U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 09:37 AM

7,171 posts, read 3,839,588 times

Advertisements

And, more generally, what is your favorite brand of ice cream? I tried this for the obvious reasons (less fat and fewer calories) when it went on sale recently, and was quite disappointed. When I went to grab it out of the freezer, I wondered if I had experienced a power failure, because the carton was soft and squishy. No, that's just how Halo Top is! Seems more like "dairy-like dessert topping" full of air with some flavor added...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2018, 09:48 AM

8,874 posts, read 8,221,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
And, more generally, what is your favorite brand of ice cream? I tried this for the obvious reasons (less fat and fewer calories) when it went on sale recently, and was quite disappointed. When I went to grab it out of the freezer, I wondered if I had experienced a power failure, because the carton was soft and squishy. No, that's just how Halo Top is! Seems more like "dairy-like dessert topping" full of air with some flavor added...
I've tried Halo Tom "ice cream" three times, three different flavors. Rather than having its own distinct flavor, each of the three tasted more like whatever the Halo Top sweetening agent is. Never again.

My favorite ice cream brands are Haagen-Dazs and Graeter's.

Old 11-14-2018, 11:42 AM

15,050 posts, read 16,672,521 times
Well, Halo Top is a low calorie ice cream substitute. In order to be low calorie, the traditional ingredients of cream and sugar need to be substituted. What were you expecting?

Old 11-14-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Well, Halo Top is a low calorie ice cream substitute. In order to be low calorie, the traditional ingredients of cream and sugar need to be substituted. What were you expecting?
More... Halo Top. Whatever it is, it is HIGHLY aerated (full of air). I've read quite a few reviews online since posting this and, while many mention the taste, none has mentioned the texture, which is what I find most disturbing. I'm a Haagan-Daas and Graeter's fan myself, although I'm not too good to eat a store brand.

Old 11-14-2018, 11:48 AM

21,562 posts, read 22,836,028 times
Halo Top reminds me of the quote from The Good Place when Ted Danson's character, discussing frozen yogurt, comments that people like to take something great and ruin it a little so they can have more.

Old 11-14-2018, 11:50 AM

51,668 posts, read 50,911,081 times
I don't know why it was soft and squishy. Might be your freezer. I find it's hard as a rock and had to be softened.

I ate it briefly when I was watching sugar and had a hard time giving up ice cream. It's not that great, though. Has that fake-sweetener taste.

Old 11-14-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't know why it was soft and squishy. Might be your freezer. I find it's hard as a rock and had to be softened.

I ate it briefly when I was watching sugar and had a hard time giving up ice cream. It's not that great, though. Has that fake-sweetener taste.
I actually keep an ice cube frozen in my deep freeze, which I don't see every day, to assure me that power hasn't been interrupted since last time, thawing and then refreezing everything, and that's still an ice cube, so the freezer must be fine. It's definitely "lighter" than any other pint of ice cream and, in my case, soft.

Just seems like a lot to pay for air!

Old 11-14-2018, 11:54 AM

54,547 posts, read 38,523,989 times
When it first hit the market my local grocer sent out some coupons for a free pint or whatever their package size is. I forget what flavor I tried, my initial impression was not bad considering the calorie count but that didn't last, I thought it had an unpleasant after taste that would keep me from buying it.

Old 11-14-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
When it first hit the market my local grocer sent out some coupons for a free pint or whatever their package size is. I forget what flavor I tried, my initial impression was not bad considering the calorie count but that didn't last, I thought it had an unpleasant after taste that would keep me from buying it.
Pretty sure that's the "organic stevia leaves." Not a fan!

Old 11-14-2018, 12:04 PM

17,729 posts, read 21,905,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post

It's like flavored cool whip.

I'd prefer to indulge in "the real thing" once a month, than bother with fake diet ice cream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink