U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 01:21 PM

1,090 posts, read 609,415 times

Advertisements

I have a small 1.2 qt air fryer. Black Friday $5 after rebate. There has to be some advantage for me to use this thing.

A strip of bacon would not fit unless folded up or cut up. Just no advantage there for bacon. Bacon is one of the best things a microwave can do. I'm not even going to try bacon.

My vision purpose for this thing was frozen french fries. I'm pretty happy with how I make them in a skillet. First try in the air fryer was awful. Did them dry. 20 minutes was too long. 2nd try, spray 'em with olive oil, shook some Greek seasoning on them, Cooked 15 minutes. Much better, I think the perfect time is gonna be a little less than 15 minutes. I think It's gonna work for french fries. It requires less attention than the skillet.

The directions for french frys from scratch call for 2 stages of cooking, blanch first, than a final cook. That has crossed the line in to too much trouble.

That's all I've done so far. DW cooks dinner but I make a lot of snacks or mid day meals for myself. It might make enough frys for 2.

We sometimes have leftover fried chicken from a restaurant or a bucket from the grocery store. By the time we reheat it the coating has lost it's crispy texture. I'm thinking the air fryers tendency to dry things out may be perfect for reheating
fried chicken. I'm gonna try it.

I'll probable try a brat or hot dog in it at some point.

This small 1.2 qt is small enough to put away somewhere convenient. We have too many always out counter top appliances already. There is not space for a family sized air fryer.

It's not gonna replace our oven, stove top, skillets, steamer, crock pot, or pressure cooker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 01:29 PM

10,452 posts, read 16,890,517 times
To me, microwaved bacon isnít even worth the calories! Such a weird texture.

1.2 qt sounds so tiny I donít know what you can make in there...

Old 11-26-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
To me, microwaved bacon isnít even worth the calories! Such a weird texture.

1.2 qt sounds so tiny I donít know what you can make in there...
I find the texture of microwaved bacon to be only a little different than fried. Not better not worse, not weird, just an acceptable variation. And it's so fast and easy.

Sometimes I fry bacon and than fry an egg in the grease.

Snacks for one person at a time. This one has a square container so things fit better. I didn't want the small round ones. For more quantity we have a real kitchen.

I am presently trying to make a hard boiled egg in the air fryer. I know it ain't really boiled.

Old 11-26-2018, 02:26 PM

185,520 posts, read 75,331,559 times
8 wish mine did more than 6 wings at a time but I don’t hate it. Most of the time that is enough for an appetizer as no one eat’s hot wings but me. I am getting an air fryer basket for the convection oven to air fry larger batches.

Old 11-26-2018, 02:27 PM

19,276 posts, read 10,335,537 times
I just ordered one on a Cyber Monday deal. Looking forward to using it as pretty much everyone I know who has one loves it.

Old 11-26-2018, 03:46 PM

19,364 posts, read 12,787,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post
I have a small 1.2 qt air fryer. Black Friday $5 after rebate. There has to be some advantage for me to use this thing.

A strip of bacon would not fit unless folded up or cut up. Just no advantage there for bacon. Bacon is one of the best things a microwave can do. I'm not even going to try bacon.

My vision purpose for this thing was frozen french fries. I'm pretty happy with how I make them in a skillet. First try in the air fryer was awful. Did them dry. 20 minutes was too long. 2nd try, spray 'em with olive oil, shook some Greek seasoning on them, Cooked 15 minutes. Much better, I think the perfect time is gonna be a little less than 15 minutes. I think It's gonna work for french fries. It requires less attention than the skillet.

The directions for french frys from scratch call for 2 stages of cooking, blanch first, than a final cook. That has crossed the line in to too much trouble.

That's all I've done so far. DW cooks dinner but I make a lot of snacks or mid day meals for myself. It might make enough frys for 2.

We sometimes have leftover fried chicken from a restaurant or a bucket from the grocery store. By the time we reheat it the coating has lost it's crispy texture. I'm thinking the air fryers tendency to dry things out may be perfect for reheating

This small 1.2 qt is small enough to put away somewhere convenient. We have too many always out counter top appliances already. There is not space for a family sized air fryer.

It's not gonna replace our oven, stove top, skillets, steamer, crock pot, or pressure cooker.
I do not make French fries at home. But I thought that blanching in boiling water was SOP for good fries.

On reheating fried chicken, or day old pizza—I think the air fryer might indeed work well. As I understand this, air fryers are small, powerful convection ovens. My counter top convection oven reheats pizza and broiled chicken breasts very well. It is what we use instead of the micro. I think it would be great for cold fried chicken.

You might keep us posted about your experiences with the air fryer.

Old 11-26-2018, 04:02 PM

19,276 posts, read 10,335,537 times
And now I'm back on the fence.

https://www.wired.com/story/air-fryers/

I have a counter top convection oven, and it does a good job - and I think realistically speaking, I can use it to cook anything that I would use the air fryer for. It sounds like maybe it takes a few extra minutes but that's not really a good enough reason to add another small appliance.

So I just canceled the order and I think I'll just stick with what I have. For now, anyway. At some point, when my counter top oven or my Instant Pot needs to be replaced, maybe I will get one of the newer versions that include an air fryer function.

Old 11-26-2018, 04:04 PM

19,364 posts, read 12,787,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
And now I'm back on the fence.

https://www.wired.com/story/air-fryers/

I have a counter top convection oven, and it does a good job - and I think realistically speaking, I can use it to cook anything that I would use the air fryer for. It sounds like maybe it takes a few extra minutes but that's not really a good enough reason to add another small appliance.

So I just canceled the order and I think I'll just stick with what I have. For now, anyway. At some point, when my counter top oven or my Instant Pot needs to be replaced, maybe I will get one of the newer versions that include an air fryer function.
Thatís what I have decided. But if they come out with an oven/air fryer unit that is small enough to fit the space I have for it, Iíll jump on it.

Old 11-26-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I do not make French fries at home. But I thought that blanching in boiling water was SOP for good fries.

On reheating fried chicken, or day old pizzaóI think the air fryer might indeed work well. As I understand this, air fryers are small, powerful convection ovens. My counter top convection oven reheats pizza and broiled chicken breasts very well. It is what we use instead of the micro. I think it would be great for cold fried chicken.

You might keep us posted about your experiences with the air fryer.
55 years ago I worked at a fast food place when they pealed & cut up real potatoes. They had a potato pealer machine which just tumbled them around in a rotating abrasive drum, than somebody had the tedious boring job of going over a big sink full of potatoes with a knife to get what the drum missed. They blanched them in oil and kept them in the fry baskets in a walk in cooler until they were finish deep fried for use. As near as I can tell the ones they serve today taste the same as when they did them the old way.

The air fryer hard cooked egg was hard to peal. I don't do them often enough to be expert at it, but the last one I did that was easy to peal was boiled with some vinegar in the water. I researched it online, there were several things to do to make a easily pealed egg, seemed to me it was the vinegar that worked.

Old 11-27-2018, 06:38 AM

69,797 posts, read 80,210,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post

We have removed almost all our counter top appliances except the coffee pot, toaster oven and yes, our air fryer. I would have no use for one as small as yours.To me, that would be a waste of space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink