Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 11:21 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
how about baked apples?? core them bake with cinnamon and (optional) sugar

easy & delicious..
I suppose you could have them all set to pop in the oven when you take the other food out and they'd be nice and warm for the ice cream!

You made me laugh when I read you were already making a turkey. I know you're a meat lover. So was Dad. He could never make it to the holiday without already having baked a ham or whatever. Heh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 11:27 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaubleau View Post
Turkey is the least appealing meat we as Americans eat regularly, whether it is because of the breeding practices or whatever, it is dry and tasteless. Yeah, if you brine and smoke the hell out if it you can make it tasty, but you can do that with tofu if you really want to. It would be great if there were more types of meat readily available, i.e affordable lamb, even mutton, duck, goose, rabbit affordable bison, etc. Instead we get industrially produced tasteless turkey. yay us!
It's my least appealing also. I'd rather have cream baked pheasant. But then it wouldn't be Thanksgiving according to how "we always do it."

I live in a valley town and when I'm out running errands I'll see small flocks of the wild ones out foraging in the gullies on sunny days. They look like pretty tough, scrawny birds but I suppose I could accidently manage to hit one and bring road kill home to try out. I do know some people go out and shoot their own.

They're so tame around here I had to open the car door the other day and shoo one off the road. He was not a Mensa bird.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:38 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
One of us the other day called Thanksgiving a cook's logistic nightmare or something to that effect. Too true.

For me it's all the things that have to be done at the last minute and still get everything to the table hot. Thank goodness for microwave ovens. Turkey can be tricky to reheat.
Oh yes. It is definitely not a relaxing time for the cook.

I am not cooking a big dinner this year, and I do not regret it all. I've cooked my share, that's for sure. I am ready to hand this task off to the younger generation, although there are problems with that strategy.

Old 11-13-2018, 12:13 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
I'm still looking for an extra dessert recipe because I'm not crazy about pumpkin pie. While I was browsing I ran into many Thanksgiving leftovers savory bread puddings with turkey if anyone is interested. Some of them sound delicious.
I just did a test run on this because like you, no one in our family really grooves on pumpkin pie, but we wanted something "harvesty" and that we could eat with real whipped cream - LOL. This is a WINNER.
https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/...to-pound-cake/

Note - I made a few changes though they don't seem all that necessary one way or the other. For starters, I buttered the bundt cake pan really well and then sprinkled brown sugar and pecan pieces in it before scooping in the batter.

I also added a bit of cinnamon and nutmeg, and substituted half the sugar for light brown sugar.

I also used gluten free flour but I'm sure you can use regular flour with great results.

I added more orange zest to the icing.

This is a very moist, delicious cake.

Old 11-13-2018, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaubleau View Post
Turkey is the least appealing meat we as Americans eat regularly, whether it is because of the breeding practices or whatever, it is dry and tasteless. Yeah, if you brine and smoke the hell out if it you can make it tasty, but you can do that with tofu if you really want to. It would be great if there were more types of meat readily available, i.e affordable lamb, even mutton, duck, goose, rabbit affordable bison, etc. Instead we get industrially produced tasteless turkey. yay us!
Sorry, maybe we just get really great turkey around here, but my husband and I eat turkey and chicken all year and love it. I just bought some thin sliced spicy turkey breast meat and next week we will buy a Greenberg smoked turkey. Yum.

Old 11-13-2018, 01:30 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,484,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I dry brine the turkey as it finishes thawing in the fridge over a couple of days.

I make turkey broth about a week before T-day, to flavor the stuffing /dressing with

What do you make the broth out of?

Old 11-13-2018, 01:33 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,484,502 times
Quote:
I'm still looking for an extra dessert recipe because I'm not crazy about pumpkin pie. While I was browsing I ran into many Thanksgiving leftovers savory bread puddings with turkey if anyone is interested. Some of them sound delicious.

Pecan pie and apple pie. For some reason anything other than pie just doesn't seem right.

Old 11-13-2018, 02:55 PM

Since we're getting together for Thanksgiving but not Christmas, my daughter wanted me to make a rum cake. No, that is CHRISTMAS FARE. Not Thanksgiving fare. It will not happen next week.

Old 11-13-2018, 04:40 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
I suppose you could have them all set to pop in the oven when you take the other food out and they'd be nice and warm for the ice cream!

You made me laugh when I read you were already making a turkey. I know you're a meat lover. So was Dad. He could never make it to the holiday without already having baked a ham or whatever. Heh.
as another poster ..stated I too buy 7-9 turkeys when they are .39lb and put in freezer...I still had one from last year... and now im buying more because they are so cheap... I felt I needed to use up last year's before cooking this years..lol

similar to Halloween candy if its around too early …. good chance you'll have to buy more

I love turkey love how it makes the house smell..

glade should make air fresheners or scented candles with scents of roasted turkey (and prime rib)

Old 11-13-2018, 05:01 PM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I feel like I should buy more too, at $.27 a pound, but it’s just the two of us and in a weird way, it seems disrespectful to the turkey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink