U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 07:38 PM

1,775 posts, read 2,590,161 times

Advertisements

I'm new to the San Antonio area after living my entire life on the east coast. When I go grocery shopping, I notice that most of the stores have a section where they have tons of bagged up plain tortillas and they are busy making fresh ones. THese are large size like wraps. There's obviously a high demand for them here but what do you do with them aside from making soft tacos or enchiladas?

I also have noticed hardshell ones packaged up. What do you do with them? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2018, 07:48 PM

10,171 posts, read 16,743,649 times
A taco is pretty much anything in a tortilla. My personal favorite main fillings are shredded beef, pinto or black beans, or avocado slices. Will add some combination of hot sauce or salsa, sour cream, cheese, onion, and shredded lettuce or cabbage to those.

I also make fusion tacos like Asian-spiced meatballs served with shredded cabbage and hoisin or plum sauce.

You can also make your own pinwheel wraps using deli meat and cheese and veggies.

Quesadillas are also popular in my home.

Note that those grocery store fresh tortillas will taste better than the kind in the bread aisle, but will not keep nearly as long.

Old 11-01-2018, 07:54 PM

9,894 posts, read 5,788,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
I'm new to the San Antonio area after living my entire life on the east coast. When I go grocery shopping, I notice that most of the stores have a section where they have tons of bagged up plain tortillas and they are busy making fresh ones. THese are large size like wraps. There's obviously a high demand for them here but what do you do with them aside from making soft tacos or enchiladas?

I also have noticed hardshell ones packaged up. What do you do with them? Thanks!
Send them my way

I like mine for wraps - mostly small but can do large too. We have a quesadilla maker at the house. I've made them on occasion as well.

Old 11-01-2018, 08:02 PM

33,647 posts, read 51,869,674 times
Use like a flat bread, make tacos, enchiladas, wraps, French toast, migas, "sushi' rolls, chips, cannelloni, mini pizza, chimichanga, lasagna, nachos...
Sweet or savory.
There are flour, whole wheat and corn tortillas, and some are mixed with spinach, bluecorn,
paprika, cilantro etc.
Healthiest tortilla are made of corn

Old 11-01-2018, 08:17 PM

2,540 posts, read 852,987 times
I heat it, glide stick of butter all over, roll, eat. If you're Homer Simpson, you place the entire stick and then roll it up. But the other suggestions are good, too.

Old 11-01-2018, 08:54 PM

8,608 posts, read 11,894,715 times
The flat crispy ones are for chalupas (aka tostada at Taco Bell).

Old 11-01-2018, 09:09 PM

51,358 posts, read 50,609,566 times
I have a package of 11 of those things in my freezer. I've been wondering what to do with them, too. I'm not really a Mexican food person.

I took one out one day and thawed it, but it seemed a bit soggy, so I laid it for a bit on top of the toaster and pressed the toaster down. I watched it for a short time till it smelled good, and then I put burrata and tomato on it.

Old Yesterday, 05:02 AM

69,367 posts, read 79,558,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post

almost all Mexican food start with using tortillas in some form and if not, they are used to replace bread. Heck we use them, even small ones for roll ups at lunch sometimes. For those of us who have been raised around Mexican food, tortillas is probably the number one thing that comes to mind when we think ingredients when making home made Mexican anything Well not everything, but most entrees at least.

Old Yesterday, 06:10 AM

11,741 posts, read 16,479,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I have a package of 11 of those things in my freezer. I've been wondering what to do with them, too. I'm not really a Mexican food person.

I took one out one day and thawed it, but it seemed a bit soggy, so I laid it for a bit on top of the toaster and pressed the toaster down. I watched it for a short time till it smelled good, and then I put burrata and tomato on it.
I heat them straight on the gas burner until they bubble up.

Old Yesterday, 06:11 AM

11,741 posts, read 16,479,901 times
Add some spice and a spray of oil to make fresh chips - deep fried or in the air fryer. Fill with an omlett, freeze - homemade pocket sandwiches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or