U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-03-2018, 07:49 PM
 
Location: Eugene, Oregon
7,339 posts, read 2,300,515 times
Reputation: 10048

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
i sell three different brands of pickled herring..

80% of the grocery stores in maine do sell them

I use to give them away as stocking stuffers.... (little jars, like baby food jars)

its funny its like dried/salted cod fillets...…..you'd think most of the buyers would be old people....but for whatever reason the pickled herring are making a slight comeback....
20 years ago id have guessed they'd go the way of the canned ham.... and slowly die
Around here, all grocery stores have smoked herring fillets in those long, shallow cans, with rounded ends. It's funny, but we have multitudes of herring living in our coastal estuaries. When people go salmon fishing, they first catch them off the docks as bait, but never seem to eat them. They would be very tasty, if cooked lightly. They're so easy to catch, by just dangling a bare, gold hook down in the water. If I lived near the sea, I'd be catching and eating them constantly and smoking and pickling them at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-03-2018, 08:28 PM
 
Location: San Antonio/Houston
33,871 posts, read 52,262,874 times
Reputation: 83730
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
I am usually able to find it in the Jewish section of the stores elnina.
Jewish section here has only gefilte fish in glass jars and sardines in a tin can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Usually it is easy to find in Jewish groceries/supermarkets, if the OP has any of those his/her area.
Nope. Not here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Walmart, Aldi, Costco, .... You get the jarred stuff just about everywhere. Unfortunately matjes seem to be inexistent. At least I have never found them.
Checked Walmart and Costco. We don't have Aldi in SA, but I am sure they don't have it in Houston. There are plenty of all kinds in Europe. I never saw any in the US.
Costco has only tuna in water or oil. Tin cans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Publix has it.
No Publix here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I have found it in the refrigerated section where the jarred pickles are of the Jewish section of the supermarket, Russian/Polish stores should have it. or order online.
No Polish/Russian stores here. There is a store in Houston, but that's specialty store and has imported goods.
My question was why I can't find pickled herring in a regular american grocery store.

I do see Vita (stuff from Canada) glass jars with herring, but only in sourcream with onions. I love them with boiled potatoes. That's my staple dish on Christmas Eve. However, they dont sell pickled.
IKEA has two kinds but they were weird tasting in wine and in dill sauce.
I like them plain, just with pepper, mustard seeds and sliced onions.

So, lovely people, looks like I am just out of luck. Perhaps that's not a Texas thing? I guess they didn't figured out how to make a BBQ herring, yet ... lol

Now, just to make sure we are talking about the same thing - the pickled herring in a glass jar (not some creamy sauces, and packed in a tin can).
I am looking for stuff that looks like this:
https://www.futurebakery.com/seafood <<<< the first 6 glass jars.

Amazon has it for a price of caviar!
https://www.amazon.com/Pickled-Herri...G3ZJZPBR9ZHXG8 <<< that's $47 for a jar of herrings!!

If you see it in your store Jewish section, in Walmart, Costco or Aldi - please be kind and post a picture here, so I can go to my local stores, show them and perhaps be able to request it.

Thank you kindly!!!!!!!!!
__________________
.
"No Copyrighted Material"
Moderated forums:
World, Europe, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Exercise and Fitness, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums
.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by elnina; 11-03-2018 at 08:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2018, 09:14 PM
 
Location: Richardson, TX
10,313 posts, read 16,836,560 times
Reputation: 25155
Maybe try calling this particular HEB which I found listed on a website about places to find kosher food in San Antonio.

HEB Alon Market - Grocery Store & Bakery (Uptown)
NW Military Drive & Wurzbach Pkwy.
8503 NW Military Hwy, San Antonio, TX 78230
Tel: (210) 479-4300
Contact: Terry Morgan
Large kosher aisle, refrigerator/freezer section, Pas Yisrael Pareve Bakery.

Another place to try:

http://russiansanantonio.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2018, 09:20 PM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
16,252 posts, read 25,589,158 times
Reputation: 25256
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Now, just to make sure we are talking about the same thing - the pickled herring in a glass jar (not some creamy sauces, and packed in a tin can).
I am looking for stuff that looks like this:
https://www.futurebakery.com/seafood <<<< the first 6 glass jars.
That's the one -- Feature -- that I get at the grocery store all the time here. I get the one in the wine marinade. It's delicious. It's everywhere here; very easy to find. You might have to make a trip to Canada. Seriously, though, in my grocery stores, it's always in the refrigerated display next to the fresh fish counter. Maybe check at your fish counter and ask them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2018, 10:32 PM
Status: "I kept my promise, please keep your distance" (set 19 days ago)
 
Location: 11235
1,601 posts, read 508,207 times
Reputation: 3058
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
... why is so hard to buy one?
Herring is a very unpopular fish in the US.
When you go to a store, to the fish aisle - tuna is the king. Tuna in oil, tuna in light oil and tuna in water. Sometimes in tomato. Sooooo boring! There might be a can or two of salmon and mackerel, perhaps few sardines, a trout if you're lucky and that generally covers the fish assortment. Everything it's in oil or water. Lately mostly water. Few in tomato, or smoked.
All good, but there is more fish in the water. What about herring, bullhead, cod, pollock, sprats, flounder, pilchard... etc. Or smoked eel?
I love pickles herring, but it's almost impossible to buy where I live.


Check out the frozen department at your local supermarket. They usually sell frozen cod, pollock and flounder in small blocks.

I remember my grandmother buying dried salt herring. Sooo salty. I wouldn't recommend it. You really cant get a fresh herring unless maybe if you fish for it yourself in Maine, Denmark or Norway. From what I understand it spoils easily and doesn't transport well.

Walmart claims to sell frozen herring, but they definitely have several jarred and canned varieties online. Most people get the jarred or canned varieties because someone else gets to deal with all the tiny bones.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bar-Harbo...7-Oz/919040341

https://www.walmart.com/search/?page...hProductResult

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lowell-Wi...z-24/312749452

Try smoked oysters if you get the chance. I don't even like oysters (sacrilegious for some to hear - I know), but there is something about canned smoked oysters that I love.

You can catch and smoke your own eel in Texas or just about anywhere else in the USA.

https://foursquare.com/top-places/ho...est-places-eel

Last edited by ComeCloser; 11-03-2018 at 10:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2018, 05:54 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,657 posts, read 80,013,751 times
Reputation: 39040
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
That's the one -- Feature -- that I get at the grocery store all the time here. I get the one in the wine marinade. It's delicious. It's everywhere here; very easy to find. You might have to make a trip to Canada. Seriously, though, in my grocery stores, it's always in the refrigerated display next to the fresh fish counter. Maybe check at your fish counter and ask them?
I too like the one in the jar, but I happen to like the cream one. I know, I know, that isn't traditional but it is still the one I like.Spoiled brat and sil will eat either and probably the whole jar at once if I would let them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2018, 07:08 AM
 
11,640 posts, read 6,021,332 times
Reputation: 21506
I’m able to eat Vita if someone serves it but it’s not very good. My girlfriend lives in a town with a large Jewish population. The kosher grocery store has really good herring. A bunch of places carry Noshman’s bagels which are trucked from Brooklyn partially baked and finished in the oven locally. Where I live is bagel purgatory.

I’ve had awesome herring in Stockholm a number of times as part of the breakfast spread at a good hotel. You really need to be in a place where it’s expected that the herring is fresh and has only been pickled for 24 hours. 3 months soaking in a jar just isn’t the same thing. It’s like me from coastal New England being served frozen lobster meat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2018, 07:35 AM
 
Location: San Antonio/Houston
33,871 posts, read 52,262,874 times
Reputation: 83730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Maybe try calling this particular HEB which I found listed on a website about places to find kosher food in San Antonio.

HEB Alon Market - Grocery Store & Bakery (Uptown)
NW Military Drive & Wurzbach Pkwy.
8503 NW Military Hwy, San Antonio, TX 78230
Tel: (210) 479-4300
Contact: Terry Morgan
Large kosher aisle, refrigerator/freezer section, Pas Yisrael Pareve Bakery.

Another place to try:

Russian & European Foods in San Antonio TX. Sasha's Market European Grocery Store.
I live in San Antonio and for years tried to find it in regular grocery stores. Sure, I could travel somewhere or order online, but the question remain, why the marinated herring isn't a bit more popular in the US, especially in Texas ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
Check out the frozen department at your local supermarket. They usually sell frozen cod, pollock and flounder in small blocks.

I remember my grandmother buying dried salt herring. Sooo salty. I wouldn't recommend it. You really cant get a fresh herring unless maybe if you fish for it yourself in Maine, Denmark or Norway. From what I understand it spoils easily and doesn't transport well.

Walmart claims to sell frozen herring, but they definitely have several jarred and canned varieties online. Most people get the jarred or canned varieties because someone else gets to deal with all the tiny bones.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bar-Harbo...7-Oz/919040341

https://www.walmart.com/search/?page...hProductResult

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lowell-Wi...z-24/312749452

Try smoked oysters if you get the chance. I don't even like oysters (sacrilegious for some to hear - I know), but there is something about canned smoked oysters that I love.

You can catch and smoke your own eel in Texas or just about anywhere else in the USA.

https://foursquare.com/top-places/ho...est-places-eel
I am not interested in canned herring. That one is easier to buy, although not popular.
I don't want fresh/frozen herring either.

Catch and smoke eel by myself? Isn't going to happen. And if it's so abundant here, why isn't sold in stores?

Smoked oysters are awesome. I buy canned fish frequently, that's probably why I know a lot about them, what's available and where to buy...
__________________
.
"No Copyrighted Material"
Moderated forums:
World, Europe, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Exercise and Fitness, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums
.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2018, 07:54 AM
 
Location: Richardson, TX
10,313 posts, read 16,836,560 times
Reputation: 25155
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I live in San Antonio and for years tried to find it in regular grocery stores. Sure, I could travel somewhere or order online, but the question remain, why the marinated herring isn't a bit more popular in the US, especially in Texas ...



I am not interested in canned herring. That one is easier to buy, although not popular.
I don't want fresh/frozen herring either.

Catch and smoke eel by myself? Isn't going to happen. And if it's so abundant here, why isn't sold in stores?

Smoked oysters are awesome. I buy canned fish frequently, that's probably why I know a lot about them, what's available and where to buy...
Those are two places local to you that you could call and ask if you want to save a wild goose chase trip. I didn’t offer you suggestions on buying it online.

Obviously some food preferences are regional - I wouldn’t expect to find great fresh tortillas in Poland or North Dakota, for instance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2018, 08:02 AM
 
Location: North State (California)
28,816 posts, read 2,278,321 times
Reputation: 10088
It probably is not popular becasue it is not available, & it is not available, because there is no demand for it. When I lived in San Francisco, there were many Polish & Russian specialty delis, but up here, nothing. I think WM has a free ship to store option for many items. Talking baout hard to find foods, I find it hard to get decent lamb here, most of the time it is not in stock, & when it is , the price is prohibitive. Most Americans I know, do not eat lamb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top