U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 10:20 AM

2,848 posts, read 1,073,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I'm gonna have to try this! At least I have the Cafe du Mond on the shelf, been drinking it for many years now, their beignet mix is pretty decent too.
If you've had Vietnamese coffee, then you know it's like hot melted ice cream already - rich and strong. I was, though I probably shouldn't have been, a little surprised at the choice of coffee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 10:33 AM

55,466 posts, read 39,165,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
If you've had Vietnamese coffee, then you know it's like hot melted ice cream already - rich and strong. I was, though I probably shouldn't have been, a little surprised at the choice of coffee.

I don't know if it's the norm but I shop at a local Vietnamese owned market and I'm pretty sure Cafe du Mond is the only coffee brand they sell.

Old 11-26-2018, 10:47 AM

5,031 posts, read 4,791,113 times
I never had good luck with ice and salt, and I didn't want to have to deal with pre-freezing a bowl or some other piece, so I waited until the Cuisinart with the on-board refrigeration unit showed up at Tuesday Morning for 1/3 off retail. It works well, other than the dasher drive unit being rather noisy.

Still perfecting my recipe (and will certainly try the blackberry sorbet recipe posted earlier), but made a very nice batch of vanilla ice cream for dessert on Thanksgiving.

Old 01-09-2019, 10:00 PM

6,842 posts, read 12,019,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
I never had good luck with ice and salt, and I didn't want to have to deal with pre-freezing a bowl or some other piece, so I waited until the Cuisinart with the on-board refrigeration unit showed up at Tuesday Morning for 1/3 off retail. It works well, other than the dasher drive unit being rather noisy.

Still perfecting my recipe (and will certainly try the blackberry sorbet recipe posted earlier), but made a very nice batch of vanilla ice cream for dessert on Thanksgiving.
You don't really have to "deal with" pre-freezing a bowl -- you simply leave the bowl in your freezer at all times.

(I have no idea which Cuisinart you ended up getting, but it sounds like it is probably out of my price range! Do you have a link to the one you bought?)

Old 01-09-2019, 11:08 PM

2,848 posts, read 1,073,506 times
I got the one where you have to keep the bowl in the freezer for Christmas and I want to make banana first. Does anyone have a good banana ice cream recipe?

Old Yesterday, 12:33 AM

9,004 posts, read 8,339,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I got the one where you have to keep the bowl in the freezer for Christmas and I want to make banana first. Does anyone have a good banana ice cream recipe?
I have never made banana ice cream, but if I were to try, it is David Lebovitz, pastry chef and ice cream maven, to whom I would turn first.

https://www.davidlebovitz.com/banana-ice-cream-recipe/

Here's the most recent version of his ice cream book, The Perfect Scoop: https://smile.amazon.com/Perfect-Sco...ed+and+updated

Old Yesterday, 10:18 AM

5,031 posts, read 4,791,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
You don't really have to "deal with" pre-freezing a bowl -- you simply leave the bowl in your freezer at all times.

(I have no idea which Cuisinart you ended up getting, but it sounds like it is probably out of my price range! Do you have a link to the one you bought?)
I don't want to have to keep a bowl in the freezer.

No link, but it's the ICE-50BC model.

Old Yesterday, 11:08 AM

301 posts, read 54,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Since you like fruit sorbets I thought you might like to try this one, it's one of my favorites:

Blackberry Sorbet
1 1/4 cups sugar ...

I am SO making this soon. I had forgotten how much I loved blackberries until recently when I used them to make an uncooked sauce for cod cooked in papillote over thin sliced onions and fennel.

Both of those coffee ice cream recipes look really good to.

I HATE you guys!

Old Today, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medtran49 View Post
I am SO making this soon. I had forgotten how much I loved blackberries until recently when I used them to make an uncooked sauce for cod cooked in papillote over thin sliced onions and fennel.

Both of those coffee ice cream recipes look really good to.

I HATE you guys!

Well, you could always punish us by sharing the recipe for the cod you made, giving us MORE work to do!

Old Today, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I have never made banana ice cream, but if I were to try, it is David Lebovitz, pastry chef and ice cream maven, to whom I would turn first.

https://www.davidlebovitz.com/banana-ice-cream-recipe/

Here's the most recent version of his ice cream book, The Perfect Scoop: https://smile.amazon.com/Perfect-Sco...ed+and+updated

Great book! Every once in a while I borrow my local library's copy to try a new recipe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or