U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 08:14 PM

73,263 posts, read 64,833,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Mine does.

A darker side of demonstrating that insurance sometimes pays for bone density testing was when a woman who used to work for an OB/GYN group revealed that when the doctors in the group purchased a lab that did bone density testing, every woman who had insurance that covered it got sent for testing, even when they had ovarian cancer and would not live long enough to get osteoporosis. I don't remember the details of why her testimony came about, but I think it had to do with a Congressional group. It was some time ago that I read it.

Anyway, OP, I would go with the suggestion that someone has already made to just make one or two changes. Making sure that one meal each day is a salad with protein is a good one. I did that to lose weight.

Have vegetarian days when you plan meatless meals. Start with one day a week to eat fish instead of meat. Things like that.
Just because the doctor fills an order for a test for you, doesn't mean you have to go through with it. You can ignore it, and walk out the door, when he sends you down the hall (or wherever) for a test you know you don't need. I saw a endocrinologist for some kind of hormone testing years ago, I forget what it was (thyroid, probably), and he insisted I get a pregnancy test, "just in case". Well, I would know if if I'd had any partners that year or not, lol. Ridiculous. He wrote the order at the end of my appointment, and told me to go up the elevator to another floor, for the test. I walked out the front door, instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 08:54 PM

51,749 posts, read 50,958,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Just because the doctor fills an order for a test for you, doesn't mean you have to go through with it. You can ignore it, and walk out the door, when he sends you down the hall (or wherever) for a test you know you don't need. I saw a endocrinologist for some kind of hormone testing years ago, I forget what it was (thyroid, probably), and he insisted I get a pregnancy test, "just in case". Well, I would know if if I'd had any partners that year or not, lol. Ridiculous. He wrote the order at the end of my appointment, and told me to go up the elevator to another floor, for the test. I walked out the front door, instead.
You're preaching to the choir. I don't go to doctors if I can help it.

Old 11-13-2018, 09:02 PM

237 posts, read 65,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va83 View Post
At the moment my diet is trash. I just ate some McDonalds and I’m torn about it. I’m going to give you the whole story of this week and try to not be too gross about it.
For the last hmmm let’s say year I’ve been letting myself go to be nice about it. I’ve been eating Burger King like every day almost. A few months ago I started grocery shopping again but nothing actually healthy. Last week on a fluke not even paying attention I brought fruit and salads. Most of which went in the trash honestly. This week I haven’t been able to leave the house because I’m sick. Monday I woke up with milia. Other than being unsightly it’s nothing to worry about. Tuesday I woke up with pinkeye. Thursday I started my period and had flu symptoms. This weekend I decided to eat healthy to try to clear things up. Friday&Saturday I ate nothing but salads and drink only tea water and orange juice. The amount of BO that leaked off of me this weekend was disturbing. A friend told me my body was just starting to detoxify. But does it happen that soon?

Anyway this is just background to my real concern. My body is sending me a message and I’ve received it. Back when I was healthy I ate very little if any red meat and no pork. I do love white meat chicken but I also love a variety of fish. Vegetables are a touchy subject for me. There are very few that I like. So few I can list them. I use to meal prep and only drink water and maybe some hot unsweetened tea.

I’ve said all that to ask this. Is there a way to widen my variety of food choices? I know our taste buds change every few years but mines always seem to favor whoppers over tofu. How can I start liking vegetables? Do you even like vegetables or do you force yourself to eat them? I use to measure my foods and always eat my veggies first to insure I get them in. What are your tricks to healthy eating?
I LOVE vegetables! I've been a vegetarian (ovo-lacto; eggs and dairy) for 45 years.
My wife doesn't like veges at all but she forces herself to eat them.
Thus my ideas on how to like veges:

Try them with some of the below:

organic flax oil
really good quality olive oil
cider vinegar
oil and vinegar
Himalayan salt (just a pinch) - can be in addition to any of the above
Parmesan cheese

Melted cheese

Most of the above are healthy (flax oil and olive oil (raw), vinegar, Himalayan salt... Cheese not as much, but in moderation it's okay)

Try different veges you may not have tried:
steamed chard (my favorite!) Organic rainbow or swiss is my favorite)
steamed spinach
baked kale with a little olive oil and salt as you bake it
potatoes (not technically a vege but...) with Mexican salsa, or flax oil or olive oil instead of butter (butter is okay but in moderation)

Here's one of my favorite foods, easy to make and I make enough for a week of meals at once:
Lentils with potatoes, tomatoes, carrots, and sauteed onions and bell pepper, maybe mushrooms too, with garlic and oregano, cumin, pepper, and salt

Vege soup with your least hated veges... LOL.
Usually adding tomato sauce and potatoes and carrots can help hide the taste of other more nutritious veges.

Salads with things you might like added in around the things you don't like:
artichoke hearts, black or green olives, avocado (olives and avocadoes are fruit, not veges), different flavors of lettuces, hard boiled eggs, parmesan cheese, any kind of cheese... Just don't go nuts on the oils or dressings, as those are where lots of calories come into play. But while olive oil and flax oil have a lot of fat they are good fats. Just don't go nuts with them.

Add veges like steamed brocolli or cauliflower, chard or spinach to pasta with parmesan cheese and maybe tomato sauce or spaghetti or pizza sauce, and black olives.

The vege sandwich on whole wheat bread at Subway. Too much bread isn't good for one but once in a while...

Vege pizzas are much better for you than meat pizzas. I love onion, mushroom, olive, and sun dried tomatoes with cheese.

If you don't like any of the above, you're hopeless! LOL.

Old 11-13-2018, 09:49 PM

934 posts, read 441,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingvanmorrison View Post
I LOVE vegetables! I've been a vegetarian (ovo-lacto; eggs and dairy) for 45 years.
My wife doesn't like veges at all but she forces herself to eat them.
Thus my ideas on how to like veges:

Try them with some of the below:

organic flax oil
really good quality olive oil
cider vinegar
oil and vinegar
Himalayan salt (just a pinch) - can be in addition to any of the above
Parmesan cheese

Melted cheese

Most of the above are healthy (flax oil and olive oil (raw), vinegar, Himalayan salt... Cheese not as much, but in moderation it's okay)

Try different veges you may not have tried:
steamed chard (my favorite!) Organic rainbow or swiss is my favorite)
steamed spinach
baked kale with a little olive oil and salt as you bake it
potatoes (not technically a vege but...) with Mexican salsa, or flax oil or olive oil instead of butter (butter is okay but in moderation)

Here's one of my favorite foods, easy to make and I make enough for a week of meals at once:
Lentils with potatoes, tomatoes, carrots, and sauteed onions and bell pepper, maybe mushrooms too, with garlic and oregano, cumin, pepper, and salt

Vege soup with your least hated veges... LOL.
Usually adding tomato sauce and potatoes and carrots can help hide the taste of other more nutritious veges.

Salads with things you might like added in around the things you don't like:
artichoke hearts, black or green olives, avocado (olives and avocadoes are fruit, not veges), different flavors of lettuces, hard boiled eggs, parmesan cheese, any kind of cheese... Just don't go nuts on the oils or dressings, as those are where lots of calories come into play. But while olive oil and flax oil have a lot of fat they are good fats. Just don't go nuts with them.

Add veges like steamed brocolli or cauliflower, chard or spinach to pasta with parmesan cheese and maybe tomato sauce or spaghetti or pizza sauce, and black olives.

The vege sandwich on whole wheat bread at Subway. Too much bread isn't good for one but once in a while...

Vege pizzas are much better for you than meat pizzas. I love onion, mushroom, olive, and sun dried tomatoes with cheese.

If you don't like any of the above, you're hopeless! LOL.

Iím not sure if Iím hopeless lol! Iíve never had half of those. I donít know what chard is lol.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:18 PM

1,358 posts, read 485,567 times
What about trying 2-3 new vegetables a week? Simple things like making homemade spaghetti but instead of pasta noodles buy zucchini noodles. Cook them in a pan by sauteing them , then adding everything as you normally would. It taste delicious and a way to eat more veggies.

Simple side dishes: Sauteed sweet potatoes only take about 20 min, same with red potatoes sauteed and sprinkled with rosemary, real salt/ pepper.
A side dish I also like is sauteed green beans, with zucchini and shallots. Jamie Oliver has great real food ideas and recipes.

Its a little too late now in the season but visiting a farmer market is really helpful. The food is fresh and you have many options.

Old 11-14-2018, 01:26 AM

7,293 posts, read 2,285,500 times
Quote:
At the moment my diet is trash. I just ate some McDonalds and Iím torn about it. Iím going to give you the whole story of this week and try to not be too gross about it.
For the last hmmm letís say year Iíve been letting myself go to be nice about it. Iíve been eating Burger King like every day almost. A few months ago I started grocery shopping again but nothing actually healthy. Last week on a fluke not even paying attention I brought fruit and salads. Most of which went in the trash honestly. This week I havenít been able to leave the house because Iím sick. Monday I woke up with milia. Other than being unsightly itís nothing to worry about. Tuesday I woke up with pinkeye. Thursday I started my period and had flu symptoms. This weekend I decided to eat healthy to try to clear things up. Friday&Saturday I ate nothing but salads and drink only tea water and orange juice. The amount of BO that leaked off of me this weekend was disturbing. A friend told me my body was just starting to detoxify. But does it happen that soon?

Anyway this is just background to my real concern. My body is sending me a message and Iíve received it. Back when I was healthy I ate very little if any red meat and no pork. I do love white meat chicken but I also love a variety of fish. Vegetables are a touchy subject for me. There are very few that I like. So few I can list them. I use to meal prep and only drink water and maybe some hot unsweetened tea.

Iíve said all that to ask this. Is there a way to widen my variety of food choices? I know our taste buds change every few years but mines always seem to favor whoppers over tofu. How can I start liking vegetables? Do you even like vegetables or do you force yourself to eat them? I use to measure my foods and always eat my veggies first to insure I get them in. What are your tricks to healthy eating?
Eat raw, fresh vegetables and fruit. They contain more vitamins than if they're cooked. Try avocados, tomatoes, apples, pears, celery and whatever you like. You don't spend time and energy cooking them. I think fresh produce is much tastier than when cooked. You can easily grab some for a quick snack, whenever the mood strikes you. A can or two of water-pack sardines, fits right into that, with lemon or lime juice. I look around for low prices and currently can buy Chicken-of-the-Sea sardines for 94 cents a can. Their claim of improved quality is for real. They provide omega 3 fat and calcium from the bones.

Old 11-16-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Eat raw, fresh vegetables and fruit. They contain more vitamins than if they're cooked. Try avocados, tomatoes, apples, pears, celery and whatever you like. You don't spend time and energy cooking them. I think fresh produce is much tastier than when cooked. You can easily grab some for a quick snack, whenever the mood strikes you. A can or two of water-pack sardines, fits right into that, with lemon or lime juice. I look around for low prices and currently can buy Chicken-of-the-Sea sardines for 94 cents a can. Their claim of improved quality is for real. They provide omega 3 fat and calcium from the bones.

Yes that's another thing I do: I eat snacks like raw veges (especially celery) with something like hummus from Trader Joe's (or wherever). Or make it.
Or celery or carrot slices with cheddar or ? cheese.

However, some veges don't taste as good raw as they do cooked so be aware of that. To me the ones that taste best cooked are chard (my fave!) and kale, brocolli and cauliflower.
Also don't over-cook veges.
When I was a kid my mom would cook cauliflower in a pressure cooker. God only knows why! It STUNK up the house and tasted awful!
Now I cut the cauliflower into florets and steam them in 10 min... and they taste great not too soft, still crunchy, like broccoli.

I make my own tortilla pizzas with whole wheat tortillas, low fat cheese, and sauteed bell peppers with onions and tomatoes, and black olives, garlic and oregano, in a toaster oven.

By the way, imho, a toaster oven is way more useful than a microwave.
I make melted cheese sandwiches with onion and pickle, lettuce and mayo in one, the above tortilla pizzas, burritos with flour tortillas and cheese and beans and whatever else (onions, tomatoes, salsa, lettuce.

Also try different kinds of lettuces.

Old 11-16-2018, 06:43 PM

15,628 posts, read 29,380,209 times
Quote:
At the moment my diet is trash. I just ate some McDonalds and Iím torn about it. Iím going to give you the whole story of this week and try to not be too gross about it.
For the last hmmm letís say year Iíve been letting myself go to be nice about it. Iíve been eating Burger King like every day almost. A few months ago I started grocery shopping again but nothing actually healthy. Last week on a fluke not even paying attention I brought fruit and salads. Most of which went in the trash honestly. This week I havenít been able to leave the house because Iím sick. Monday I woke up with milia. Other than being unsightly itís nothing to worry about. Tuesday I woke up with pinkeye. Thursday I started my period and had flu symptoms. This weekend I decided to eat healthy to try to clear things up. Friday&Saturday I ate nothing but salads and drink only tea water and orange juice. The amount of BO that leaked off of me this weekend was disturbing. A friend told me my body was just starting to detoxify. But does it happen that soon?

Anyway this is just background to my real concern. My body is sending me a message and Iíve received it. Back when I was healthy I ate very little if any red meat and no pork. I do love white meat chicken but I also love a variety of fish. Vegetables are a touchy subject for me. There are very few that I like. So few I can list them. I use to meal prep and only drink water and maybe some hot unsweetened tea.

Iíve said all that to ask this. Is there a way to widen my variety of food choices? I know our taste buds change every few years but mines always seem to favor whoppers over tofu. How can I start liking vegetables? Do you even like vegetables or do you force yourself to eat them? I use to measure my foods and always eat my veggies first to insure I get them in. What are your tricks to healthy eating?
I dislike veggies and fruit - everything that is "good" and I adore everything that is bad. i feel your pain.

Hollendaise helps me eat some things I abhore. But mostly I don't.

I have a fabulous immune wystem and feel better now than I have ever felt. Back in the day when I ate whole, fresh, plant based foods I had HORRIFIC digestive problems. So bad my husband feared I had colon cancer. Once I dumped healthy eating for a high-fat meat- based diet I have had ZERO digestive problems. I would not go back to eating that way for a million dollars.

FInd what works for YOU.

Old 11-16-2018, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I dislike veggies and fruit - everything that is "good" and I adore everything that is bad. i feel your pain.

Hollendaise helps me eat some things I abhore. But mostly I don't.

I have a fabulous immune wystem and feel better now than I have ever felt. Back in the day when I ate whole, fresh, plant based foods I had HORRIFIC digestive problems. So bad my husband feared I had colon cancer. Once I dumped healthy eating for a high-fat meat- based diet I have had ZERO digestive problems. I would not go back to eating that way for a million dollars.

FInd what works for YOU.
Sorry but there is not nutrition for one person that is different for another.
Nutrition and healthy eating is nutrition and healthy eating.

If you can't handle eating veges and healthy food it's because your body is very screwed up and unhealthy. Period.

You and the OP need to start eating healthy and learn to enjoy eating healthy.

Some people have to "learn" to drink coffee or beer. They don't like it at first but they become accustomed to it. You need to learn to eat veges.

Eating veges is not a "fad" diet, it's a science-proven healthy diet! Either learn to eat veges or expect to be unhealthy in later life (if not sooner). I'm NOT saying to be a vegetarian! That's an option but it's not necessary, at all! No. What I am saying is, EVERY body needs to eat veges on a daily basis. Without it you can't be healthy. Period.

Old 11-16-2018, 07:52 PM

15,628 posts, read 29,380,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingvanmorrison View Post
Sorry but there is not nutrition for one person that is different for another.
Nutrition and healthy eating is nutrition and healthy eating.

If you can't handle eating veges and healthy food it's because your body is very screwed up and unhealthy. Period.

You and the OP need to start eating healthy and learn to enjoy eating healthy.

Some people have to "learn" to drink coffee or beer. They don't like it at first but they become accustomed to it. You need to learn to eat veges.

Eating veges is not a "fad" diet, it's a science-proven healthy diet! Either learn to eat veges or expect to be unhealthy in later life (if not sooner). I'm NOT saying to be a vegetarian! That's an option but it's not necessary, at all! No. What I am saying is, EVERY body needs to eat veges on a daily basis. Without it you can't be healthy. Period.
I am 63 and can outwork people half my age. I have no health issues aside from a little arthritis at the site of old sports injuries. I sleep about 5 -6 hours and work 10 -12 hour days 6 days a week. Three days a week I get up a 2:30 am to be at work by 4.

I have not had a cold in three years and never get sick.

I guess I've just been lucky so far with my high fat, no veggie diets. I do take supplements to get the vitamins I'm missing. And I drink LOTS of beer!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or