Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 08:26 PM

1,092 posts, read 832,129 times

Advertisements

We usually have the basic Thanksgiving fare. There will 30+ involved and a bunch of us cooking & bringing in food. This year, so far that we know of, it is:
Baked turkey & cornbread dressing & gravy
Deep fried turkey
Honey-baked ham
Mashed potatoes
Sweet potato casserole
Green bean casserole
Turnip greens/ham hock
Cream corn
Devilled eggs
Veggie/dip tray
Soinach dip
Cranberry sauce
Rolls
Whatever artsy craftsy foods the grandkids have seen on social media & TV that they want to fix
Veggie tray/dip
Coconut cake
Chocolate pie
Apple pie
Chess pie
Carrot cake
Brownies
Pretzel salad (?) a misnomer. Is really a cheesecake type filling on crushed pretzel crust, topped with jello & strawberies
Other last minute additions as we all get "wild hairs"
This is always WAY TOO MUCH food, but it happens because our holiday meals are potluck-ish affairs resulting in folks bringing anything they might be "family famous" for. And these are times my sons (46 & 44 years)request their favorites. They make their own way, ask nothing (except "Mama's diishes"), they are wonderful sons who have given me wonderful grandchildren. So - I/we cook! Wishing YOU ALL a safe, blessed & happy Thanksgiving. As screwed up as this country seems right now, it is still the best place on earth in which to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2018, 08:31 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
DH wanted to try something different, so the brine contains most of a bottle of whiskey, and the wood is soaked in the remainder.

Didn't even save any for the cook.
None? That never happens in my house. You want to cook with bourbon? Pour a tot in a glass first.

My condolences.

Old 11-21-2018, 08:50 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
Now that I’ve done the shopping here is my menu for the day.

Butternut squash soup - ala Wolfgang Puck recipe
Antipasto - salami,Gouda cheese, Brie with fig jam, olives, etc..
Lettuce - escarole, frisée, pear, pomegranate, celery, Belgian endive, shaved fennel
Roasted turkey - Silver Palate recipe
Giblet gravy - I also add lots of mushroom, my family loves mushroom.
Sausage and apple stuffing - Silver Palate recipe
Cranberry sauce - Silver Palate recipe
Baked city ham - ala Alton Brown recipe
Rapini - steamed, my family likes vegs to be plain
Asparagus - steamed
Carrots - steamed
Brussel Sprouts - steamed
Sweet potato casserole with pecans on top - food network recipe
Mashed potato and celeriac roots. White potato, non Russet type for low glycemic index
Green beans - steamed
Beet roots baked in balsamic vinegar.

Desserts

Pumpkin pie
Apple pie
Lemon meringue pie
Baked Apples with pecans - Trisha Yearwood recipe
Ice cream - old fashioned vanilla from Tillamook
Tea and coffee

I hope that’s enough to get us stuffed for the day, that’s for 5 people.

Old 11-21-2018, 09:47 PM

1,934 posts, read 1,080,849 times
Well the turkey is doing an over nighter in the brine. Which the main ingredient is a gallon of Modelo Negra beer.

Old 11-21-2018, 09:59 PM

5 posts, read 2,319 times
In keeping it small this year. Last year we had ham so this year We're doing turkey. Also baked mac and cheese, pumpkin pie and a marshmallow fruit salad. Not much at all.

Old 11-21-2018, 11:37 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,020,552 times
Ham is done and carved.
Turkey is done and carved.
Watergate salad is made.
Green bean casserole is started...just dump in some French fried onions tomorrow and bake.
Stuffing ingredients have been prepared...just have to be combined and baked tomorrow.

Glad to have some stuff out of the way. Just have to clean up my kitchen now before I go to bed. Tomorrow shouldn't be too hard. I think I'll make the mashed potatoes fairly early in the day and just put them in the crock pot on warm. I've heard that works well but have never actually tried it.

Old 11-22-2018, 02:05 AM

3,734 posts, read 5,766,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Ok, I just finished my final shopping list, and that makes this thread a bad idea, because I know y'all will come up with a bunch of stuff I want to make instead.

We have been playing musical chairs with guests, 3 of our small group can't make it, which is good because now we do not have to start the turkey the night before in order to have it ready for the early dinner they needed. So we have a group of 7, which includes one set of neighbors.

Our other neighbors are cooking dinner too, so all of them will come over here for a bit, and then we will all go over there for a bit.

Anyway... here's the menu:

Lychee stuff with cream cheese/candied ginger/sherry
Spinach/arugula with gorganzola/apples/pecans/cranberries and Dijon dressing
Biscuits (NOT home made, I wouldn't do that to guests), and cranberry/orange/honey butter
Traditional stuffing
mashed potatoes and home made gravy (one day I will get it how I want it. Maybe this year?)
Green bean casserole (from scratch!)
Smoked turkey
assorted pies and booze

Yours sounds DIVINE - and nourishing, which is more than I'll be able to say about whatever we have at Dear Daughter's house, across the meadow from ours.

Whatever's served, I can be sure that it will be Kosher, Organic, Vegan, nearly Rawist, and as calorie-neutral as possible. And living in the PNW, DD can source people who'll do all of that. Too, we WILL be having the dreaded Romaine, since our shared Jardin Potager produces greens year-round (sometimes protected at night, under glass cloches, like one did, long ago, on France's West Coast, producing winter greens for Parisians).

We'll have our traditional dishes - Tomato Aspic (but Rawist), and some sort of mixture of grains, dried fruits, and barely-blanched vegetables, served as 'Timbales' (in Mississippi, our timbales had nuts, too: but in the PNW, we don't DARE - some IT Titan could drop dead at the table, just hearing the word, 'Cashew'.). And there'll be some sort of raw soup - and a raw dessert, and Rawist ices of some sort.

I won't be surprised to see the table set with five goblets - none of which will feature booze. Water, Seltzer, two freshly-juiced vegetables, and one freshly-juiced fruit, will be my guess.

I'm not expecting any bread items at all. But I AM expecting as many eating utensils as Dear Daughter (or her assigns) can coordinate with courses. The food is actually more an excuse than an objective. Not that I'm complaining. I raised her that way - she's just taken it to new heights.

I'm having a steamed chicken breast, right now, and will have a steak for breakfast - long-lasting energy to get me through the calorie-neutral "feast" happening at 2, tomorrow.

But the big news is the debut of a torque and 2 matching cuff bracelets my husband had made for me: Orangey Melo Pearls, smallish Aquamarines, against a pavement, on every visible surface, of tiny dark purplish Tanzanite stones, set in a Citron-hued Green Gold. The Melo Pearls are not strictly in my color key, so I've been worried about what to wear with this new set. I had a substantial silk Shibori-dyed, in deep blues and greens, in Mississippi, and got an Empire-waist dress suit drawn-up - fabricated in Quebec, where the best 'Little Hands' are, in my opinion: Fortuny-pleated in some places, embroidered & quilted in others, plus a few Haute Couture workroom tricks for which I don't know the terms. Now, I'm wondering if the dress will upstage the jewels. (Oh, well... as long as DH knows I know I'm the luckiest girl in the world...) I was hoping to look suitable, in DD's Napoleonic Dining Room. But with my bob-cut hair, my dusky self may end up looking more like Cleopatra than Josephine Bonaparte (whose tented bedroom at Malmaison was supposedly the inspiration for DD's Dining Room https://goo.gl/images/vheHT6). Again, I'm not complaining: all that tenting means totally perfect acoustics, and our entertainments always end up being about business, so you have to hear every word.

But what if that shortish, high-waisted dress makes me look like Mia Farrow in Rosemary's Baby - only brown, instead of blonde?

Old 11-22-2018, 04:24 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
Well the turkey is doing an over nighter in the brine. Which the main ingredient is a gallon of Modelo Negra beer.
What is this brine recipe?

Old 11-22-2018, 05:40 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,565,656 times
15-lb. smoked turkey
Glazed Ham
Mexican cornbread
Potato Salad
Macaroni salad
Cranberry Sauce
Macaroni & Cheese-3 different cheeses, which is how I make mine
Green Beans
Collard Greens

My lady's mom is making German Chocolate Cake & Boston Creme Pie.

I'm going to my woman's parents' home for Thanksgiving. They also stay in NW Houston.

Old 11-22-2018, 05:56 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Happy Thanksgiving all - enjoy your turkey day with all the fixins

3 rules in my house- no publicly hollering at kids or adults... take it one on one
no talking politics
eat what you want ... no forcing kids to eat turnip/peas/green bean casserole
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink