U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 06:01 PM

17,220 posts, read 22,262,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I dry brine the turkey as it finishes thawing in the fridge over a couple of days.

I make turkey broth about a week before T-day, to flavor the stuffing /dressing with. I stuff the turkey with part of the stuffing, and I bake the rest in a casserole dish. Many times, I have cooked the dressing in the microwave for want of oven space.

I make cornbread the night before and split pieces of it open to dry out overnight. Then I combine brown rice with crumbled cornbread, a chopped apple, chopped onion, chopped celery, sage, caraway and walnuts, and salt and pepper. I might well add some fresh rosemary as well. I then add the turkey broth to make a loose mixture and proceed.

My mother told me that you need plenty of onion and sage in the dressing. (We never called it “stuffing”) and I’ve remembered that bit if wisdom over the years.

I had an aunt that always used the word dressing ...never stuffing....just as dinner was always dinner and never suppa….

great idea with the turkey broth !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2018, 10:57 PM

7,198 posts, read 2,251,277 times
I used to eat a lot of turkey, but I always bought upper wing drums, rather than whole birds. Although there are still plenty of whole turkeys available in the U. S. for the holidays, finding packages of parts, at good prices, is getting difficult. The main reason is that Europeans and Asians have discovered how good turkey is, over the last few decades and are buying lots of it from this country. They are willing to pay more for it than we do. So I can't find jumbo packs of wing drums any longer at any price. The wings that are available cost too much and you have to buy whole wings, which have little meat on the outer two sections. Ground turkey has also increased greatly in price, for the same reason. The 1-lb. rolls of it that sold for under $1., are a thing of the past. Now it costs $3. to $5. and most of it has MSG added to it.

Old Yesterday, 06:46 AM

17,220 posts, read 22,262,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
I used to eat a lot of turkey, but I always bought upper wing drums, rather than whole birds. Although there are still plenty of whole turkeys available in the U. S. for the holidays, finding packages of parts, at good prices, is getting difficult. The main reason is that Europeans and Asians have discovered how good turkey is, over the last few decades and are buying lots of it from this country. They are willing to pay more for it than we do. So I can't find jumbo packs of wing drums any longer at any price. The wings that are available cost too much and you have to buy whole wings, which have little meat on the outer two sections. Ground turkey has also increased greatly in price, for the same reason. The 1-lb. rolls of it that sold for under $1., are a thing of the past. Now it costs $3. to $5. and most of it has MSG added to it.
this is interesting to me.....many stores up here sell parts year round...I push them on my stores..the turkey wings can sell for 1.49lb and drumsticks for the same...

when I was a meat manager in a store I cut up a couple fresh turkeys a day for parts.... I could buy them separately pre-packed (fresh) but i'd have to sell them at a much higher retail.

most supermarkets today will bring in the prepack ...to save on labor.. but again a much higher retail.

one of my favorite turkey items is a turkey tender...like fresh chicken tenders (off the breast) we sell them for 2.99lb bring them in bulk and package ,.... if a store bought the prepack... they'd be 4.99lb

and yes ground turkey is all over the place....I push my stores to grind the turkey tenders and sell for 2.99lb but prepack...the ground breasts are very high.

sometimes we will have Perdue or shadybrook ground turkey for 1.99-2.49lb on sale .

presently....the turkeys are cheap....29-.69lb (before thanksgiving) for whole turkeys.. I bought one yesterday (under 5 dollars thawed overnight and cut it up into parts..this morning ...many youtube videos how to cut - its easy after you've done a couple..

Old Yesterday, 07:36 AM

5,791 posts, read 3,076,052 times
Growing up in the 60s in the South, but mom never stuffed the turkey. Always cornbread dressing on the side. Loved her turkey and dressing. My mother in law on the other hand was a stuffer and all night cooker. Turned the turkey and stuffing into the most slimey, disgusting mass you could think of. Cooked it so long the turkey basically just melted into the stuffing.

Old Yesterday, 07:55 AM

41,256 posts, read 32,917,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Growing up in the 60s in the South, but mom never stuffed the turkey. Always cornbread dressing on the side. Loved her turkey and dressing.
Haha, you took the words right out of my mouth! Growing up in the south also, we always, always had cornbread dressing, NOT stuffing. We never stuffed a bird in our lives!

My mom and grandmothers never wrote down their dressing recipes but they were markedly similar to that of my MIL, so thank goodness the last Thanksgiving she was able to make that famous dressing, I sat beside her and watched every step and wrote it all down. Then the next year, when she was unable to do it, I made it and it turned out perfect. The next year, she was gone, and I gave her famous dressing recipe to all the different family members, so thankfully it didn't get lost. She had gotten it from her mother, who had gotten it from HER mother, and probably down the line before them too.

Every year I am amazed that this cornbread dressing really has no spices other than salt and pepper, but it is DELICIOUS. I am not kidding - we've had dinner parties before where people have fought over who brings how much dressing home with them afterwards. My kids and grandkids always, always make sure I'm making The Dressing for Thanksgiving - I think there's a distinct possibility that I might go to hell if I don't turn it out!

One day I will be too old to make it, and then one day I will be gone, but I have given the recipe to everyone, and in fact I give everyone a copy every Thanksgiving just to be sure it doesn't get lost in time, and I've made it now with my daughter and granddaughters. It's sort of a hassle to make, though the ingredients aren't fancy or unusual - it's just a lot lot lot of chopping, cooking beforehand, etc. It makes a HUGE amount, which is perfect because everyone gets to take some home and we get to eat on it for several days afterwards, along with leftover ham and turkey and "MiMi corn" which is super fattening as well!

Back to the turkey though - UNSTUFFED here (always), and for decades now we've chosen a Greenberg Smoked Turkey. No cooking or basting or stuffing but dang, they are good. They are made locally so they're a big, big thing here in NE Texas. We usually have a honey baked ham as well, spiral cut. We heat them both up and VOILA!

Old Yesterday, 08:23 AM

4,925 posts, read 2,189,057 times
It's been 4 years now that I've been out voted on :
A: having turkey on that gratuitous day
And
B: Stuffing the bird.

My one son is in his early 30's and NOW deciding to go thru his teen rebel years ....all bets are off to have turkey at Thanksgiving ...or saurkraut and pork on new years day.
I could stand my ground and toss in a bird but then I'd have no family about to enjoy the holiday. So it will be some "something we never had before' idea. If it's snails with asparagus I may just dust off my urn ...and prepare to meet the maker....

Old Yesterday, 08:41 AM

1,275 posts, read 1,259,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
is anyone else hearing the younger crowds gather for "friendsgiving"??
my son mentioned this a few years back- just a festive gathering around the holiday for good friends...not family

just wondering if this is catching on in different regions??

my stores are getting many special orders for fresh turkeys for this weekend and next … specifically for friendsgiving….
Yes I am, with friends no family. It's still thanksgiving and traditional. Family is overseas.
Central Texas

Old Yesterday, 10:11 AM

1,416 posts, read 1,163,364 times
I do turkey with stuffing for the Christmas as there is no Thanksgiving in EU. I always pack the stuffing loosely and give the bird enough oven time to be well cooked no pink well done and still moist. The turkeys here in EU are baby size they are approx 3.7 to 4.00 kg not big.Turkey is expensive here and fresh poultry complete birds only sold in december.
I use the oven times given by the old 1977 BHG cookbook so many minutes per pound plus extra for stuffing. As said before loose stuffing . In it is the following ingredients
2/3 cup bread cubes, herbs: rosemary sage thyme , 1 small apple diced and 1 meatball in bits, 1 medium onion chopped, butter a few pieces and salt and pepper. Outside 3 bacon strips replaced by 3 new during roasting some salt and pepper a bit of butter on top. A few times basting during cooking and turning bird breasts side down so moist goes down into the breasts. I do this once a year and with a household of 37 years cooking no one ever got ill eating it.Leftovers go into sandwiches.

Old Yesterday, 10:53 AM

5,216 posts, read 3,030,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Growing up in the 60s in the South, but mom never stuffed the turkey. Always cornbread dressing on the side. Loved her turkey and dressing. My mother in law on the other hand was a stuffer and all night cooker. Turned the turkey and stuffing into the most slimey, disgusting mass you could think of. Cooked it so long the turkey basically just melted into the stuffing.
I'm chuckling with family memories. MIL's dressing was the same and so full of sage it was a green gelatinous blob that actually wiggled on the plate. She'd say, "I put raisins in it because I remembered (my DH) liked it that way."

He always felt compelled to eat some because he loved the dear old soul. Later he'd wonder which of the missing brothers she had gotten him mixed up with. And I could hardly keep a straight face at the table waiting every year for the comedy to play itself out. By the time she said "it" I'd have to have a tissue ready to "need to blow my nose" and turn away or I would have guffawed out loud knowing he was doomed to take a good helping of the stuff.

The trick is to just toss the stuffing that goes into the bird with a little melted butter and let the bird baste it with its natural juices. I keep my pan dressing's consistency controlled by baking it with foil on top and then removing the foil for the last half hour if it's too wet. It can be fairly dry when you are going to mix the stuffing from the turkey into it.

You bring up a good point. It isn't just the flavors that a cook is tending but also the texture.

Count roasting turkey and eating slimy green dressing with raisins in it as the things we do for love.

Old Yesterday, 11:21 AM

4,925 posts, read 2,189,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I'm chuckling with family memories. MIL's dressing was the same and so full of sage it was a green gelatinous blob that actually wiggled on the plate. She'd say, "I put raisins in it because I remembered (my DH) liked it that way."

He always felt compelled to eat some because he loved the dear old soul. Later he'd wonder which of the missing brothers she had gotten him mixed up with. And I could hardly keep a straight face at the table waiting every year for the comedy to play itself out. By the time she said "it" I'd have to have a tissue ready to "need to blow my nose" and turn away or I would have guffawed out loud knowing he was doomed to take a good helping of the stuff.

The trick is to just toss the stuffing that goes into the bird with a little melted butter and let the bird baste it with its natural juices. I keep my pan dressing's consistency controlled by baking it with foil on top and then removing the foil for the last half hour if it's too wet. It can be fairly dry when you are going to mix the stuffing from the turkey into it.

You bring up a good point. It isn't just the flavors that a cook is tending but also the texture.

Count roasting turkey and eating slimy green dressing with raisins in it as the things we do for love.
Gosh....you sure got away to tell a tale! I'm laughing and I wasnt even there. !
Guess we each have that one relative that leaves us with tastefull stories!

Just reading these posts I'm seriously considering a turkey and all the fix'ns! ( no raisins though )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink