U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 02:06 AM

933 posts, read 440,147 times

Advertisements

At the moment my diet is trash. I just ate some McDonalds and Iím torn about it. Iím going to give you the whole story of this week and try to not be too gross about it.
For the last hmmm letís say year Iíve been letting myself go to be nice about it. Iíve been eating Burger King like every day almost. A few months ago I started grocery shopping again but nothing actually healthy. Last week on a fluke not even paying attention I brought fruit and salads. Most of which went in the trash honestly. This week I havenít been able to leave the house because Iím sick. Monday I woke up with milia. Other than being unsightly itís nothing to worry about. Tuesday I woke up with pinkeye. Thursday I started my period and had flu symptoms. This weekend I decided to eat healthy to try to clear things up. Friday&Saturday I ate nothing but salads and drink only tea water and orange juice. The amount of BO that leaked off of me this weekend was disturbing. A friend told me my body was just starting to detoxify. But does it happen that soon?

Anyway this is just background to my real concern. My body is sending me a message and Iíve received it. Back when I was healthy I ate very little if any red meat and no pork. I do love white meat chicken but I also love a variety of fish. Vegetables are a touchy subject for me. There are very few that I like. So few I can list them. I use to meal prep and only drink water and maybe some hot unsweetened tea.

Iíve said all that to ask this. Is there a way to widen my variety of food choices? I know our taste buds change every few years but mines always seem to favor whoppers over tofu. How can I start liking vegetables? Do you even like vegetables or do you force yourself to eat them? I use to measure my foods and always eat my veggies first to insure I get them in. What are your tricks to healthy eating?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 04:49 AM

17,249 posts, read 22,305,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va83 View Post
At the moment my diet is trash. I just ate some McDonalds and Iím torn about it. Iím going to give you the whole story of this week and try to not be too gross about it.
For the last hmmm letís say year Iíve been letting myself go to be nice about it. Iíve been eating Burger King like every day almost. A few months ago I started grocery shopping again but nothing actually healthy. Last week on a fluke not even paying attention I brought fruit and salads. Most of which went in the trash honestly. This week I havenít been able to leave the house because Iím sick. Monday I woke up with milia. Other than being unsightly itís nothing to worry about. Tuesday I woke up with pinkeye. Thursday I started my period and had flu symptoms. This weekend I decided to eat healthy to try to clear things up. Friday&Saturday I ate nothing but salads and drink only tea water and orange juice. The amount of BO that leaked off of me this weekend was disturbing. A friend told me my body was just starting to detoxify. But does it happen that soon?

Anyway this is just background to my real concern. My body is sending me a message and Iíve received it. Back when I was healthy I ate very little if any red meat and no pork. I do love white meat chicken but I also love a variety of fish. Vegetables are a touchy subject for me. There are very few that I like. So few I can list them. I use to meal prep and only drink water and maybe some hot unsweetened tea.

Iíve said all that to ask this. Is there a way to widen my variety of food choices? I know our taste buds change every few years but mines always seem to favor whoppers over tofu. How can I start liking vegetables? Do you even like vegetables or do you force yourself to eat them? I use to measure my foods and always eat my veggies first to insure I get them in. What are your tricks to healthy eating?
every journey takes a first step..... the more radical the change, the tougher it is to stick with it..... I reduced sugars and carbs this past year, and have never felt better... sugars cause inflammation and I believe is the real food demon .. cancer cells grow in sugar..
and I have quite a sweet tooth..

no one can do this but yourself.... what your NOT eating is as important as what you ARE eating.. dont set yourself up to fail.... start slowly.... your body will rebel....id recommend a low impact exercise routine...even if its just resistance bands for 10 minutes morning and night...(follow along with you tube videos their are thousands)

what works for me ...may not work for you (ive minimized sugars and carbs...and do eat much protein....but my bloodwork and cholesterol is fine... im well over 50 on no medications...)

for 40 years the healthy mantra has been lean and low fat ÖÖ.and we are more obese than ever... ( no one beats up on the sugar and major food companies..... loading up foods with chemicals) some fats are healthy for you...

good luck and whatever you choose.... feel good about it... most of us have used food for therapy...the wrong foods.. you need to break those associations... plan ahead for snacks and avoid temptations..

Old 11-13-2018, 05:08 AM

39,495 posts, read 38,106,476 times
You've conditioned your body to crave fast food and the salty, fatty carb high that comes with it. I've been there.

You can make changes slowly, like ordering the grilled chicken sandwich most fast-food places offer if you HAVE to go that route. You also should skip the fries altogether since they offer NO value at all.

But the best way to make the switch is to eat more real food long enough that you feel the positive results. Your skin will show some of the earliest improvements. Drinking only water (no high-sugar/carb juice or high-sodium diet soda) will also help your skin.

If you want to go pescatarian, you're already at an advantage because you can rely on the protein it provides to feel full. The problem with being pescatarian is that you'll want to avoid fast food altogether since fried fish is usually the only option they offer.

As for incorporating vegetables, there are better ways to cook them than just boiling, which is what I grew up with. I started eating grape tomatoes at breakfast as a "side" with scrambled eggs. When I wanted chips, any raw vegetables will substitute. I ate raw baby carrots, celery or even almonds. I started with the lightly salted version and moved to plain raw almonds.

I also started sauteeing vegetables, which takes literally 5 minutes on the stovetop. I buy this precut broccoli slaw at Kroger and saute it in olive oil with a little garlic.

You also can sautee spinach with garlic and oil until it wilts.

Roasting vegetables is my favorite way to eat them. You'd be surprised how good brussels sprouts or carrots are drizzled with balsamic vinegar, roasted and topped with crumbled goat cheese.

You can buy precut vegs at the store or cut your own, of course, then spread them out in a casserole dish, toss with a little oil, salt and pepper, and roast them at 400 degrees. Butternut or acorn squash (precut in cubes) are great veggies that turn soft and mellow and give you that "comfort food" feeling that pasta or potatoes usually give.

The main thing you have to think about is that fast food really is total crap, and your body just doesn't need it. Think about it as "garbage in, garbage out." The effects of taking in that garbage will definitely show on your face.

You can retrain yourself to not want it anymore.

Old 11-13-2018, 05:25 AM

10,896 posts, read 41,364,568 times
if you're serious about dealing with your perceived dietary/health issues, it may be beneficial to get professional help to guide you.

that's where a "work-up" by your primary health care doctor to establish a baseline of your current conditions is vital to setting out the appropriate food intake program for you to optimize your health.

with that info in hand, you can work up a dietary plan with an appropriate pro. I suggest consulting with an ND about your health and setting a realistic program that you can stick to, see results/improvements in the near and long term which reinforce your ability to "stick with" the program.

each of us is unique in our body chemistry, and it's frequently futile to assume that the "diet" that worked for one person to address their body needs will "work" for you. There's literally "hundreds" of diet program books that relate the "success" of the authors … whatever their background may be, some are MD's, some are dieticians, some are health fanatics with a narrow viewpoint. All or none may have a grain of truth to them for you, but it's only by "trial and error" that you'd be able to wade through so many conflicting possible diet schemes to find the "right one" for your needs.

You've embarked upon the first step to success already by recognizing that you may have some health/diet related issues.

Now's the time to capitalize upon that concern by seeking pro assistance to take the next steps.

PS: a "good" diet program for your needs will be self-reinforcing. With proper guidance, you should be able to find the balance in food choices that will reinforce you to eat "properly" without using any crutches to achieve your goals. IOW, it should be so rewarding to your body and mental outlook that it won't be "work" or imposed hardship to eat properly for your dietary needs. I'll second the above comments re "retrain yourself" to obtain satisfaction from the good dietary intake rather than relying upon the crap from the fast/convenience food industry … it really can be easy to learn to never go back to that stuff once you start seeing the improvements/results.

Last edited by sunsprit; 11-13-2018 at 05:37 AM..

Old 11-13-2018, 07:57 AM

20,271 posts, read 28,460,664 times
[quote=Va83;53628053]Back when I was healthy I ate very little if any red meat and no pork./QUOTE]

If you're aversion to Pork is due to religion that's one thing, however many cuts of Pork are very bit as lean/low fat as Chicken and tastes better!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...=.ad67cef85677

Old 11-13-2018, 08:08 AM

933 posts, read 440,147 times
[quote=kyle19125;53629185]
Quote:
Back when I was healthy I ate very little if any red meat and no pork./QUOTE]

If you're aversion to Pork is due to religion that's one thing, however many cuts of Pork are very bit as lean/low fat as Chicken and tastes better!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...=.ad67cef85677
Itís not a religious issue. I just never crave pork and I only eat ham and bacon anyway. IMO I cannot say pork taste better than chicken. Although chicken and bacon is considered one of the eight wonders of the food world.

Old 11-13-2018, 10:18 AM

14,382 posts, read 17,667,630 times
Your subject title says you want to be a "pescatarian" . That means no meat - vegies and fish. WHY? What's the problem with eating MEAT?

proper portions of lean meat are considered healthy eating (no insult to vegetarians intended).

If you insist on restricting your diet so much, you'll fail. Quickly. Start small. Stay away from McDonald's - just DON'T step inside or line up at the drive through. Bring your lunch to work. Add a vegetable or a salad to your dinner (prepared at home). Don't add so much butter to that baked potato, and avoid it entirely with vegies. Don't put so much salad dressing on - in fact, switch it to a little olive oil and vinegar.

And I would bet a hundred bucks that any pork you've had had been overcooked.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:21 AM

39,495 posts, read 38,106,476 times
Quote:
I just never crave pork and I only eat ham and bacon anyway.
Ham and bacon are very salty and usually cured with nitrates and other chemicals you just don't need.

Lean pork can be a great option. You just have to retrain yourself by trying better cuts.

I also wonder why you say you want to be a pescatarian? There's no need to eliminate chicken and lean pork and beef if you don't have to.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:53 AM

73,221 posts, read 64,780,512 times
Look up fish recipes online. There are some good recipes for red snapper (make sure you have the guy at the fish counter tat the grocery store remove the bones to the extent possible: snapper is very boney). Salmon is great as is, without anything extra. I lightly fry sole filets in onions, then add thin slices of yellow squash with cilantro, and let it poach. The yellow squash and yellow onions give the fish a sweet flavor. It's very quick and easy to do.

Veggies? I find I can eat almost any veggie raw, in a salad. I make one huge salad/day, using a wide variety of greens, cucumber, tomato, sprouts. You can add protein to that, for a complete meal: cottage cheese, or grated cheddar for flavor + leftover salmon from the night before (hint, hint), or chicken pieces. If you don't use grated cheese, throw in slices of avocado. Make your own vinaigrette dressing, it's really easy. Let copped green onion marinate in the dressing for the afternoon, before your dinner/salad.

Ridiculously nutritious salad greens (aside from basic green or red lettuce): kale (tasty, too), dandelion greens, red chard/Swiss chard, spinach (important for iron, if you're not going to have red meat very often). I also add either broccoli florets, or thinly-sliced red cabbage. Using all these ingredients, you'll have yourself a meal that satisfies at least 6 of the 9 recommended daily servings of veggies. A good variety of ingredients like this creates a colorful, highly nutritious salad with a variety of textures and flavors. For carbs, you can add chick peas or red beans, or sprinkle brown rice into it. For variety from one day to the next, you can make your salad lettuce-based one day, with a selection of certain other greens, and spinach-based another day, with a different selection of greens, etc.

You can experiment with different vinegars (rice vinegar provides a slightly sweet element), and different oils (for example, walnut oil, and add toasted walnut bits, to go with it, avocado oil on the days you add avocado, and so on).

Making mixed salads with a good, tangy dressing is a good way to get kids to eat their vegetables. It works for adults, too.

IN addition to fish, consider buying a ready rotisserie chicken from time to time. You can serve that as a meat dish the day you buy it, when it's still warm from the store, and use it in salads on a couple of days, too. Then take the legs with you to work, for lunch.

Old 11-13-2018, 12:05 PM

34,872 posts, read 43,028,685 times
I don’t have anything against vegetarians, although I dont understand them, but I just heard that my husband’s niece, who is mid 40s, had to have a hip replacement due to severe osteoporosis. She has been a life long vegetarian and her doctor said it caused her bones to weaken.

Does OP cook? I started getting a very affordable meal service, 3 days a week of dinners for $30. called dinnerly.com. Everything you need is included and the fresh produce is good quality. You could try it, or one like it, although you do not get a choice of what that weeks 3 meals are. Sometimes they’re beef, sometimes chicken or turkey, and sometimes meatless. I feel they are balanced.

Also, there is nothing stopping you from getting a salad at a fast food place.

I think your thinking is all over the place, OP. Why not just start small and uncomplicated. Every day have a salad with protein for lunch (chicken, eggs, beans, tuna, or cheese.) Drink water or unsweetened tea. Then, no matter what other lousy stuff you throw down, you will at least have given your body the basics that day.

Last edited by gentlearts; 11-13-2018 at 12:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or