U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:29 AM

684 posts, read 144,456 times

Advertisements

Have you ever eaten a Banh Mi sandwich? I fell in love with this Vietnamese favorite when I saw it on a cooking show. That sandwich was pork meatball with chili mayo, daikon-carrot slaw, fresh jalapeno slices and cilantro. What are your favorites? I also like using the ingredients/condiments in lettuce wraps using bibb/Boston lettuce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:01 AM

17,181 posts, read 22,210,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
Have you ever eaten a Banh Mi sandwich? I fell in love with this Vietnamese favorite when I saw it on a cooking show. That sandwich was pork meatball with chili mayo, daikon-carrot slaw, fresh jalapeno slices and cilantro. What are your favorites? I also like using the ingredients/condiments in lettuce wraps using bibb/Boston lettuce.
sounds good!

Old Yesterday, 11:42 AM

15,016 posts, read 16,576,367 times
I love Banh Mi.

Such a nice balance of sweet, savory, acidic, soft, crunchy, hot, cold, and all on a crusty French bread.

Old Yesterday, 01:13 PM

2,815 posts, read 4,321,397 times
Yes! The Houston area has a huge Vietnamese population, so we're lucky enough to have lots of options for Banh Mi, pho, and other delicacies. Thinking about it, there are at least 4 Vietnamese restaurants within two miles of my house!

Old Yesterday, 01:42 PM

7,612 posts, read 10,414,111 times
We have a Lao grocery that features them on Saturdays. They're great!

Old Yesterday, 05:02 PM

13,724 posts, read 22,861,903 times
I was at Lee's Sandwiches in Las Vegas's Chinatown and bought a bbq pork bahn mi sandwich for $4.75 on Sunday. Much better than the Subway sandwich I bought at the conference hotel at twice the price.

The key is the roll.

Old Today, 09:00 AM

14,326 posts, read 17,545,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I was at Lee's Sandwiches in Las Vegas's Chinatown and bought a bbq pork bahn mi sandwich for $4.75 on Sunday. Much better than the Subway sandwich I bought at the conference hotel at twice the price.

The key is the roll.
Correct about the roll. And that's why Lee's is so good at Bahn Mi - they bake the baguettes in house. Just a little crusty on the outside, soft but NOT fluffy on the inside. Unlike frenc h bawuettes, they are made with rice flour.

The traditional bahn mi is chat sui - roast pork. Bbq pork is also very common. Both meats are a pita to make; hence, the meatball version was born in America. (It's tasty!)

In Vietnam and Vietnamese restaurants that have 'authentic' menus, bahn mi will have pork pate. Pork pate or a type of pork soft sausage may be the only meat on the sandwich. I don't like the pate, preferring the version with a soy sauce flavored mayo.

The standard vegies are matchstick pickled daikon and carrot , uncooked jalapeno slices (optional), cucumber slices (sometimes), and cilantro sprigs (not chopped).

I sometimes make char sui and make them at home for dinner and sometimes use them as hot duerves (cut into slices.). Or I buy the char sui at the Asian market. But I CANNOT get those rolls in this area, nor can any Vietnamese restaurant. That's why I eat so many of these on our annual visit to phoenix.

Old Today, 09:17 AM

13,724 posts, read 22,861,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Correct about the roll. And that's why Lee's is so good at Bahn Mi - they bake the baguettes in house. Just a little crusty on the outside, soft but NOT fluffy on the inside. Unlike French baguettes, they are made with rice flour.

The traditional bahn mi is chat sui - roast pork. Bbq pork is also very common. Both meats are a pita to make; hence, the meatball version was born in America. (It's tasty!)

You described it so much better than I did. The rolls really make the sandwich and the daikon and carrots add a sweetness that just kind of works.

In the past months, I have spent a lot of time trying the various Asian bakeries in Las Vegas and Phoenix. I do not believe that they get the credit they should in putting out really first quality baked goods.

Old Today, 09:54 AM

19 posts, read 917 times
I have had banh mi sandwiches. I just do not care for the asian seven spice they put on the pork. The rest of the sandwich is good.

Old Today, 10:51 AM

27,636 posts, read 17,699,238 times
My favorite is between the lemongrass chicken and tofu. I do not like the authentic ones with the pate and weird meat.

Locally, char siu is not an option (most places). That's chinese, and bahn mi is Vietnamese and French.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink