Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2018, 06:17 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
Nope. Wouldn't waste the money. If I want to fry something, I'll use a wok and do it properly.

Absolutely. Not only do I understand the mechanics behind how they work, I've used them and had food cooked in them.

Same reason box/can dinners are more popular than traditional home cooked meals; ease and cost. Proper frying at home requires more investment.
Now, if you do not have one when would you have had an opportunity to use one? That is pretty interesting? I don't think I need to be told about proper cooking. My degree is in foods and nutrition. Have a good Sunday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2018, 06:52 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
Well, my husband and I finally took that huge air fryer off our kitchen counter top and replaced it with a nice toaster oven thingie. We hated the toast that you "could" make in the air fryer, it took up tons of space, and we never used it for anything other than toast, after trying a few less than inspiring recipes when we first got it.

I don't know why we bought it - we don't generally fry anything anyway - so why would we fry something with air?

Old 12-09-2018, 07:23 AM

24,470 posts, read 10,793,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I made wings in mine the other night and they were delicious and cooked quicker than the oven. Mind you I have only done chicken in my air fryer and Cold French fries that were left over from the night before which crisped up nicely. I plan to make a small meatloaf in mine next. It's a nice alternative to actually deep frying in oil, less messy, easy clean up, and if it's hot out and you don't want to use your oven it's good. Like I stated in another post had my co-worker not given me one of her extras I would not have gone out to buy one but I do enjoy using it on occasion.
The meat loaf will come out nicely. I make small ones and give them a dent in the top. Have you tried wrapping them in bacon stretched over a knife back first? If your fryer is big enough you can make the potatoes at the same time. Otherwise have your potatoes almost done and finish them while the meat is resting for a minute.

Old 12-09-2018, 12:31 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,773,391 times
Just roasted some peanuts. Five minutes in the air fryers and now I am eating some delicious roasted peanuts.

Old 12-10-2018, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, my husband and I finally took that huge air fryer off our kitchen counter top and replaced it with a nice toaster oven thingie. We hated the toast that you "could" make in the air fryer, it took up tons of space, and we never used it for anything other than toast, after trying a few less than inspiring recipes when we first got it.

I don't know why we bought it - we don't generally fry anything anyway - so why would we fry something with air?
Never considered doing toast in mine. In fact never heard of this. I guess we learn something everyday. i use my toaster oven for toast. In fact about all we have on our counter is my most frequently used cook books, my toaster oven, our air fryer and coffee pot. I think, after they finish our new kitchen floors and the holidays are over I may even remove the air fryer even though we do use ours almost daily. if I don't remove the air fryer I will the cook books.

Sorry you didn't like your air fryer but at least you gave it a try before judging if they are a good product for you or not. Nothing works for everyone.

Old 12-10-2018, 06:32 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Never considered doing toast in mine. In fact never heard of this. I guess we learn something everyday. i use my toaster oven for toast. In fact about all we have on our counter is my most frequently used cook books, my toaster oven, our air fryer and coffee pot. I think, after they finish our new kitchen floors and the holidays are over I may even remove the air fryer even though we do use ours almost daily. if I don't remove the air fryer I will the cook books.

Sorry you didn't like your air fryer but at least you gave it a try before judging if they are a good product for you or not. Nothing works for everyone.
This is true. We didn't have room for both out on our counter tops (air fryer and toaster oven) because we also have a bread box and a coffee maker and some canisters - oh, and a blender! - out. So something had to go.

Our air fryer specifically stated that it would do toast as well as the air fryer thing, and that's one reason we bought it - we wouldn't have to put it out on the counter IN ADDITION TO other appliances. I mean, it made OK toast but the toaster oven works better.

I wanted it to work - I just forgot that I didn't really ever fry anything anyway, and as for other stuff, I like the way it all tastes made in other ways that I was already doing, and it's no less healthy those other ways.

But I'm sure that lots of people do love preparing food in their air fryers and more power to 'em. The concept is especially good if people fry stuff on a regular basis in grease.

Old 12-10-2018, 09:43 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,483,367 times
Does no one else use a toaster for toast?

I recall trying it in a toaster oven I had years ago and it came out too moist. The outside was toasted but it wasn't crisp.

Old 12-10-2018, 09:47 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,188,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post

I recall trying it in a toaster oven I had years ago and it came out too moist. The outside was toasted but it wasn't crisp.
I can't justify the counter space for a toaster, when my toaster/convection oven has so much more functionality. IMO, the toast from a toaster oven is ok, it just takes a longer time than a toaster where the heating elements are right up against the bread.

Old 12-10-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
This is true. We didn't have room for both out on our counter tops (air fryer and toaster oven) because we also have a bread box and a coffee maker and some canisters - oh, and a blender! - out. So something had to go.

Our air fryer specifically stated that it would do toast as well as the air fryer thing, and that's one reason we bought it - we wouldn't have to put it out on the counter IN ADDITION TO other appliances. I mean, it made OK toast but the toaster oven works better.

I wanted it to work - I just forgot that I didn't really ever fry anything anyway, and as for other stuff, I like the way it all tastes made in other ways that I was already doing, and it's no less healthy those other ways.

But I'm sure that lots of people do love preparing food in their air fryers and more power to 'em. The concept is especially good if people fry stuff on a regular basis in grease.
Know what you mean; we moved our canisters to a cupboard, I am going to move my paper towel holder that holds our cook books and that will give me plenty of room for our new air fryer or multi cooker if I get it for Christmas. In fact I am re-doing all my cabinets etc as we are getting new floors starting next week so good time to re-think things. I have a lot of stuff to just get rid of: too many serving bowls, too many casserole dishes and too much clutter period.

Old 12-10-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post

Haven't had a toaster for maybe 20 years or more, but my dad always used one. I don't think they ever had a toaster oven. I know they never used their micro and I am not sure they used their slow cooker. Dad hated the food processor. He preferred to do his own cutting, dicing or whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink