U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 08:24 PM

27,878 posts, read 17,818,346 times

Advertisements

Here's my favorite sweet potato recipe, Coconut Bourbon Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecans:

https://cookingbride.com/side-dishes...ato-casserole/
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2018, 10:56 PM

13,734 posts, read 22,928,122 times
Just bought a 16 lb Jennio turkey from Winco Foods for $0.48/ #. I would have preferred a Norbest turkey BUT they only had 20-24# in that brand.

Old 11-11-2018, 11:05 PM

6,196 posts, read 3,290,243 times
I love turkey and cook it every Thanksgiving. No stuffing or dressing, since I don't care for that. I got a Honeysuckle for .49lb, but am keeping my eyes open for any more sales, so I can pick up another for the future.

I cook it in the morning, always the traditional way with medium seasoning. Thanksgiving dinner is at high noon, usually.

I use all the parts of the turkey afterwards for sandwiches and soup. My dog gets some, too, of course, plus she gets the gizzard & such.

Old 11-11-2018, 11:52 PM

9,682 posts, read 4,837,962 times
I get regular country ham and cook both turkey and ham on Thanksgivings. Kids love both and there’s lots of leftovers.

Old 11-12-2018, 06:45 AM

34,826 posts, read 42,971,317 times
Ok, so we just found out we’ll be home, just the two of us for Thanksgiving. Unless we decide to drive north to MO, I’ll cook all the usual suspects in small scale.

Old 11-12-2018, 09:29 AM

4,161 posts, read 3,496,291 times
We always have family tradition oyster dressing cooked separately in an electric roaster (sauted onions & celery in butter with sage & salt & pepper & chopped fresh oysters after celery softened & chicken stock mixed into assorted breads dry cubed from bakery...turkey juices added as available from turkey.) It ends up with crunchy on sides & soft in middle consistency. I shove dressing over in pan once mashed potatoes are ready & keep them warm next to dressing in roaster.

The cavity of turkey is filled with halved lemons & rosemary and skin salt & peppered before putting in oven on convection roast setting.

Old 11-12-2018, 12:20 PM

718 posts, read 152,051 times
I like to pan steam sweet potatoes and then treat them like "Bananas Foster". Peel and cut into 1" chunks. Over med-high heat, bring about an inch of water to boil in a skillet (be sure the skillet has a lid), add unsalted butter, potatoes and a large pinch of kosher salt, cover and steam until the water evaporates while butter remains and potatoes are almost done. Add brown sugar, mixing well with butter adding more butter if needed. Add booze of choice (I prefer dark rum) and reduce until most of the liquid has evaporated, leaving a nice glaze. You could add chopped, toasted pecans. Serve immediately or keep warm. Works great with carrots as well. I don't use a recipe.

Old 11-12-2018, 04:36 PM

4,161 posts, read 3,496,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
I like to pan steam sweet potatoes and then treat them like "Bananas Foster". Peel and cut into 1" chunks. Over med-high heat, bring about an inch of water to boil in a skillet (be sure the skillet has a lid), add unsalted butter, potatoes and a large pinch of kosher salt, cover and steam until the water evaporates while butter remains and potatoes are almost done. Add brown sugar, mixing well with butter adding more butter if needed. Add booze of choice (I prefer dark rum) and reduce until most of the liquid has evaporated, leaving a nice glaze. You could add chopped, toasted pecans. Serve immediately or keep warm. Works great with carrots as well. I don't use a recipe.
This sounds wonderful.

Old 11-12-2018, 05:06 PM

17,233 posts, read 22,278,244 times
i'd love to see pictures of all this delicious-ness … in a couple weeks from all the wonderful cooks ..

Old 11-12-2018, 06:52 PM

518 posts, read 248,558 times
Hubby will be slow smoking two turkey roasts out on the BBQ again this year. It is now our favorite way to eat turkey because it is so flavorful and juicy. We will also be having the typical sides dressing, mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans, strawberry pretzel salad, and hawaain rolls. Oreo pie, and pecan pie for dessert.

I can't wait!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink