U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 12:17 PM

15,308 posts, read 15,295,773 times

Advertisements

Good, but something in the pickling-process gives me heartburn, dang!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2018, 12:47 PM

925 posts, read 822,572 times
Yes, a Russian store would definitely have it, as well as sprats, cod liver and other fish products. There are also Russian food companies in the US that sell some items online, just look it up. For fresh fish a local Asian market (like Korean Hmart chain) should have a great selection.

I hate herrings personally, so tuna etc. fish in regular grocery stores works well for me.

Old 11-03-2018, 01:52 PM

7,618 posts, read 10,437,467 times
Our Winco sells Vita brand but there are other brands that are better. The one and only time I was in Finland, my hotel had a breakfast buffet with twelve kinds of herring, including some that were so spicy I only took a nibble. I love herring.

Old 11-03-2018, 01:53 PM

9,208 posts, read 10,179,408 times
I love pickled herring and eat it virtually every day. The brand is Lasco; I buy it at Walmart. Walmart carries a variety of canned herring as well; so does Amazon.

Old 11-03-2018, 02:13 PM

34,756 posts, read 42,901,587 times
I get it at Christmas in almost any grocery store. Our family was Swedish, and we had it with crackers. My grandfather used to call it Swedish turkey, so we kids would eat it. Now, only one of my 4 kids will eat it, but I usually get a jar for nostalgia.

You have to be careful though. Once I got some with bones in it and that was truly gross.

Old 11-03-2018, 02:56 PM

3,024 posts, read 1,271,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelenap View Post
Yes, a Russian store would definitely have it, as well as sprats, cod liver and other fish products. There are also Russian food companies in the US that sell some items online, just look it up. For fresh fish a local Asian market (like Korean Hmart chain) should have a great selection.
I live near an H-Mart, and go there pretty often. It has a good selection of canned fish, which I buy most times I go. Exotic stuff too, like jellyfish in hot chili sauce. (Herring, interestingly, is not common, except in the Western food aisle.) Cashiers sometimes get a slightly confused look on their faces when they see a Caucasian man buying preserved jellyfish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Our Winco sells Vita brand but there are other brands that are better. The one and only time I was in Finland, my hotel had a breakfast buffet with twelve kinds of herring, including some that were so spicy I only took a nibble. I love herring.
That's cool. I saw something similar at a breakfast buffet in Israel. There was a selection of various herring pates. Herring pate is basically herring fillets ground into a paste, and mixed in with optional flavorings, like tomato, onion, or mushroom. Then it's served on buttered bread. This is rooted in Jewish dietary (kosher) laws. Because milk is common at breakfast, you can't serve meat, let alone bacon. All breakfast dishes must be dairy or parve (either meat nor dairy). Fish and eggs are considered parve. But since people want protein at breakfast, fish becomes a stand-in for meat, even though many Israeli Jews don't keep kosher.

Old 11-03-2018, 04:41 PM

13,730 posts, read 22,900,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
... why is so hard to buy one?
Herring is a very unpopular fish in the US.
When you go to a store, to the fish aisle - tuna is the king. Tuna in oil, tuna in light oil and tuna in water. Sometimes in tomato. Sooooo boring! There might be a can or two of salmon and mackerel, perhaps few sardines, a trout if you're lucky and that generally covers the fish assortment. Everything it's in oil or water.

I see pickled herring everywhere I have lived including Tucson although the selection is more limited in the southwest.

Pickled herring is generally found in the fresh fish section. I get the Vita brand as well as Ma Baench's.

Herring was a staple for my grandparents who would buy a cask of it during the Lenten Season. My parents would usually serve it on New Year's Eve. Generally, my tastes have moved on to smoked salmon, lox and sashimi although I have had a lot of it when I was doing an assignment with Vita about twelve years ago.

Last edited by jlawrence01; 11-03-2018 at 04:59 PM..

Old 11-03-2018, 05:23 PM

148 posts, read 34,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
i sell three different brands of pickled herring..

80% of the grocery stores in maine do sell them

I use to give them away as stocking stuffers.... (little jars, like baby food jars)

its funny its like dried/salted cod fillets.....you'd think most of the buyers would be old people....but for whatever reason the pickled herring are making a slight comeback....
20 years ago id have guessed they'd go the way of the canned ham.... and slowly die
Dried, salted cod (baccala) is still a big seller here in our local Italian market as are other fish such as smelts--especially around Christmas (Feast of the Seven Fishes). Salt cod chowder is an especial favorite of mine at any time of year.

Pickled herring and herring in sour cream are sold in the refrigerated section of most of our local grocery stores as well as the marketplace section of our local IKEA. If there's an IKEA near where the O.P. lives, that might be the best place for he or she to find it locally.

Old 11-03-2018, 05:35 PM

34,756 posts, read 42,901,587 times
Publix has it.

Old 11-03-2018, 06:56 PM

16,963 posts, read 19,757,803 times
I have found it in the refrigerated section where the jarred pickles are of the Jewish section of the supermarket, Russian/Polish stores should have it. or order online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink