U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 09:22 PM

15,642 posts, read 9,683,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfertx View Post
I'm learning to cook with a Crock pot because I suck at cooking and I'm interested in making chicken Marsala. Looking at the cooking instructions for both slow cooker and stove pan, I don't see the benefits of using a slow cooker over a pan except it that using a Crock pot may need a little less work.

What am I missing here? Is there more flavor using the slow cooker?

Convenience and ease. I dump a bunch of ingredients in the crock pot, either go to bed or go to work, and in 6-8 hours, the food is ready to eat. I don't get fancy with my recipes, I just will throw a pot roast in, cover it with carrots, potatoes, onion, celery, and some broth, and a little seasoning. Always turns out great, and we have a couple of meals out of it.

I have the big crockpot and load it to the top.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 01:02 AM

283 posts, read 39,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
The best use for a crock pot is to put a meal in to cook while you are away from home. You get home and there is a hot meal all ready.

Exactly! That crockpot saved my life when I was a working mom. It was great to open the front door and smell a cooked meal after being at work all day and then heading home from the daycare, school, kids sports, etc.

And it is true that beans and legumes in the crockpot are wonderful, except for pintos, which I still havenít figured out.

Old Yesterday, 03:34 AM

674 posts, read 142,800 times
My slow cooker weighs about 500 pounds and resides outside in the carport. It can take any tough meat and make it tender without swimming in its own fat. It also is great for smoking turkey, chicken, sausages, beans etc. I have another one that can be used for low and slow cooking or grilling or be cranked up to 900F for pizza and can be used to bake bread. I'll stick to the stove top and oven for cooking everyday meals and the pressure cooker does a great job on dried beans. Not a fan of meat, poultry, soups and stews prepared using something I can't remove the fat from as needed. I'm sure these new (crock pots arrived in the 70's) versions are a great convenience to quite a few, but they are just not for me.

Old Yesterday, 04:24 AM

9,512 posts, read 14,306,716 times
Slow cookers are very expensive to use. The only benefit is scheduling. Your meal cooks while you are at work and clean-up is easier.

People have used slow cookers for years before we had electricity. you put your meal in the pot on a trivet on the wood stove. Over the pot you put a metal box like a breadbox with no bottom. It works just as well as the electric ones.

Millennials have no idea what I'm talking about. My house was built in 1885 and I could live very comfortably the way the builders did. Millennials don't even know how to build a fire without matches.

Old Yesterday, 05:01 AM

5,149 posts, read 3,649,847 times
I love my slow cooker for my ham with bone in. I cut off all visible fat, put it in the slow cooker with lid on no need to add water or broth and just set it on med-low for the day.

Delish and it just falls off the bone.

It cooks in its own juices and there is lots of natural ham broth left over to make soup the next day.

Old Yesterday, 05:47 AM

7,785 posts, read 5,351,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Slow cookers are very expensive to use. The only benefit is scheduling. Your meal cooks while you are at work and clean-up is easier.

People have used slow cookers for years before we had electricity. you put your meal in the pot on a trivet on the wood stove. Over the pot you put a metal box like a breadbox with no bottom. It works just as well as the electric ones.

Millennials have no idea what I'm talking about. My house was built in 1885 and I could live very comfortably the way the builders did. Millennials don't even know how to build a fire without matches.
...Okay....?

Did the old folks back in your day sneer at you and your peers for not knowing how to make soap out of ash and animal carcass?

--

How are slow cookers "very expensive to use" anyway?

Old Yesterday, 05:53 AM

34,622 posts, read 42,779,610 times
I used mine sometimes when I was working, but I never use it now that Iím retired. I like using the oven for slow cooking meals, because the timing is predictable.

Old Yesterday, 08:07 AM

21,022 posts, read 25,817,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyeaux View Post
Oregon, please explain what's better about the dutch oven. I love pot roast and crock pot works for me. But help me understand what will be different if I go with my Le Creuset Dutch Oven. Thanks!
You will get a lot more caramelization in the Dutch oven. Gravy will be darker and richer. Meat will be roasted instead of stewed.

However, I use the crock pot more often for pot roast and it is delicious. The dutch oven is for when I will be home all day to check on it occassionally. Timing doesn't matter much with the crockpot, but with the dutch oven, you have to check and get it out when meat is tender, nicely browned, but before it reaches the point where it will burn. Which is fine as long as you are going to be home anyway but you can't put it in the oven and go to work.

Old Yesterday, 10:32 AM

11,734 posts, read 16,473,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
My guess is that the crock pot does tend to turn things somewhat watery, since the steam basically has nowhere to go, so it just drips right back down into the dish.
Only if you use water My pot roast takes a dip in Guiness and does just fine. Yesterday's beef ragu ended up in the crocky for about three hours in Merlot.

Old Yesterday, 10:42 AM

28,444 posts, read 2,213,490 times
I love my crock pot, we have a metal one, so browning in the crock on the stove top, is an option, but, tbh, I do not notice any difference in the quality, whether the meat is browned or not. I love it for pork, corned beef & pot roast, & stews. When I was working, it so so great to come home to a cooked meal. Now I am retired but still use it often. I don't understand why someone thinks it is expensive, for me, I am sure it is cheaper than having the oven on. I love the fact I can leave it on, & go out. I would never leave the stove unattended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or