Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 11:16 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,041,968 times

Advertisements

Add Ming Tsai to the list of celebrity endorsements. Saw his pitch on one of the shopping channels and purchased it.

My only issue is that it is too small for a whole chicken. Most birds are too high and either touch the element or burn on top. Not a huge issue as I can use parts and I'm not cooking for more than 2 of us. If I need to my oven is a convection unit. The advantages of this unit are that it is compact, saves electricity, works very well and as it uses that new copper material is really easy to clean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2018, 11:32 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
LOL

Your posts on the dinner thread are what mainly got me intrigued. Bacon? You can cook bacon? I haven't eaten bacon in years because I hate cleaning up the spatter off the entire stovetop and adjoining counter and often the floor too.
I put bacon in a pan with a glass lid on low and let it cook slowly. No splatter. Cooking on low means I don't have to attend to it much to keep it 'flat'. I take off the lid one time to turn the pieces one time only. It takes a while to cook the first side, which is fine with me as I am doing other things. The other side finishes quickly, which also makes it easy to time with other things being ready.

Old 11-18-2018, 07:55 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
When I cook bacon, I soray a broiler pan and grill with Pam, add a little water to the bottom, and place the strips on the grill. I bake at 375 deg. It takes roughly 20 minutes. If I need it faster, I’ll increase the temp to 400 deg and have it quicker. But the edges will be quite brown.

I don’t do this often, but when I do, it works great. I do agree that this is not ideal for two or so slices. If I want two slices, I’d use the micro. Paper towell laid over a pad of newsprint. But I can’t remember how long I cook it for.

Old 11-20-2018, 08:34 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
I don’t see how the air fryers are any different than a Nuwave or Flavo-Wave. When you open them up they both have a fan and heating element in the top. At least with the Nuwave you can see inside while it’s cooking.

Old 11-20-2018, 10:22 AM

19,208 posts, read 16,689,350 times
I don't hate my air fryer. I've used it to make several foods but what I like most is that it's economical for me to use that instead of heating up the big stove.

Old 11-20-2018, 10:59 AM

24,525 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Bacon - got a 100 piece precooked at the local restaurant supply.

Made wraps with flour tortillas, sliced ham, pepper jack and jalapeno rings. 3 minutes in the air fryer. Perfect sandwiches with no crumbs.

Old 11-20-2018, 01:33 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
I am waiting for a smallish convection oven/air fryer to come out. So far, the Cuisinart and the other brand are too big for the space I have. When I find it, I’ll buy it unless it gets horrible reviews. Right now, I have a smallish Cuisinart convection oven that I use practcally every day. It is starting to look a little ratty, even with periodic deep cleaning. I’d love to have the option to air fry.

Old 11-20-2018, 07:43 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,780,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I don’t see how the air fryers are any different than a Nuwave or Flavo-Wave. When you open them up they both have a fan and heating element in the top. At least with the Nuwave you can see inside while it’s cooking.
The clear glass/plastic types use more energy due to heat loss. The ones you can't see through have thick wall to keep the heat in.

I think someone here asked about the taste. To me, the taste is more grilled than fried.

Old 11-21-2018, 05:48 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
It may not be that much different but for someone who has neither the air fryer is a bit more economical and what difference does it make if you can see inside of not? the timing is going to be similar whether you can see the product or not.

Old 11-21-2018, 06:16 AM

24,525 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Quote:
Mine has a glas door and inside ligh.

I made extra pecan pan cakes Sunday. From fridge to plate including bacon - 3 minutes and SO had a big grin on his face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink