U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 01:47 PM

70,859 posts, read 82,120,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
I hope I am not repeating someone's post on this thread...I just listened to an air fryer review from America's Test Kitchen. They were surprised to find they really didn't like any of them. They said it's not much different than using a baking rack on a baking sheet in your convection oven. I have never used one, so I don't know...
I guess it is up to everyone to judge for themselves but I could not agree with them less. Plus a lot of us do not have a convection oven. If we did, maybe we would feel differently. I don't know.

It is pretty interesting viewing the different opinions we have on so many small appliances. What one person can not live without another would not waste their time buying or using.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2018, 02:05 PM

20,813 posts, read 13,675,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
Well, oddly enough, that's exactly what I do to reheat pizza But I did say I've never used an air fryer, so I wasn't adding any comment other than mentioning that ATK didn't care for them. You can listen to the review on the latest Splendid Table podcast. But to that point, they said it's an awfully big piece of equipment to have on the counter just to reheat pizza. And it's too small to use for family sized meals, according to them.
I have a countertop convection oven, and I use it to reheat pizza all the time. I also use it to reheat chicken pieces.

I also make toast in it. And it does miscellaneous baking chores, as well.

Heats up in a flash.

Old 12-06-2018, 03:31 PM

8,983 posts, read 7,018,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

Now on a lighter note: what would our grandparents and great grandparents think if they were alive and spending time in the kitchen these days?

Dinner only took half an hour and the dishes are in the dishwasher. What the heck am I gonna do the rest of the day?

Old 12-06-2018, 05:37 PM

13,826 posts, read 18,878,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
McBain: do you have a Air Fryer?
Nope. Wouldn't waste the money. If I want to fry something, I'll use a wok and do it properly.

Quote:
If not do you think you can fairly remark about them?
Absolutely. Not only do I understand the mechanics behind how they work, I've used them and had food cooked in them.

Quote:
I would like to know, if they are so inferior as you say, why are they so popular?
Same reason box/can dinners are more popular than traditional home cooked meals; ease and cost. Proper frying at home requires more investment.

Old 12-06-2018, 06:02 PM

25,285 posts, read 32,277,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
LOL

Your posts on the dinner thread are what mainly got me intrigued. Bacon? You can cook bacon? I haven't eaten bacon in years because I hate cleaning up the spatter off the entire stovetop and adjoining counter and often the floor too.
Oh wow. I would never give up bacon. LOL. I cook it in the oven, or on the grill.

Old 12-07-2018, 02:40 PM

17,296 posts, read 20,488,767 times
I made wings in mine the other night and they were delicious and cooked quicker than the oven. Mind you I have only done chicken in my air fryer and Cold French fries that were left over from the night before which crisped up nicely. I plan to make a small meatloaf in mine next. It's a nice alternative to actually deep frying in oil, less messy, easy clean up, and if it's hot out and you don't want to use your oven it's good. Like I stated in another post had my co-worker not given me one of her extras I would not have gone out to buy one but I do enjoy using it on occasion.

Old 12-07-2018, 03:17 PM

3,803 posts, read 9,321,173 times
Iím a sucker for cooking gadgets and when Costco had a Philips air fryer on sale, I took the plunge. I should have read the reviews. This one is OK, but I could have gotten a larger one with higher wattage for the same price on Amazon. The other major disadvantage to this model is that it doesn't have an on/off button. It has a timer but if you're food is done before the timer is finished, you basically have to unplug it to stop it. They do take up a lot of space as well. I bought a little metal shelf to hold my Airfryer and both of my Instantpots.

I've loved everything Iíve cooked in it so far though. It takes half the time as a regular or toaster oven and far less oil and mess than stovetop frying. Not sorry I bought one, just this one!

Old 12-07-2018, 03:34 PM

12,717 posts, read 17,303,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
Pretty much how I feel. Theyíre gimmicks that donít adequately replace any tools in the kitchen and do an inferior job as compared to other methods.
Sorry, mine has toaster, convection and air fryer in one. Big enough for full sized pizza or a loaf of bread.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:06 PM

20,326 posts, read 11,132,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Preheat a convection oven to reheat a slice of pizza?
As opposed to what other method of reheating it? Convection or not, you still have to preheat an oven.

When my son and I get pizza, I always get a whole pie - the place we go has really large pies, so one piece is enough for a meal. I freeze the leftovers individually wrapped in foil and pop into my counter top convection oven and they come out great.

I use it as much or more than my full size oven because it takes so much less time. Today I made some boneless chicken thighs and baked potatoes - all perfectly and deliciously cooked in 24 minutes (potatoes started in the microwave and then finished in the convection oven come out great!) That's why I started to buy an air fryer and then canceled the order - I don't think it would give me a whole lot more functionality than my Breville Counter Top convection oven.

Old 12-09-2018, 06:11 AM

70,859 posts, read 82,120,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I made wings in mine the other night and they were delicious and cooked quicker than the oven. Mind you I have only done chicken in my air fryer and Cold French fries that were left over from the night before which crisped up nicely. I plan to make a small meatloaf in mine next. It's a nice alternative to actually deep frying in oil, less messy, easy clean up, and if it's hot out and you don't want to use your oven it's good. Like I stated in another post had my co-worker not given me one of her extras I would not have gone out to buy one but I do enjoy using it on occasion.
Love wings in mine. Yesterday I did both sausage links and potatoes at the same time for breakfast Never made breakfast so fast. Then I went to Walmart to shop for baking goods. I wandered through housewares dept. It looks like the hottest, trendy products this year are air fryers and multi pots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink