U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-13-2018, 12:44 PM
 
Location: Southwest Washington State
19,094 posts, read 12,656,119 times
Reputation: 24840

Advertisements

Go off sugar and fast food cold turkey. If this is impossible, give yourself one cheat meal per week.

Once you are off sugar, your taste buds will learn to like other tastes. The fast food has deadened you to salt, probably. Things might taste tasteless without a lot of salt. So you have to go through this to get to the other side.

No one likes every vegetable. I certainly don't. But if you can learn to like more of them, you can do better with your diet. Start eating the ones you like raw, if that is possible. I mean, you have to start somewhere, right?

Then learn how to prepare or cook one or two of the ones you would like to like, but don't.

Investigate roasting veggies. There are a ton of sheet pan roasting recipes online. This is a simple way to enjoy some veggies, like Brussels sprouts, which many people can't seem to learn to like. If you learn to like olive oil, you can anoint them tastefully that way.

I think the major thing is motivation. I think you are motivated now. So don't waste this time. Use it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-13-2018, 12:45 PM
 
Location: Chicago area
13,181 posts, read 7,276,408 times
Reputation: 50317
[quote=Va83;53629262]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post

Itís not a religious issue. I just never crave pork and I only eat ham and bacon anyway. IMO I cannot say pork taste better than chicken. Although chicken and bacon is considered one of the eight wonders of the food world.



Bacon is one of the eight wonders of the food world. LOL Sometimes you just have to have it.

Have you tried making kale chips? I will eat a whole pan of them in one sitting. I like making my own home made sweet potato chips too. It's one way to incorporate more veggies. I've always loved greens and my veggies.

Start with small steps and try making a chicken stir fry served over quinoa instead of rice. You could also try making a pot of home made chicken soup. You can put every imaginable vegetable in there including kale and I make it with my garden tomatoes.

Once you get used to eating healthy and the way it makes you feel, you will find that the junk food just makes you feel bad. I'm not against an occasional burger and fries, it's a quality of life issue. I have however tried and failed so many times to get sugar out of my diet. I'm totally addicted. Right now I'm thinking about toasting some marshmallows over the burners. It's the only thing with sugar in the house and that with drawl is strong.

Do you exercise? That's a big part of felling good too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2018, 02:39 PM
 
Location: State of Transition
73,263 posts, read 64,833,652 times
Reputation: 69339
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I don’t have anything against vegetarians, although I dont understand them, but I just heard that my husband’s niece, who is mid 40s, had to have a hip replacement due to severe osteoporosis. She has been a life long vegetarian and her doctor said it caused her bones to weaken.

Does OP cook? I started getting a very affordable meal service, 3 days a week of dinners for $30. called dinnerly.com. Everything you need is included and the fresh produce is good quality. You could try it, or one like it, although you do not get a choice of what that weeks 3 meals are. Sometimes they’re beef, sometimes chicken or turkey, and sometimes meatless. I feel they are balanced.

Also, there is nothing stopping you from getting a salad at a fast food place.

I think your thinking is all over the place, OP. Why not just start small and uncomplicated. Every day have a salad with protein for lunch (chicken, eggs, beans, tuna, or cheese.) Drink water or unsweetened tea. Then, no matter what other lousy stuff you throw down, you will at least have given your body the basics that day.
Osteoporosis would only occur if someone were a Vegan, not a garden-variety vegetarian. Being a vegetarian doesn't preclude consuming dairy products. That's the crucial issue. People who become vegetarians need to research nutrition thoroughly first, to make sure the diet they're planning provides sufficient amounts of all the nutrients they need. IIRC, vitamin B-12 is missing in vegetarian diets, and needs to be supplemented. Smart vegetarians do their homework, first.

That's very sad about your niece. So young, to have severe osteoporosis! A few doctors start recommending bone density tests for women after they pass 40. I think it should be done across the board. AFAIK, though, insurance doesn't pay for the tests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2018, 03:43 PM
 
934 posts, read 441,514 times
Reputation: 843
[quote=animalcrazy;53632273]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va83 View Post




Bacon is one of the eight wonders of the food world. LOL Sometimes you just have to have it.

Have you tried making kale chips? I will eat a whole pan of them in one sitting. I like making my own home made sweet potato chips too. It's one way to incorporate more veggies. I've always loved greens and my veggies.

Start with small steps and try making a chicken stir fry served over quinoa instead of rice. You could also try making a pot of home made chicken soup. You can put every imaginable vegetable in there including kale and I make it with my garden tomatoes.

Once you get used to eating healthy and the way it makes you feel, you will find that the junk food just makes you feel bad. I'm not against an occasional burger and fries, it's a quality of life issue. I have however tried and failed so many times to get sugar out of my diet. I'm totally addicted. Right now I'm thinking about toasting some marshmallows over the burners. It's the only thing with sugar in the house and that with drawl is strong.

Do you exercise? That's a big part of felling good too.
How ironic! I went to put kale chips in my online shopping cart this morning for the first time. Never had them but dying to try it. Did you know 2oz of kale chips is basically $5? Do you know the size bag of Doritos I can get for less than $5? But I didnít do it. I kept the kale chips.
Another irony is that I like spinach (cooked or raw) put it in our smoothies. I also like broccoli with cheese anyway. And many others that fall in the salad base category. Brussel Sprouts not so much although Iíve never had it. It looks odd and people say itís gross so I never bothered with it.
I know I donít like peppers of any kind. I eat pickles but I donít bother with cucumbers (idky) I also donít eat tomatoes or white/ yellow onions. Again itís not necessarily that I donít like it but for some reason I do avoid them. Iím weird.
I donít remember ever having a mushroom or squash before. I hate beets and cooked cabbage is delicious but gives me really bad gas.
Thatís all I can think of right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2018, 03:54 PM
 
934 posts, read 441,514 times
Reputation: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I donít have anything against vegetarians, although I dont understand them, but I just heard that my husbandís niece, who is mid 40s, had to have a hip replacement due to severe osteoporosis. She has been a life long vegetarian and her doctor said it caused her bones to weaken.

Does OP cook? I started getting a very affordable meal service, 3 days a week of dinners for $30. called dinnerly.com. Everything you need is included and the fresh produce is good quality. You could try it, or one like it, although you do not get a choice of what that weeks 3 meals are. Sometimes theyíre beef, sometimes chicken or turkey, and sometimes meatless. I feel they are balanced.

Also, there is nothing stopping you from getting a salad at a fast food place.

I think your thinking is all over the place, OP. Why not just start small and uncomplicated. Every day have a salad with protein for lunch (chicken, eggs, beans, tuna, or cheese.) Drink water or unsweetened tea. Then, no matter what other lousy stuff you throw down, you will at least have given your body the basics that day.
I actually do cook. More so teaching he kid to cook. I just like convenient eating. Cooking every night is setting myself up. 20-30 minutes to cook by time I eat Iím not as hungry. I donít eat nearly as much real food as junk. Very rarely do i go back for seconds. Which is why meal prepping worked so well for me for a long time.
Itís also true that I can get salads at fast food places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2018, 03:56 PM
 
934 posts, read 441,514 times
Reputation: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I donít have anything against vegetarians, although I dont understand them, but I just heard that my husbandís niece, who is mid 40s, had to have a hip replacement due to severe osteoporosis. She has been a life long vegetarian and her doctor said it caused her bones to weaken.

Does OP cook? I started getting a very affordable meal service, 3 days a week of dinners for $30. called dinnerly.com. Everything you need is included and the fresh produce is good quality. You could try it, or one like it, although you do not get a choice of what that weeks 3 meals are. Sometimes theyíre beef, sometimes chicken or turkey, and sometimes meatless. I feel they are balanced.

Also, there is nothing stopping you from getting a salad at a fast food place.

I think your thinking is all over the place, OP. Why not just start small and uncomplicated. Every day have a salad with protein for lunch (chicken, eggs, beans, tuna, or cheese.) Drink water or unsweetened tea. Then, no matter what other lousy stuff you throw down, you will at least have given your body the basics that day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Look up fish recipes online. There are some good recipes for red snapper (make sure you have the guy at the fish counter tat the grocery store remove the bones to the extent possible: snapper is very boney). Salmon is great as is, without anything extra. I lightly fry sole filets in onions, then add thin slices of yellow squash with cilantro, and let it poach. The yellow squash and yellow onions give the fish a sweet flavor. It's very quick and easy to do.

Veggies? I find I can eat almost any veggie raw, in a salad. I make one huge salad/day, using a wide variety of greens, cucumber, tomato, sprouts. You can add protein to that, for a complete meal: cottage cheese, or grated cheddar for flavor + leftover salmon from the night before (hint, hint), or chicken pieces. If you don't use grated cheese, throw in slices of avocado. Make your own vinaigrette dressing, it's really easy. Let copped green onion marinate in the dressing for the afternoon, before your dinner/salad.

Ridiculously nutritious salad greens (aside from basic green or red lettuce): kale (tasty, too), dandelion greens, red chard/Swiss chard, spinach (important for iron, if you're not going to have red meat very often). I also add either broccoli florets, or thinly-sliced red cabbage. Using all these ingredients, you'll have yourself a meal that satisfies at least 6 of the 9 recommended daily servings of veggies. A good variety of ingredients like this creates a colorful, highly nutritious salad with a variety of textures and flavors. For carbs, you can add chick peas or red beans, or sprinkle brown rice into it. For variety from one day to the next, you can make your salad lettuce-based one day, with a selection of certain other greens, and spinach-based another day, with a different selection of greens, etc.

You can experiment with different vinegars (rice vinegar provides a slightly sweet element), and different oils (for example, walnut oil, and add toasted walnut bits, to go with it, avocado oil on the days you add avocado, and so on).

Making mixed salads with a good, tangy dressing is a good way to get kids to eat their vegetables. It works for adults, too.

IN addition to fish, consider buying a ready rotisserie chicken from time to time. You can serve that as a meat dish the day you buy it, when it's still warm from the store, and use it in salads on a couple of days, too. Then take the legs with you to work, for lunch.

I can eat blackened salmon every day itís so good. These are great salad ideas. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2018, 04:19 PM
 
934 posts, read 441,514 times
Reputation: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Your subject title says you want to be a "pescatarian" . That means no meat - vegies and fish. WHY? What's the problem with eating MEAT?

proper portions of lean meat are considered healthy eating (no insult to vegetarians intended).

If you insist on restricting your diet so much, you'll fail. Quickly. Start small. Stay away from McDonald's - just DON'T step inside or line up at the drive through. Bring your lunch to work. Add a vegetable or a salad to your dinner (prepared at home). Don't add so much butter to that baked potato, and avoid it entirely with vegies. Don't put so much salad dressing on - in fact, switch it to a little olive oil and vinegar.

And I would bet a hundred bucks that any pork you've had had been overcooked.
I was thinking about the last time I was healthy and my diet at that time. Like I said very little if any red meat as I only eat lean ground beef (burgers/ tacos etc) a rare roost beef sandwich. Maybe a turkey sandwich for lunch. I did/do eat a lot of chicken breast (easy to meal prep in a variety of ways, holds up good as a leftover and tasty). Shrimp, fish, salmon, crab legs, crawfish and lobster are other items I can eat every day. Veggies and fruit are something I have to take in for good health. Dairy is something I love and included in most of my foods. Milk by itself is something I have to restrict to under 16oz in 24 hours. I sometimes like almond milk but it canít replace the real thing for me. For some reason I have it in my mind that eventually all dairy is going to turn against me because milk has. Plus I now know that cheese is molded Ďmilkí with cow pus. GROSS but tasty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2018, 06:01 PM
Status: "if UNTHAW is a word ..i want to UN-AGE ," (set 1 day ago)
 
17,262 posts, read 22,315,938 times
Reputation: 31490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va83 View Post
I was thinking about the last time I was healthy and my diet at that time. Like I said very little if any red meat as I only eat lean ground beef (burgers/ tacos etc) a rare roost beef sandwich. Maybe a turkey sandwich for lunch. I did/do eat a lot of chicken breast (easy to meal prep in a variety of ways, holds up good as a leftover and tasty). Shrimp, fish, salmon, crab legs, crawfish and lobster are other items I can eat every day. Veggies and fruit are something I have to take in for good health. Dairy is something I love and included in most of my foods. Milk by itself is something I have to restrict to under 16oz in 24 hours. I sometimes like almond milk but it canít replace the real thing for me. For some reason I have it in my mind that eventually all dairy is going to turn against me because milk has. Plus I now know that cheese is molded Ďmilkí with cow pus. GROSS but tasty.
I use to drink 1/2 gallon of chocolate milk a day for over a year...I dont anymore but do eat lots of cheese and eggs

and im living proof if red meat is bad ...i'd have been dead 10 yrs ago.... I eat steak 3-4 times a week for decades and very little veggies - but also very little sugars and carbs in the last couple years.... the health nut peers in my age group(friends & co-workers) all seem to be on medications....im on none and never felt better -

to each their own...do what you believe .. but red meat and pork isn't bad for you
im a butcher so im a little bias'd
but more and more studies are coming back that meat is one of the best foods we can consume including red meat Ö watch "the magic pill" on Netflix - it exposes the addiction many of have to sugars and carbs .. and that proteins and some fats are healthy for us


this is from a cardiologist - eat a steak for a healthy heart

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/opi...n-13239443.php
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2018, 07:14 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
21,570 posts, read 22,856,459 times
Reputation: 45520
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Does OP cook? I started getting a very affordable meal service, 3 days a week of dinners for $30. called dinnerly.com. Everything you need is included and the fresh produce is good quality. You could try it, or one like it, although you do not get a choice of what that weeks 3 meals are. Sometimes they’re beef, sometimes chicken or turkey, and sometimes meatless. I feel they are balanced.
The idea of the OP signing up for a trial of Blue Apron or one of those meal prep services is a good one. She can get back on the wagon with cooking, but all the heavy lifting is already done.

If you really want to eat better, you have to think ahead. The trap with fast food is that it's fast and too easy to make lazy choices. The internet is full of quick and easy meals, but you have to be willing to put in the time and effort. And you don' t have to choke down plain veggies if that's not what you like, but you can find soups, chilis, smoothies, and casseroles that incorporate fresh foods and also taste pretty good.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 11-13-2018 at 07:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2018, 07:51 PM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
51,749 posts, read 50,958,491 times
Reputation: 60770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Osteoporosis would only occur if someone were a Vegan, not a garden-variety vegetarian. Being a vegetarian doesn't preclude consuming dairy products. That's the crucial issue. People who become vegetarians need to research nutrition thoroughly first, to make sure the diet they're planning provides sufficient amounts of all the nutrients they need. IIRC, vitamin B-12 is missing in vegetarian diets, and needs to be supplemented. Smart vegetarians do their homework, first.

That's very sad about your niece. So young, to have severe osteoporosis! A few doctors start recommending bone density tests for women after they pass 40. I think it should be done across the board. AFAIK, though, insurance doesn't pay for the tests.
Mine does.

A darker side of demonstrating that insurance sometimes pays for bone density testing was when a woman who used to work for an OB/GYN group revealed that when the doctors in the group purchased a lab that did bone density testing, every woman who had insurance that covered it got sent for testing, even when they had ovarian cancer and would not live long enough to get osteoporosis. I don't remember the details of why her testimony came about, but I think it had to do with a Congressional group. It was some time ago that I read it.

Anyway, OP, I would go with the suggestion that someone has already made to just make one or two changes. Making sure that one meal each day is a salad with protein is a good one. I did that to lose weight.

Have vegetarian days when you plan meatless meals. Start with one day a week to eat fish instead of meat. Things like that.
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top