U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 10:08 AM

94 posts, read 7,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post
The directions for french frys from scratch call for 2 stages of cooking, blanch first, than a final cook.
That has crossed the line in to too much trouble.
Blanching is not needed for french fries.

As you cut your (Russet) potatoes into fries, place them cold salted water. This prevents them from turning black.
Once you have all your potatoes cut, preheat your air fryer. While your air fryer heats up, you prep your shake bag(s).

** 1-2 TBS of (Olive) oil and your favorite seasoning(s).

Once heated, drain/rinse potatoes, place in shake bag(s) & shake.
Remove fries from bag(s), let access oil drip off, place in fryer. They take about "10-20" minutes to cook based on size & quantity. Make sure to rotate/flip/shake half way through cooking time.

Quote:
I'll probable try a brat or hot dog in it at some point.
They come out pretty good, frozen or defrosted (raw).

preheat, cook brat
frozen: 15-20 minutes [flip halfway through]
defrosted (raw): 10-15 minutes [flip halfway through]

preheat, cook hot dog
frozen: 10-15 minutes [flip halfway through]
defrosted (raw): 10 minutes [flip halfway through]

They do split, and get crispy. But I never had one explode like microwave dogs.

I've had my 5.3 QT Airfryer for over two years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 10:14 AM

12,006 posts, read 16,695,562 times
Johnd - it sounds like your air fryer is too small and does not have enough power.

As Hawk already posted - there is no need to blanch potatoes. I oil and season them in the bowl the soaked in. If you swoosh them around a bit it roughens up the surface and makes them more crispy.

Old 11-28-2018, 03:04 PM

1,092 posts, read 610,495 times
The blanching idea is from the included directions.
I hate extra steps.
Preheat time is just gonna be considered part of the to cook time.

Brats come out wonderful. I don't see a need to turn them, They are cooking pretty evenly. I think I did 15 minutes for 2 and the internal temperature was 200 degrees. I eventually figure out the right time to get them to about 165. So far none have split. Trying to cover them with parchment paper to contain the grease splatter almost started a fire.

We're just gonna do frozen fries, unless the missing cutter blade for our french fry cutter shows up.
The fries need some oil. I got some spray olive oil. I'll try a bag shake method of oiling them, but I think a quick spray is easier.

I've made fries in a skillet but they were really just fry shaped fried potatoes. I like fried potatoes.

Power is 1200 watts, nearly as much as the bigger ones

Old 11-28-2018, 03:16 PM

680 posts, read 356,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I have no comment on the air fryer, but all you have to do is bake bacon on a cookie sheet. Lay each piece out flat and not overlapping on the sheet. You start it in a cold oven, and it takes somewhere between 18 - 25 minutes on 400, depending how crispy you like it.
We put ours on a silicon sheet on a jelly roll pan and cook at 350, which also takes about 18-25 minutes. Then we remove each piece to a paper towel covered tray. We drain the bacon fat into a crock and refrigerate. We use that to season cast iron, among other uses.

What bacon we didn't eat goes into the freezer.

We only bake bacon about once a month.

The Air Fryer is sounding interesting. Wish we had the space for another small appliance.

Old 11-28-2018, 03:25 PM

10,482 posts, read 16,900,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkay66 View Post
We put ours on a silicon sheet on a jelly roll pan and cook at 350, which also takes about 18-25 minutes. Then we remove each piece to a paper towel covered tray. We drain the bacon fat into a crock and refrigerate. We use that to season cast iron, among other uses.

What bacon we didn't eat goes into the freezer.

We only bake bacon about once a month.

The Air Fryer is sounding interesting. Wish we had the space for another small appliance.
Then our method is the same. I think what I'm calling a cookie sheet, you call a jelly roll pan.

I love baked bacon.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:04 AM

680 posts, read 356,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I think what I'm calling a cookie sheet, you call a jelly roll pan.
Maybe. This is what I call a cookie sheet:
https://www.amazon.com/AirBake-Natur...SIN=B001OR9PNQ

But this is what I call a jelly roll pan:
https://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Ware-N...SIN=B00INRW7GC

The former just won't work for baking bacon. Excellent for cookies, though...

Old 11-29-2018, 10:58 AM

12,006 posts, read 16,695,562 times
Quote:
The blanching idea is from the included directions.
I hate extra steps.
Preheat time is just gonna be considered part of the to cook time.

Brats come out wonderful. I don't see a need to turn them, They are cooking pretty evenly. I think I did 15 minutes for 2 and the internal temperature was 200 degrees. I eventually figure out the right time to get them to about 165. So far none have split. Trying to cover them with parchment paper to contain the grease splatter almost started a fire.

We're just gonna do frozen fries, unless the missing cutter blade for our french fry cutter shows up.
The fries need some oil. I got some spray olive oil. I'll try a bag shake method of oiling them, but I think a quick spray is easier.

I've made fries in a skillet but they were really just fry shaped fried potatoes. I like fried potatoes.

Power is 1200 watts, nearly as much as the bigger ones
??? I do not preheat and use no oil on pre-fab fries.

Old 11-29-2018, 11:48 AM

69,827 posts, read 80,248,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Johnd - it sounds like your air fryer is too small and does not have enough power.

As Hawk already posted - there is no need to blanch potatoes. I oil and season them in the bowl the soaked in. If you swoosh them around a bit it roughens up the surface and makes them more crispy.
exactly how we do them

Old 11-29-2018, 04:50 PM

10,482 posts, read 16,900,971 times
Quote:

Yes, I don't have any of the "real" flat cookie sheets, just the jelly roll pans with sides, which I use for everything.

Old 11-30-2018, 02:40 PM

94 posts, read 7,381 times
Quote:

The first looks more like a prep sheet for making pies. The "jelly roll" pan is really a baking/cookie sheet. It is the most used design used is bakeries and homes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
??? I do not preheat and use no oil on pre-fab fries.
You pre-heat a cold air fryer. Store bought pre-fab fries do not need oil. They have received oil during the manufacturing process.

If I was cooking my "pre-fab" fries with my 5-3 QT 1700 Watt air fryer here's my steps.
If Air fryer is cold (hasn't been used)

Preheat 5 minutes, 350 degrees on Fries Setting.

Once heated add fries about 2/3 full leaving air flow room.

Cook 20 minutes, 350 degrees on Fries Setting [10 minutes into cook time shake/flip fries]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink