U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 10:55 PM

978 posts, read 784,309 times

Advertisements

Dorcas Reilly, whose iconic green bean casserole dish graces millions of Thanksgiving tables each year, dies at 92

I didn't see this posted, and how can we let her passing go by without a tribute?

The test history card is fascinating!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 04:34 AM

17,165 posts, read 22,189,403 times
havent had this for years.....hmmm..is this the side that has fried onions on top?

i think its awesome someone can try something new and it gets in American culture... she should have a gravestone in the shape of a casserole dish

Old Yesterday, 05:06 AM

13,117 posts, read 17,658,319 times
wow that is sad that she passed but I love green bean casserole . the original and the one my sister in law makes with cheddar cheese soup instead of cream of mushroom soup . her daughter is allergic to mushrooms . They all will be in Vermont this year with sil s family .

Old Yesterday, 06:02 AM

5,330 posts, read 7,665,716 times
I don’t care for canned vegetables or canned soup, but I have been making a homemade version of this recipe for years.

I use fresh green beans, a mushroom gravy with fresh mushrooms, shallots, and caramelized onions. Even people who don’t like the classic green bean bake love the homemade version.

Old Yesterday, 07:15 AM

5,181 posts, read 3,003,441 times
Chef Daughter make it from scratch, too, right down to the little onion crisps on top. But you can't beat that old-fashioned, down-home canned taste. LOL

Rest in peas, Dorcas. It's bean good.

Old Yesterday, 08:06 AM

51,301 posts, read 50,558,025 times
There was an article years ago in the NY Times food section about Thanksgiving, and they interviewed city restaurant chefs about what they brought to their family dinners. One of them said, "I'm not cooking, my mother is, and I'm looking forward to the green bean casserole."

Old Yesterday, 09:02 AM

17,582 posts, read 3,567,272 times
I still like it but make mine using fresh green beans, fresh onions, a few tablespoons of crm of mushroom soup and whole milk, a little white wine,
butter....still use fried onion topping.

Old Yesterday, 10:43 AM

4,860 posts, read 2,155,582 times
As my brother said one year...
Hey did you know green bean casserole ranks right up there with.... (pauses ever so slightly ).

Let me rephrase that...it ranks . (End of story).

I have no acquired taste for this casserole. Sounds like it has some good followers though. Bon appetite to the fans of this t-day dish.

Old Yesterday, 10:53 AM

10,146 posts, read 16,731,297 times
Interesting article, terrible side dish. Canned green beans are disgusting, and canned cream of mushroom soup is not very tasty either. I think you had to grow up on this to like it.

Old Yesterday, 11:18 AM

8,185 posts, read 7,476,834 times
My favorite thing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or