Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 11:49 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,420,799 times

Advertisements

The last thing I need is one more kitchen device, but I've heard so much good about air fryers I've been thinking about buying one but would like to hear any negatives too before I invest.

Is there anyone out there who hates their air fryer? Why? Badly cooked food? Hard to clean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 01:15 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,172,283 times
No such thing.

If it's frying it uses hot oil to cook. That's the definition of frying.

What you are talking about is a high powered convection oven.

Old 11-13-2018, 06:09 PM

19,959 posts, read 30,016,584 times
I use mine 5-7 times per week I cooked a steak in mine tonight ….
ive cooked bacon, turkey pork, eggs wings chicken thighs turkey thighs even a lobster

its essentially a broiler with the element on top...… I like mine because its quick easy and very easy clean up...also I use to use the oven a lot with tinfoil....and now im reading tinfoil will kill you.... I can use this with no foil.... and it was only 49 dollars at Walmart..

I got a new instapot too.... todays pressure cooker - the air fryer is dry heat...this is meant for moist... cooking.....for roasts, stew pulled pork ..this was 49 dollars at Walmart too I like it and use them both

Last edited by mainebrokerman; 11-13-2018 at 06:27 PM..

Old 11-13-2018, 06:17 PM

7,206 posts, read 4,475,713 times
I love mine. I make everything in it.

I don't find it hard to clean. I just put the bottom section in the dishwasher. I find it is an easy cook once you find the right time. Even cooking. Which I don't find with other things where you might get a stubborn patch that doesn't cook.

Old 11-13-2018, 06:24 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,420,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
air fryer airfryer airfryer airfryer

allll we are saaaaying is give (an airfryer ) a chance
LOL

Your posts on the dinner thread are what mainly got me intrigued. Bacon? You can cook bacon? I haven't eaten bacon in years because I hate cleaning up the spatter off the entire stovetop and adjoining counter and often the floor too.

Old 11-13-2018, 07:00 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,347,349 times
I had an "airfryer" back in the early 90's ~ it was such a disaster that I would Never consider such a gimick again. Poorly cooked food, impossible to clean (oil gets places that can't be reached, on parts that can't be washed) ~ maybe the design has changed, but I've not found a "miracle device" yet that actually lives up to the hype. This from the perspective of a very active home cook....

Funny thing about confirmation bias, everyone hates being wrong or to look foolish. So, whenever someone spends money on something, of COURSE it's going to be the best thing since sliced bread. Unless you're conscious of this natural tendency, it's easy to not even see it happening.

Old 11-13-2018, 07:30 PM

19,959 posts, read 30,016,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
LOL

Your posts on the dinner thread are what mainly got me intrigued. Bacon? You can cook bacon? I haven't eaten bacon in years because I hate cleaning up the spatter off the entire stovetop and adjoining counter and often the floor too.
yes cooks bacon great!! no splatter!!

the clean up is what I love...I cook for myself...tho I do like leftovers...… when you cook for yourself or two …. lots of food you shy away from cooking because of the mess.... or if you have little time to cook..... the air fryer is very practical..in both these areas

I also cooked fish fillets a couple nights ago and it cooked it well..

Old 11-13-2018, 07:51 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,390,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
LOL

I have no comment on the air fryer, but all you have to do is bake bacon on a cookie sheet. Lay each piece out flat and not overlapping on the sheet. You start it in a cold oven, and it takes somewhere between 18 - 25 minutes on 400, depending how crispy you like it.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:00 PM

20,835 posts, read 28,159,703 times
I have one, My co-worker gave me an extra. It's an older model maybe 2 years old. I made bone in chicken thighs tonight and they were juicy and the skin was crispy (almost as if I grilled them on the BBQ) last week I made chicken legs. I marinated them in lemon, garlic and honey. I have only had mine 1 month. I plan to make a small meatloaf in it next time. BTW the chicken took 20 minutes to cook on 350 degrees. Easy clean up too. If my friend did not give me one of her extras (she has 2 others) I wouldn't buy one because I don't have counter pace. I keep it in my spare closet and take it out when I need to. You use very little oil and no need to on meats, maybe veggies and fish but 2 tsp. oil is plenty.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:24 PM

8,874 posts, read 11,656,049 times
I have had several over the years. The non stick coatings on all flaked off after about six months of use. Other than that, they are easy to use and clean. Large pieces of foods such as chicken breast, fish fillet, etc. need to be turned over half way through for best result.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink