U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 10:32 AM

43 posts, read 13,033 times

Advertisements

I never buy organic milk because of the 2X price. But I just had a chance to taste organic milk, and I find the milk to be thicker than the regular Vitamin D milk I buy, and there is a more intense milk flavor. In another word, the regular milk more watery and more flat in taste.

Is it true and if so, what accounts for this difference? My understanding of the difference is just that the cows are not fed hormones that increase milk production. I had expected everything else to be the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2018, 11:18 AM

8,198 posts, read 7,496,371 times
Yes, it is much tastier.

Old 10-31-2018, 01:52 PM

687 posts, read 145,378 times
Is it the same as raw milk?

Old 10-31-2018, 03:31 PM

805 posts, read 183,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
I never buy organic milk because of the 2X price. But I just had a chance to taste organic milk, and I find the milk to be thicker than the regular Vitamin D milk I buy, and there is a more intense milk flavor. In another word, the regular milk more watery and more flat in taste.

Is it true and if so, what accounts for this difference? My understanding of the difference is just that the cows are not fed hormones that increase milk production. I had expected everything else to be the same.
The UHT pasteurization technique used in much organic milk results in a slightly different mouthfeel- a bit creamier in sensation than that resulting from most "normal" pasteurized milk. See if it says UHT treated on your carton.

Old 10-31-2018, 03:33 PM

805 posts, read 183,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
No

Old 10-31-2018, 07:50 PM

15,017 posts, read 16,584,830 times
Also consider that often, organic milk comes from smaller farms that may have other practices that affect the flavor of the milk such as dairy grazing, and grass based feeds.

Old 10-31-2018, 08:34 PM

33,666 posts, read 51,907,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Yes, it is much tastier.
Yes, it is, but there are also other factors contributing to a better taste.

Pasteurization: There are several different types of pasteurization. While unpasteurized milk is still far superior to pasteurized milk, many of us don't have access to or can't afford raw milk. The Vat milk taste is pretty awesome too. UHT paste worst.
https://www.deliciousobsessions.com/...asteurization/

Containers: Glass bottles don't transfer a foreign scent and taste into the milk, the way paper or plastic containers do. Drinking milk from glass bottles is the only way to get that delicious true milk taste.
I personally hate the milk taste from cardboard boxes.

I would love to see those refill milk vending machines in the US, where I could fill my own glass container.
Spoiler

Old 10-31-2018, 08:52 PM

33,666 posts, read 51,907,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
No, and sadly, it's very hard to buy raw milk in the US.
I am buying mine at a Farmers Market.

Big Dairy doesn’t want the public to have easy access to raw milk because this would require local delivery networks that would keep the profits within the community which would crowd out massive and highly profitable corporate distribution channels.

https://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist....sa-and-canada/

Old 11-01-2018, 01:45 AM

7,582 posts, read 8,005,409 times
I just also recently discovered organic milk. Some brands are creamier than others, but all taste much better than regular milk. It also lasts about 10X longer without getting spoiled than regular milk. I wait for sales and coupons. Normally, I would buy a quart, but I can buy 1/2 gallon of organic milk on sale and keep it longer so in the end, it's actually cheaper for us.

Old 11-01-2018, 03:16 AM

1,499 posts, read 1,356,174 times
I prefer regular milk but usually buy organic because it lasts longer. The organic has a sweet artificial taste while the regular milk has a richer, more complex flavor. But the regular milk that I buy is from a local dairy that has very good milk. I never buy the cheaper store brand milk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or