena12.

Old 10-31-2018, 08:24 PM

17,601 posts, read 21,790,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I like the white wine idea, sheena12.
Makes the sauce a little less thick and lighter. For people who can not, for one reason or another, have wine, the alcohol cooks out.

If they still want to avoid it, apple juice, apple cider, watered down lemon juice or vegetable broth with a squeeze of fresh lemon work well.

I NEVER, EVER use cooking wine! It's like a weeks allotment of sodium in a serving. Perhaps exaggerate, but that stuff is so salty.

Old 10-31-2018, 08:49 PM

720 posts, read 219,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I donít care for canned vegetables or canned soup, but I have been making a homemade version of this recipe for years.

I use fresh green beans, a mushroom gravy with fresh mushrooms, shallots, and caramelized onions. Even people who donít like the classic green bean bake love the homemade version.
I wonder if Iíd like yours. Iíve never cared for it even though everyone I know since I was a kid makes it every year. I never make it. Whenever Iím invited somewhere they always serve it and I take or am plated out a helping. I eat it and tell the hostess or host how good it was. They seem to want everyone to like it and Iím a guest and friend so itís ok. Then I go back home and donít have to eat it for another year. Lol.

Old 11-01-2018, 12:23 AM

182 posts, read 45,185 times
We'll do both at our T-day potluck party this year and I will take a little survey of which one they prefer most (fresh vs. Canned) I personally have cut green beans in a can regularly as a snack and think they're really nice. Not sure why people are so adverse to them. Healthy and tasty, but I digress. I suspect if people made the green bean casserole from scratch, the biggest issue would be tough-as-leather string beans because most don't know how to cook fresh veg.

What a great tribute to Dorcus Reilly --it tugs on all American's hearts to lose a pioneer who shockingly was able to have her creation become one of those dishes we all look forward to at our family gatherings during the holidays.

Families are the most important, but green-bean casserole is something that will always remind us of those reunions.

May she rest in peace

Old Yesterday, 12:28 PM

7,608 posts, read 10,409,927 times
I am the only person in North America whose family never served that green bean casserole. When I finally had it (at someone else's house) I thought it was gross. Still do.

Old Yesterday, 03:34 PM

12,616 posts, read 14,630,194 times
I grew up with the mushroom soup green bean casserole, but now make my sauce with sour cream instead of canned soup.

Old Yesterday, 03:42 PM

41,074 posts, read 32,757,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I am the only person in North America whose family never served that green bean casserole. When I finally had it (at someone else's house) I thought it was gross. Still do.
Well, when I was growing up, my family never served it either. I doubt my mom ever made it even a single time in her life, and I know my grandmothers didn't. I don't think I even tasted it till my daughter's husband, who is from the midwest, started insisting on having it for Thanksgiving, because his mom always made it. So my daughter started making it and now, dang it if I don't like it myself, even though I know it is terrible health wise, and definitely not "classy" or whatever. I am usually a food snob, but I take the snob glasses off at Thanksgiving and Christmas because what the heck - let people eat what they love. That's what it's all about to me those days - memories, love, traditions, etc. Different families have different traditions.

I personally would be just as happy making some unique sort of dressing or stuffing - something fabulous with all sorts of exotic ingredients and fresh herbs from our garden. But that's not what my husband or kids want - they want GRANDMOTHER'S CORNBREAD DRESSING so that's what I make. And it IS good - but it is certainly not sophisticated or even pretty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or