U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 06:06 PM

17,243 posts, read 22,300,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I feel like I should buy more too, at $.27 a pound, but itís just the two of us and in a weird way, it seems disrespectful to the turkey.
disrespectful? its not like you hit one in the road and dragged it around for a mile....the turkey is frozen solid Ö.

I pay homage to the turkey gods by doing a few gobbles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 08:52 PM

3,175 posts, read 1,251,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaubleau View Post
Turkey is the least appealing meat we as Americans eat regularly, whether it is because of the breeding practices or whatever, it is dry and tasteless. Yeah, if you brine and smoke the hell out if it you can make it tasty, but you can do that with tofu if you really want to. It would be great if there were more types of meat readily available, i.e affordable lamb, even mutton, duck, goose, rabbit affordable bison, etc. Instead we get industrially produced tasteless turkey. yay us!
I guess you're different from those of us who enjoy turkey. Perhaps you've only eaten the cheapest birds, or maybe they weren't seasoned well.

We made a tofu turkey a few years ago. Tasted like stuffing, my favorite part of the meal. But I'll stick with real turkey.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:37 PM

9,789 posts, read 4,866,387 times
We eat turkey year round. But I usually get fresh thighs and roast them, they are delicious with very crunchy skins. because of that there no need to get any turkey for the freezer, not a big freezer any way. The defrosting process is very time consuming.irather get them fresh. We also get very small turkey for Dinner hanksgiving, about 11lbs so they are not as tough as a bigger bird.

Old 11-14-2018, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
It's my least appealing also. I'd rather have cream baked pheasant. But then it wouldn't be Thanksgiving according to how "we always do it."

I live in a valley town and when I'm out running errands I'll see small flocks of the wild ones out foraging in the gullies on sunny days. They look like pretty tough, scrawny birds but I suppose I could accidently manage to hit one and bring road kill home to try out. I do know some people go out and shoot their own.

They're so tame around here I had to open the car door the other day and shoo one off the road. He was not a Mensa bird.
wild turkeys got reintroduced up here decades ago...and they are everywhere...

theirs a turkey hunting season...a family member gave me some of his wild cooked turkey...it was stringy/tougher Ö...but good flavor..

I travel much in my work....and almost daily have to slow down with these birds beside the road or in the road.....it would be easy to nail one for dinner..

Old 11-14-2018, 07:38 AM

5,510 posts, read 6,251,573 times
In my area, the choices of frozen turkey's are Butterball, Jennie-O, Honeysuckle and a few store brands.

I like Honeysuckle. Butterball is sometimes overrated (and most expensive), but a good second choice.

Thoughts?

Old 11-14-2018, 08:45 AM

34,859 posts, read 43,017,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
In my area, the choices of frozen turkey's are Butterball, Jennie-O, Honeysuckle and a few store brands.

I like Honeysuckle. Butterball is sometimes overrated (and most expensive), but a good second choice.

Thoughts?
I donít like any of them that are pumped full of lord knows what....and that is true of the many big brands.

Old 11-14-2018, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I donít like any of them that are pumped full of lord knows what....and that is true of the many big brands.

About 15 yrs ago we started seeing more ď this poultry up to 3-5% moisture
The chicken people told me - itís because they give them an extra steam bath
To kill any exposure to bacteria
I donít believe they are being injected or pumped
With a brine -

They have done the same with sides of beef and after they split pork
One extra steam bath on the outside of the carcass

In the 90ís because of the move to boneless pork and boneless chicken
Breasts which can be lean and dry - they did have some
MArketing promotions with injected ( enhanced)
Pork and chicken - but they got away from that because
Customers didnít want injected meats
If places still are doing this it has to be clearly marked

Old 11-14-2018, 12:32 PM

5,262 posts, read 3,045,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
Pecan pie and apple pie. For some reason anything other than pie just doesn't seem right.
Pie is always good. I suppose it's one of the handiest to carry somewhere. But it doesn't feed very many people.

You've got to admit that sweet potato bundt cake looks ****. Especially with the addition of a little streusel.

I've decided to make streusel my dessert solution. I found a recipe where you roll finely crushed pecans into the crust and then top the pumpkin filling with streusel to bake. My filling is an old Betty Crocker recipe with sweetened condensed milk so it's nice and rich.

I should be able to manage a little piece like that. "I suppose I could force it down," like Dad used to say about dessert with a twinkle in his eye.

If you have a Fleet Farm near you a little dish of their chocolate/Grand Marnier covered pecans would make a nice accompaniment, I think.

Will you have someone at your table who will scoot them close to their plate and stealthily decimate them while others are distracted?

EDIT: That bundt cake looks WHAT? I can't remember what I said but it must have been outrageous. This is why I'm grateful when they let me sit at the grown-up's table.

Old 11-14-2018, 12:50 PM

21,088 posts, read 26,030,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I'm still looking for an extra dessert recipe because I'm not crazy about pumpkin pie. While I was browsing I ran into many Thanksgiving leftovers savory bread puddings with turkey if anyone is interested. Some of them sound delicious.
Something a bit lighter, easy to make...

Fresh strawberry pie

Large bag frozen whole unsweetened strawberries
1 small box strawberry jello ( the size that calls for 1 cup boiling water, 1 cup cold water)
1 baked pie shell.

Whipped cream, optional, but a nice touch

Mix the jello with 1 cup boiling water, stir until dissolved.

Mix frozen berries, still frozen, into the jello

Spoon strawberries into the cooked pie shell with a slotted spoon. There will probably be jello left in the mixing bowl, don't add that to the pie. Just enough jello to stick the berries together.

Refrigerate until serving time.

You can "frost" with whipped cream, or serve with a bit of whipped cream on the side, or with a scoop of ice cream.

The hot jello will thaw the frozen berries. The frozen berries will set the jello.

Old 11-14-2018, 01:17 PM

34,859 posts, read 43,017,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
About 15 yrs ago we started seeing more ď this poultry up to 3-5% moisture
The chicken people told me - itís because they give them an extra steam bath
To kill any exposure to bacteria
I donít believe they are being injected or pumped
With a brine -

They have done the same with sides of beef and after they split pork
One extra steam bath on the outside of the carcass

In the 90ís because of the move to boneless pork and boneless chicken
Breasts which can be lean and dry - they did have some
MArketing promotions with injected ( enhanced)
Pork and chicken - but they got away from that because
Customers didnít want injected meats
If places still are doing this it has to be clearly marked
All I know is the last Butterball or some such I made left a sea of yellow grease in the pan that resembled that ďbutterĒ on movie theater popcorn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink