U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 02:05 PM

41,262 posts, read 32,939,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I'm chuckling with family memories. MIL's dressing was the same and so full of sage it was a green gelatinous blob that actually wiggled on the plate. She'd say, "I put raisins in it because I remembered (my DH) liked it that way."

He always felt compelled to eat some because he loved the dear old soul. Later he'd wonder which of the missing brothers she had gotten him mixed up with. And I could hardly keep a straight face at the table waiting every year for the comedy to play itself out. By the time she said "it" I'd have to have a tissue ready to "need to blow my nose" and turn away or I would have guffawed out loud knowing he was doomed to take a good helping of the stuff.

The trick is to just toss the stuffing that goes into the bird with a little melted butter and let the bird baste it with its natural juices. I keep my pan dressing's consistency controlled by baking it with foil on top and then removing the foil for the last half hour if it's too wet. It can be fairly dry when you are going to mix the stuffing from the turkey into it.

You bring up a good point. It isn't just the flavors that a cook is tending but also the texture.

Count roasting turkey and eating slimy green dressing with raisins in it as the things we do for love.
LOL this reminds me of my mother in law. She always made cranberry sauce, and she always made a pumpkin pie, because she thought my husband liked them both, along with his son.

Neither of them has EVER liked either of those items, and every year she'd make a big production out of "unveiling" both items, beaming and saying, "And look what I made for MY BOYS!" And every year afterwards my husband and his son would say when she'd left, "I wonder why she thinks we like those things? Did you ever...no? Well, me either...hummmm..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2018, 02:27 PM

21,072 posts, read 25,981,651 times
We eat gluten-free ( some of us) so no stuffing inside the bird to cross-contaminate.

I use the neck and giblets, plus celery and onion, to make broth to mix with seasoned bread cubes and butter. Bake on the side.

I add diced celery, chopped onion, and sliced water chestnuts to the stuffing.

Old 11-11-2018, 02:38 PM

913 posts, read 1,364,604 times
This brings to mind lots of good memories of Thanksgivings in the past! Growing up in Texas, my mom never stuffed a turkey in her life. Here it was always cornbread dressing, and it is still by far my favorite part of the meal! Mom would make Watergate salad, which was more popular in the 1970's, but I made it a couple of years ago and mom had the biggest smile and enjoyed it so much! My dad had a horticulture degree and his specialty was pecans, and every year mom made several pecan pies. Depending on how many would be there for the meal, she could always make one or two more.

Things are a little different now. This year it will just be mom and me. My sister and her family will be going to Galveston, so won't be able to be with us. Mom is no longer able to cook and she doesn't have much of an appetite anymore. But, I'm still going to make cornbread dressing. I might adapt her recipe a bit and add some diced up chicken and just make it into a "chicken and dressing casserole". But I do like the idea of doing something a little special for the meal that day. I also like sweet potatoes, so I may find a good recipe for them.

Also a local church is having their Thanksgiving meal on the 18th, so they'll be delivering 2 turkey dinners for mom and me. Mom misses being able to go to church for the meal as well as all the services, but she isn't able to get out much anymore. So this will be the next best thing! Nice to be able to just sit and enjoy a meal someone else has made for us. But I do enjoy remembering Thanksgiving meals of the past, and how much all the family enjoyed them!

Old 11-11-2018, 02:52 PM

9,665 posts, read 4,830,316 times
I have gluten free stuffing too. But rarely stuff the bird. It takes too long to cook.

Old 11-11-2018, 03:29 PM

6,236 posts, read 7,435,773 times
I used to stuff the bird (no fatalities) until Rachael Ray told me about Stuffin' Muffins. I baked the stuffing/dressing in muffin tins and they were always a big hit. Everybody got some of the nice crunchy part that only comes out of the very end of the bird and if there are any left over, they freeze nicely to take out one or two for suppah on a cold winter day.

I no longer cook Thanksgiving dinner, instead, I go out with my #2 son and his family.

Old 11-11-2018, 04:53 PM

11,535 posts, read 5,949,473 times
It’s just the two of us this year. I was already contemplating grilling boneless duck breast for Thanksgiving. Lobster meat is $20/pound here for the next two weeks. I’m thinking about lobster for Thanksgiving. Maybe lobster Newburgh or lobster Mac and cheese.

Old 11-11-2018, 05:04 PM

34,810 posts, read 42,955,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Itís just the two of us this year. I was already contemplating grilling boneless duck breast for Thanksgiving. Lobster meat is $20/pound here for the next two weeks. Iím thinking about lobster for Thanksgiving. Maybe lobster Newburgh or lobster Mac and cheese.
I think lobster is perfect for thanksgivings. Iím sure the Pigrims had them, so anything they could have had is ok with me.

Old 11-11-2018, 05:33 PM

17,222 posts, read 22,270,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backintheville2 View Post
This brings to mind lots of good memories of Thanksgivings in the past! Growing up in Texas, my mom never stuffed a turkey in her life. Here it was always cornbread dressing, and it is still by far my favorite part of the meal! Mom would make Watergate salad, which was more popular in the 1970's, but I made it a couple of years ago and mom had the biggest smile and enjoyed it so much! My dad had a horticulture degree and his specialty was pecans, and every year mom made several pecan pies. Depending on how many would be there for the meal, she could always make one or two more.

Things are a little different now. This year it will just be mom and me. My sister and her family will be going to Galveston, so won't be able to be with us. Mom is no longer able to cook and she doesn't have much of an appetite anymore. But, I'm still going to make cornbread dressing. I might adapt her recipe a bit and add some diced up chicken and just make it into a "chicken and dressing casserole". But I do like the idea of doing something a little special for the meal that day. I also like sweet potatoes, so I may find a good recipe for them.

Also a local church is having their Thanksgiving meal on the 18th, so they'll be delivering 2 turkey dinners for mom and me. Mom misses being able to go to church for the meal as well as all the services, but she isn't able to get out much anymore. So this will be the next best thing! Nice to be able to just sit and enjoy a meal someone else has made for us. But I do enjoy remembering Thanksgiving meals of the past, and how much all the family enjoyed them!
Great post!!

love the delivering two turkey dinners.... from the church

I use to work for a supermarket chain store for over a decade...for the last 25 yrs I work with independent grocery stores.... and theirs one dynamic that still happens in small town maineÖ.many in the community will give/donate money to the store owner and request that they give a turkey dinner/meal to families that live nearby that have fallen on hard times......death of a spouse/elderly live alonesÖ..or recent job loss.... I drove with one store owner to deliver a whole turkey dinner basket to these folks .. and what an eye opener ...we delivered many mostly to the elderly and it put them in tears ...one dear lady in particular had her recently deceased husband's picture on the kitchen table....she said she called off thanksgiving for her family this year it would be too difficult for her... we stopped and talked to her for a while....and she was just so appreciative someone thought of her Ö.
from that I encouraged my son to purchase a complete meal from the store to donate to another family in need which he did..... and he felt good doing it..
we have other stores that will "give" a single serving turkey dinner to anyone alone on thanksgiving... the owners dont broadcast this benevolence ...so someone doesn't feel left out,,, this also happens around Christmas-time....in fact I have a friend in town that donates 500 dollars to the store...just for these purposes....after I told him what the owner does....
a couple yrs ago ...he bought oil for an elderly ladies furnace..... she was sitting in front of her stove..
her husband just passed

Old 11-11-2018, 05:39 PM

17,222 posts, read 22,270,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I think lobster is perfect for thanksgivings. Iím sure the Pigrims had them, so anything they could have had is ok with me.
I agree lobster is great for thanksgiving !!

our family tradition was to go down to my dad's on Wednesday my sister would come up from rhode island.....and we would have a lobster feast (my dad is a lobsterman ) for dinner and then play poker into the wee hours of the night Ö.( then get up early to go hunting). did this for decades.... hopefully we will do this again...that tradition was put on hold because of a stroke..

Old 11-11-2018, 06:54 PM

1,973 posts, read 3,328,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backintheville2 View Post
..... I also like sweet potatoes, so I may find a good recipe for them.....
My favorite Sweet Potato recipe was introduced to us by our daughter-in-law. Since it will be just the two of you, slice one orange in half and scoop out the sections keeping the shells. Cook then mash enough sweet potatoes to fill the orange shells. Use some of the juice from the orange pulp when making the mashed sweet potatoes. (an internet search will reveal how much juice to use) Place the orange shells in a muffin pan, fill the shells with mashed sweet potato mixture, place 2 or 3 pecan halves on top of each filled shell, then bake (another internet search for temp and time).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink