Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2018, 09:51 AM

48,445 posts, read 34,627,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
:

I'm not a fan of the traditional green bean casserole or the yam and marshmallow casserole. The green bean one is like mush to me Then again my family never made it when I was growing up so not something I ever got used to. I do like a mashed sweet potato casserole

You HAVE to make it from scratch, and use fresh green beans. I will NOT eat the one with beans from a can and made with soup.

No offense to those who do.... we all have our quirks.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2018, 12:35 PM

20,549 posts, read 30,332,386 times
I just finished my final shopping. If I don't have it you're not getting it

Christmas Dinner for me is so much easier...a lot less sides

Old 11-20-2018, 12:47 PM

1,934 posts, read 1,070,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I just finished my final shopping. If I don't have it you're not getting it

Christmas Dinner for me is so much easier...a lot less sides
Christmas dinner for us will be a standing rib-roast as the main attraction.

Old 11-20-2018, 01:54 PM

20,549 posts, read 30,332,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post

Same here

Old 11-20-2018, 02:03 PM

Just a heads up as we prepare for the festivities: romaine lettuce from Canada or US is to be avoided. Some disease....

Old 11-20-2018, 02:32 PM

51,618 posts, read 25,681,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I enjoyed this post! (Among others - fun thread!)

I just realized that I FORGOT TO BUY A WHOLE CHICKEN when we did the shopping extravaganza today. YIKES! Oh well, I have time to correct that.

We tried a healthy, made from scratch and organic "green bean casserole" one year and BLECH. It went over about like a lead balloon. So we are back to the unhealthy kind. We do add almonds to ours, if that makes a difference! We never made it when my kids were little (or when I was little) but my son in law from Iowa loves it so now it's included.

We put our gravy on the dressing and all over the meat. We don't make any sort of potatoes other than a sweet potato casserole which doesn't pair well with gravy since it's got marshmallows on top of it - LOL.

I like your pitchers of cocktails. We don't have that though I did buy several bottles of wine yesterday. We will be having some KGBs around the fire pit Wednesday night though - those are one shot each of Kahlua, Grand Marnier, and Baileys, shaken with ice. YUM. Watch out - they will sneak up on you!

Kids get hot chocolate or hot cider - can take their pick.
Had the same experience with a healthy green bean casserole. Not a single person wanted a repeat. There's something about the flavor of the cream of mushroom soup green bean casserole that is appealing, though certainly not the texture or the appearance.

We bake our sweet potatoes, pull off the skin, cut into thick coins and arrange them like dominoes in the pan. Cover with brown sugar and spices, then pour cream over the top and sprinkle with chopped pecans. It is damn delicious. No marshmallows. Might add bourbon this year. We'll see.

KGB sounds out of this world. I enjoy a drink or two and the good humor that follows. Alas, Several of our family members drink irresponsibly. One gets lit and then lights into everyone else. She got into it with one of her kids two Thanksgivings ago and they didn't speak for months. Another one drinks until he falls flat. Had to take him to the hospital last year. All in all, it's best if we stick with the Shirley Temple punches.

Old 11-20-2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Just a heads up as we prepare for the festivities: romaine lettuce from Canada or US is to be avoided. Some disease....
What about head lettuce?

Pregnant niece said she can't eat any of the prewashed salad mixtures.

Old 11-20-2018, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
Yes indeed.

We use the reverse sear method.

200 degrees for several hours until temp is 125 degrees. Then pull it out and let it rest.

Heat over to 500 degrees, put roast back into sear it.

Always delicious.

Old 11-20-2018, 02:40 PM

As soon as DH gets home will do final shopping. I need to add another appetizer, even though we are small group, one seems sad. Sheena sold me on a festive drink, so I THINK I have all the ingredients to make an apple sangria. I have the perfect pitcher.

In the mean time, pulled out everything from the pantry is an ingredient, pulled out all seasonings, and all serving dishes, and the silver serving pieces.

I don't think I will cook today, but will cut up all the mushrooms, onions, garlic, prep them into bags for cooking the day of, will make the lychee stuffing mix, the flavored butter.

Tomorrow will put together the green bean casserole (may make the white sauce today), sans onion and bread topping (will get soggy), bake the pie, and make the whipped cream, maybe make the stuffing, and gravy (will still need drippings). Day of will make salad, pop everything in the oven.

Today DH will bathe the hounds who smell like fritos. I will mop RIGHT before guests arrive, I do not know how the dogs keep getting the floor so dirty.

Thanksgiving will be clear, sunny and warm so will set up tent and stuff outside so that cigars may be smoked, and they can keep the turkey company.

Old 11-20-2018, 03:23 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,720,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
You HAVE to make it from scratch, and use fresh green beans. I will NOT eat the one with beans from a can and made with soup.

No offense to those who do.... we all have our quirks.
But that's the original recipe. It was invented by a Campbell's Soup Co. home economist using ingredients sold by their company and its subsidiaries. Just saying. I wouldn't touch the stuff with a stick myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink