Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 10:15 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
The last thing I need is one more kitchen device, but I've heard so much good about air fryers I've been thinking about buying one but would like to hear any negatives too before I invest.

Is there anyone out there who hates their air fryer? Why? Badly cooked food? Hard to clean?
well I do not fit into the "hate" group as all. They are very easy to clean, and can replace a few other appliances. On my counter top all I have is my air fryer, toaster oven and coffee pot. Those are the only 3 things I used constantly, followed by a crock pot. We do not even use our skillets that much except for week end breakfast. In fact for Christmas I think I am getting one of the new multi pots which should really cut back on how much I will be using by stove.

As for bad food in the Air fryer, yes, we have had a few disasters like green beans and broccoli but it does a great job on cauliflower. And yes it takes getting used to. At first we had trouble getting things browned enough. We jut made some adjustments to some of the recipes. there is one minor problem and that is the chipping of the non stick finish. Someone mentioned chipping and yes, if not washed and dried properly this can be a problem but mine is 2 years old and just a few places have any chipping.

Last edited by nmnita; 11-14-2018 at 10:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
I had an "airfryer" back in the early 90's ~ it was such a disaster that I would Never consider such a gimick again. Poorly cooked food, impossible to clean (oil gets places that can't be reached, on parts that can't be washed) ~ maybe the design has changed, but I've not found a "miracle device" yet that actually lives up to the hype. This from the perspective of a very active home cook....

Funny thing about confirmation bias, everyone hates being wrong or to look foolish. So, whenever someone spends money on something, of COURSE it's going to be the best thing since sliced bread. Unless you're conscious of this natural tendency, it's easy to not even see it happening.
NOV3, nothing taste like plastic in it. We do both frozen and fresh cut fries, usually about once a week. They are crisp and very tasty. As for chefs not using air fryer, how many chefs have you talked to about this?

I totally disagree with that statement. I think most of us have purchased kitchen appliances and later regretted it. Most of us are honest enough to warn others about our mistakes. What you purchased 20 plus years ago is very improved today. BTW the news ones are very easy to clean and they get in all corners. What are you talking about, OIL? they use no or almost no oil. Most of what we cook in ours we simply use a little spray.

Old 11-14-2018, 02:09 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,642,872 times
Never wanted one. My electric oven has a convection feature. I use it for reheating pizza, cooking hamburger patties, etc.

Also have a Breville toaster oven with convection which I use all the time love it.

Old 11-14-2018, 02:33 PM

561 posts, read 323,993 times
I didn't hate my air fryer but honestly found it worthless. It didn't do anything my oven doesn't except take up counter space.

Old 11-14-2018, 02:53 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post

And of course we have the pendantic complaint that "air" cannot fry anything.
No, not pedantic. Words have meanings.

Frying is cooking food by direct contact with hot oil. No oil? Not frying.

If you don't want words to have meaning then you end up behind the looking glass (or in the Marketeering Department.

Old 11-14-2018, 07:08 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,494,440 times
I hate my air fryer

Old 11-14-2018, 07:22 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
No, not pedantic. Words have meanings.

Frying is cooking food by direct contact with hot oil. No oil? Not frying.

If you don't want words to have meaning then you end up behind the looking glass (or in the Marketeering Department.
Sometime using the generally understood term communicates well. Sure an air fryer does not really fry. But most of us understand what an air fryer is. Words are tools; they are used to communicate. Using the term air fryer communicates accurately to the majority of home cooks who post here. Calling it another thing would hinder understanding.

There are places for pedantry, but this is not one of them.

Old 11-15-2018, 02:19 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
If Air fryers are so great, the restaurants would've switched to them decades ago as they've been around for a long time. The problem is that food simply tastes better when it's fried in the right oil and temps. If you do french fries, it taste a lot better deep fried in peanut oil than other veg oil. When you use air to fry the french fries doesn't have a crunchy taste. It only tastes crispy on the outside but doesn't have a crunchy taste because the air fryers dry out the crust leaving it crispy but lacks the crunchy bite most people like.

Also air fried food doesn't sit very well because it uses less oil, the food becomes dry and hard if left out for awhile vs regular oil fried which tends to become soggy but doesn't dry out.

Old 11-15-2018, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcahacker View Post
I didn't hate my air fryer but honestly found it worthless. It didn't do anything my oven doesn't except take up counter space.
Well for some this is true but you still use less fat unless you want your foods to be on the dry side and it is a lot easier to clean than an over even our self cleaning overs; or at least for me this is true, plus using less electricity. I don't use my over except for baking more than once a month anymore.

vision33: have you used an air fryer? I know a lot of people feel the way you do that have not had one. The food, if heated correctly is anything but dry. That is the advantage: most foods come out moist and nice using less oil, As for restaurants using or not using them, that is a different story altogether. As for them being around for a long time. Most of us are talking about the air fryer of today which seems to be perfected from those years ago. Like the micro wave: I remember our first one, back in the 70s, compared now.

I do think it is safe to say, air fryers are not for everyone, but I still love the idea of having tasty food, that cooks quickly and is a bit healthier than sitting in oil or grease. I will add, as I have said, nothing is perfect. This goes for air fryers

Last edited by nmnita; 11-15-2018 at 05:57 AM..

Old 11-15-2018, 11:28 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,484,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
I hate my air fryer

Care to elaborate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink