U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 01:49 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,427,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasy09 View Post
I'm going to make dressing and probably meatloaf for thanksgiving. I was going to brave chopping a fresh onion until I looked in my cupboard and found a spice of chopped onion. The best by date says Mar 28, 2018. That's barely 7 months ago. Can I use it or should I go on ahead and get a fresh onion?

Also I have some old nutmeg and cinnamon in the cupboard as well. I'm going to make desserts so I'll have to eventually use them. Should I also get fresh spices are of those good to use as is?

Ground Nutmeg- Best By March 13, 2017
Ground Cinnamon- Best By July 25, 2018
Why do you need bravery to chop an onion? I'm confused. Anyway, the spices should be fine to use, but as others have told you, they probably have lost some potency. Unless you are on a very limited budget, why not just go ahead and buy new ones?

Definitely, buy an onion and use that instead of the dried version.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2018, 02:55 PM

4,837 posts, read 1,565,722 times
Onion flakes have a very odd texture. Just chop one.

Old 11-06-2018, 04:46 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,762,772 times
I have spices that are well over 20 years over their best by date. I still use them sometimes. Obviously not as strong for perhaps I use a bit more of them.

Old 11-06-2018, 05:31 PM

7,819 posts, read 5,385,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Onion flakes have a very odd texture. Just chop one.
I like to use them to stuff into meatballs or other types of formed ground beef, like patties... They add a nice flavor when cooked in there and regain moisture. Aside from that, I agree: They have a very odd texture, and I can't think of much use for them.

Old 11-07-2018, 02:16 AM

10,540 posts, read 2,864,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasy09 View Post
I'm going to make dressing and probably meatloaf for thanksgiving. I was going to brave chopping a fresh onion until I looked in my cupboard and found a spice of chopped onion. The best by date says Mar 28, 2018. That's barely 7 months ago. Can I use it or should I go on ahead and get a fresh onion?

Also I have some old nutmeg and cinnamon in the cupboard as well. I'm going to make desserts so I'll have to eventually use them. Should I also get fresh spices are of those good to use as is?

Ground Nutmeg- Best By March 13, 2017
Ground Cinnamon- Best By July 25, 2018
The spices won't hurt you. They might be a bit less potent. Taste them and see.

I'd probably pass on the dehydrated onion, regardless of the x-date. I just don't like the stuff in most recipes.

Old 11-07-2018, 08:34 AM

2,390 posts, read 3,045,778 times
The "best by" date is an arbitrary date put on our goods here in the US. It is not an expiration date as some have already mistakenly called it. Products are not good for use anymore when they are not good. When that will be is dependent upon many variables such as how well the container is sealed, humidity, etc. You could keep many spices in a well sealed dry container for probably decades and still use them. We probably have some spices in our cabinet that are 10 or more years old that we don't use very often.

Milk is a good example to look at when talking about the arbitrary "best by" date. I have had milk that I kept cold in the back of the
refrigerator for a month past the best by date and it was still good. That is why I keep the milk in the back, so it stays cold as possible.

Most other countries do not have "best by" dates on their products. The people there have enough sense to check the product and see if it has gone bad and if so they throw it away. Companies here in the US love the best by dates and they intentionally put short time periods on them because they know many of our people think of them as expiration dates and they throw perfectly good products away and go buy more.

Old 11-07-2018, 08:40 AM

3,290 posts, read 4,949,310 times
Regarding the onion - there is a third choice. Buy a bag of frozen chopped onions at the supermarket. Not as good as freshly chopped but far superior to dehydrated flakes.

Old 11-07-2018, 06:10 PM

17,201 posts, read 22,241,590 times
I think the oregano I have in the cupboard is at least 20 yrs old

hate to throw it out....what if I need it??

ive got himilayan salt 20 million years old with an expiration date of 4 months.... good thing they caught it in time

Old 11-07-2018, 06:13 PM

3,290 posts, read 4,949,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I think the oregano I have in the cupboard is at least 20 yrs old

hate to throw it out....what if I need it??
If you haven't used it in 20 years, you never will.
Throw it out. Even if you are being sarcastic.

Old Yesterday, 01:20 AM

3,149 posts, read 1,236,646 times
I don't keep herbs for more than six months or spices for more than a year. The various volatile compounds lose potency unevenly, so they don't just get weaker, they lose complexity. And sometimes they get moldy or infested with bugs.

I buy from bulk bins at the health food store, and keep them in the freezer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or