U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 07:14 PM

17,486 posts, read 20,952,697 times

Advertisements

I want to make a roast beef in the oven and slice it with my electric slicer after it's cooked. What's the best cut? I don't want a cheap cut of meat. I am willing to spend some $$$ if it means getting a delicious tender slice of beef.

Old 11-13-2018, 10:54 PM

13,398 posts, read 21,959,492 times
Best, most tender cut for roast beef is prime rib. Lots of grocers are cutting the price for the holidays, and we will definitely be picking one up. Another cut is eye of round - it isn't as tender and flavorful, but it is still palatable and very easy to slice with your electric slicer.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:16 PM

18,367 posts, read 23,547,048 times
top three Christmas roast special orders are......rib eye roast...boneless or bone in.. (also called prime rib even if grade isn't prime ) .. these will be on sale ...watch for the flyers..

tenderloin roast(filet mignon) is also popular....pricey but as tender as you can get.

the sirloin strip roast some areas these almost sell as well as a rib roast.... but for less..

another popular roast is called a sirloin or spoon roast..... its from the top butt (not strip)sirloin and this will be around 3.99-5.99lb

all these premium roasts are dry cooked..... in oven.. the secret to these roasts is not over-cooking .. ..

a chuck or round roast ….will usually be moist cooked because it is leaner/tougher ..
with the exception of the eye round/top round roast …. these can be cooked to temp /medium rare and sliced thinly....(dry heat) . but they also can be cooked in a slow cooker...they swing both ways
beware the "sirloin tip" roast......which usually comes from the knuckle (round...it is lean and tough) despite its sirloin name

if you do buy a bone in rib eye roast....also known as standing rib roast or prime rib....ask them to "bone and tie" they will cut off the bone and tie it back on for free.....when its done cooking....you cut the strings and start slicing.... much much easier

Old 11-14-2018, 10:35 AM

72,027 posts, read 83,688,530 times
Of course to me, there is nothing like a good prime rib roast. They are always tender and usually very flavorful. We also like tenderloin but don't think they have the really wonderful flavor, they are just very tender. I imagine that is why they are called tenderloin.

mainbrokerman mentioned sirloin roast is a popular one. In fact it was my dad's favorite roast to use unless he was preparing the roast for a very special dinner when he would splurge for Prime rib.

Old 11-15-2018, 04:23 AM

1,228 posts, read 308,024 times
For roast beef used in sandwiches, I liked the beef knuckle I did on the rotisserie over hardwood charcoal. For a roast beef done in the oven or on the BGE, standing rib roast. When we do roasts in the oven, I use this method:

Preheat oven to 500F. Place room temperature, seasoned roast in a rack in a roasting pan.
Place in the oven, middle rack and cook for 5 minutes. Lower oven temperature to 200F and cook for 1 hour per pound. No matter what type of beef roast, it always comes out rare the way I like it.

Old 11-15-2018, 06:02 AM

37,143 posts, read 45,675,592 times
If you are making a buffet, then I’d go with a rare tenderloin, served at room temp with baguette slices.
If you’re having a sit down, you can get the prime rib, boned and rolled, and this will be easy to slice.

Old 11-15-2018, 03:37 PM

I do a prime rib bone every year around New Years and will still do that this year. Is there a such thing as Silver tip? I had that at a friends and it was delicious. BTW the roast beef is not for a crowd it's for 2 of us and to maybe use leftovers for sandwiches I will be doing in this in the oven. I do not want it like Pot roast because my DH says it's dry. Medium rare for us.

Old 11-17-2018, 01:52 PM

22,710 posts, read 28,770,848 times
And to be used for what? A slice of roast beef dinner, perhaps with a baked potato? Then you want a standing rib roast ( prime rib), or else a boneless New York Strip roast, which is the larger half of a T bone steak. It is tender with less fat than the standing rib roast. It's also smaller.

Do not buy a cross rib roast. That's for pot roast and occassionally fools someone because it says rib roast on it. It's not the same cut as a standing rib roast

If you want a beef roast to make sandwiches out of, I have a different suggestion. Let us know if the beef is for anything different than a roast beef dinner.

Old 11-17-2018, 02:00 PM

I bought an eye round roast today. I will cook it in the oven as suggested. Standing Rib roasts I do every year and wanted something a bit different. I actually don't eat standing rib roasts or prime rib because they are too fatty. I am the only one in the family that likes a leaner cut of beef. However I don't mind it medium rare. Will slice this using my electric slicer.
I'll let you know how it turns out when I make it.

Old 11-17-2018, 02:31 PM

5,233 posts, read 3,642,696 times
The cheapest per pound and of a size that will fit in the crock pot, a can of mushroom or french onion(Cambells) some potatoes, onions and carrots. Fit for a king.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink