U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 08:07 PM

51,620 posts, read 50,868,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Hamentashen is my favorite. Apricot or Raspberry. Like you, I'm not too keen on the poppy. I always make it for my kids at Purim, and they want fillings like chocolate Don't get me wrong, I love chocolate, just not in Hamentashen.
I like the apricot. I'm not that big on everything apricot, but apricot Hamentashen is good.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Trader Joe's sells a Brooklyn Chocolate Babka that's a candidate for a controlled substance list.
I've had it, and it's way too good.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:18 PM

73,138 posts, read 64,696,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyeaux View Post
I love a cinnamon babka 'cause I'm not big on chocolate. Babka is a great dessert if you like a more bread-like cake rather than a sponge type of cake. Enjoy!
Oh, and please get me some Hamentashan -- prune or apricot -- either one will do. Not keen on poppy.
OMG, cinnamon bread is SO ADDICTING!!!!! o.0
And HUMENTASCHEN! I saw the thread title, "Jewish Desserts", and flashed on humentaschen!!!!!!! It's all so good! We don't have a Jewish deli in my town. I need to get back to the West Coast, for access to that particular slice of civilization. ....*sigh*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 09:15 PM

12,547 posts, read 13,156,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
And, I'm pretty sure that 99.9% of all desserts are not made with pork. While Jewish desserts are delicious, I'm a little baffled at why you would think kosher sweets are healthier than any other kind.
one reason people with health or food concerns like "Jewish foods" is they are clearly marked if they contain dairy (very helpful for people who have a dairy allergy); clearly marked if they are parve (= no meat, and no dairy) (very helpful for people who avoid meat). Also many health conscious people prefer kosher meat because it rejects animal carcassess that are found to be diseased after slaughter, which are still sold on the market anyway as not kosher.

Old 11-13-2018, 09:23 PM

5,555 posts, read 3,404,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Twenty years ago wheat didn't contain GMOs and that is what make people sick. For me it brings on IBS and migraines.

I can go to Italy and eat bread and pasta all day long because GMOs are illegal but not here.

Wheat is very different now than what it used to be.
There is NO GMO wheat in the US. All modern wheat is hybridized and there are many varieties; some contain more gluten than others, but NO wheat sold in the US has GMOs. This myth needs to die.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:28 PM

2,500 posts, read 638,136 times
Black & White cookies. And don't fool around with grocery stores or local bakeries. Order from Wm Greenberg in NYC. (get full size, not minis)

Old Yesterday, 09:20 AM

The best Jewish desert seems to be the Negev.

https://www.touristisrael.com/negev/295/

Oh wait. Never mind.

Old Yesterday, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Black & White cookies. And don't fool around with grocery stores or local bakeries. Order from Wm Greenberg in NYC. (get full size, not minis)
My daughter used to date a guy born in Germany. He said they call black-and-white cookies "Americans".

Old Yesterday, 09:46 PM

21,611 posts, read 26,294,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
What a silly notion. Bread rises because of yeast. Yeast is a fungus. Gluten is a protein found in wheat.
https://www.bakeinfo.co.nz/Facts/Glu...-bread-making-

Old Yesterday, 11:21 PM

7,634 posts, read 8,045,292 times
What do you mean by a Jewish Dessert? Ashkenazi? Sephardic? Yemite? Morrocan? They are all different borrowing ingredients from what was available locally. Babka is none of the above. You will find that various East European cultures have some variation of it, including Kokash. Sephardic desserts might incorporate figs, pomegranates, or pistachio nuts, while Askenazi tend to use Walnuts. Rugelach is East European/Askenazi. "Honey Balls" is a New Year dessert and there might be a gluten free recipe for that. The Israelis have jelly donuts for Hanukah rather than the Askenazi potato pancakes. German/Austrian Jews love their strudel, but I don't consider that a "Jewish" dessert even though it is often part of a Jewish meal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink