Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 04:53 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,210,516 times

Advertisements

For the turkey eaters this thanksgiving

40-50 million turkeys will be consumed in the next couple weeks, 80% of americans will have turkeys for thanksgiving... 22 million around Christmas and 19 million around easter (220 million turkeys will be consumed this year)

This is the ONE time during the year where you can buy a turkey well below cost at grocery stores
they are on sale in this region for .39lb/.49lb at the supermarkets for frozen turkeys - I will buy 7-8 and put in my freezer - this is one of the best and cheapest proteins you can buy.

most all grocery wholesalers will buy turkeys in may and june of the year... store them in big freezers and most pay the same amount - (for the frozen ones)

thawing

best method of thawing is in the fridge - you can quick thaw in cold water but change the water often so it remains cold. Avoid thawing on counter at air temp (even "fresh" turkeys are chilled & partially frozen - they can be transported at 27f) buy or pick up your fresh turkey not Wednesday but preferably Monday or Tuesday (danger zone for bacterial growth is 40-140 degrees- this is why thawing isn't recommended on the counter the outside of the bird will be room temp and the center is still frozen)

cooking...
the usda use to recommend 180f internal temp, but now 165f . for poultry
depending on size usually 20 minutes per lb at 350f but check with thermometer between the thigh and breast. We are all foodies here and have out own methods..

carving- this has been interesting to me....as the family butcher I usually get volunteered to do any carving - which I enjoy...but I do all carving in the kitchen not on the table - i've seen this done by many and its not overly graceful- once carve then put parts and slice white meat on platter then bring to the table.. (my great grandmother use to cook the bird almost thru the night- it pulled apart easily but was a little dry)

after the meal

years ago it was common the leave whats left on the bird on the counter and being "picked at" afterwards...and maybe make sandwiches for those that have to travel distances to go home... this is another benefit of carving the bird in parts then taken to the table- whats not consumed...put back in the fridge asap.

Question for the cooks
How many in here "stuff" the bird as opposed to cooking outside the turkey? The food network recommends "dressing" but to cook the stuffing separately but most of the friends & family I talk to still stuff the bird.... If you do stuff.... do you have any favorite or different stuffing than traditional? up here, some will put oysters in the stuffing and even sausage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2018, 05:29 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,082,072 times
I smoke a fresh turkey, 10 to 12 pounds. We make dressing. My mother used to stuff the bird and I suspect it wasn't cooked through, though I never got sick. My oldest brother once did a turkey in one of those "cook in bags", ended up as turkey mush. Greasy, over cooked meat. It was a sad thing to behold.

Old 11-10-2018, 05:52 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,210,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
I smoke a fresh turkey, 10 to 12 pounds. We make dressing. My mother used to stuff the bird and I suspect it wasn't cooked through, though I never got sick. My oldest brother once did a turkey in one of those "cook in bags", ended up as turkey mush. Greasy, over cooked meat. It was a sad thing to behold.

you "smoke" the turkey in your smoker? (is it an electric smoker?)

how long does it take? do you use mesquite wood chips? apple?

ive had the fried turkeys and thought it was good and moist.... but never smoked one myself.

Old 11-10-2018, 06:02 AM

50,351 posts, read 63,939,201 times
I’m a stuffer, and I’ve never killed anyone yet. Pepperidge Farm dressing with extra fresh sage from the garden, celery, onion salt and pepper...year in, and year out, it never changes.

Old 11-10-2018, 06:09 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,082,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
you "smoke" the turkey in your smoker? (is it an electric smoker?)

how long does it take? do you use mesquite wood chips? apple?

ive had the fried turkeys and thought it was good and moist.... but never smoked one myself.
I'll use my BGE and pecan chunks mixed with the charcoal. I cook at 225F to an internal (thigh) temp of 155F. It will gain the 5F while resting. I'll switch it up using cherry chunks, apple chunks or hickory chunks. I'd like to get some peach chunks but they aren't available locally. IMO, mesquite gives a very harsh smoke. I never soak chunks as it makes a very acrid smoke like unseasoned hardwood. I also have an off-set stick burner but I don't use it unless I do enough to fill it. Waste of fuel. I've also had fried turkey, but prefer smoked.

Old 11-10-2018, 09:58 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,422,257 times
I haven't gotten a turkey yet, they just hit the .49 a pound here for honeysuckle farms or Publix brand.
Normally I stuff my bird and roast her with butter and seasonings.
Last year I did a bag and it came out pretty good but fell apart.

I buy turkey more for the sandwiches as for the actual meal.

Old 11-10-2018, 11:02 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,288,448 times
Some amusing videos of people getting it totally wrong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ROUOo7dE_A

Old 11-10-2018, 12:06 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,827,838 times
We cook the stuffing outside of the turkey because DH smokes the turkey in the Kamodo grill, after brining it.

This year is going to be a combo situation, we have to eat early at 1pm and it's a 25 lb turkey.

After all the math is done, the turkey will probably be pre-cooked in the oven while we sleep, DH will get up at an ungodly hour to transfer it to the smoker.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-10-2018, 01:02 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,360,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
I'll use my BGE and pecan chunks mixed with the charcoal. I cook at 225F to an internal (thigh) temp of 155F. It will gain the 5F while resting. I'll switch it up using cherry chunks, apple chunks or hickory chunks. I'd like to get some peach chunks but they aren't available locally. IMO, mesquite gives a very harsh smoke. I never soak chunks as it makes a very acrid smoke like unseasoned hardwood. I also have an off-set stick burner but I don't use it unless I do enough to fill it. Waste of fuel. I've also had fried turkey, but prefer smoked.
I hate turkey but love a good smoked turkey! It makes it into a cross between ham and turkey - gives it some actual flavor.

Old 11-10-2018, 01:30 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,684,570 times
my generation is starting to take over holidays and thanksgiving is mine. i hate turkey, so turkey isnt provided. it seems my aunt remembers that turkey wasnt provided so she is bringing turkey. i dont expect many people to eat the turkey, im getting better food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink