Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 09:30 AM

87,995 posts, read 83,827,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
NC grows sweet potatoes so I'm definitely partial to them....bought organic ones this year and they were smooth-skinned and sweet...

so that they could be eaten without any additions. Now THAT'S a good sweet potato!
Yes, yum.

I buy a few and bake them all at once and then just microwave them as I want one.

Old 11-25-2018, 10:50 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,657,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
But why does the Sprouts website say, "You may never come across a true yam" with a photo of the difference between them if they sell them? All the photos they have of "yams" that they sell are sweet potatoes. Unless they carry them occasionally and don't list them on the website, which is possible.
I don’t know, but I recall it has 3 signs, sweet potato, then yam, then purple potato, the Japanese type. The yam is much more orange. I grew yam before so I don’t think I was buying sweet potato.

Ok, I did some googling of pictures of true yam in Africa, they are huge tubers. I don’t think I ever saw them before. So my whole life I’ve been eating sweet potato.

Last edited by NewbieHere; 11-25-2018 at 11:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2018, 10:55 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,657,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
True yams are very hard to buy in the US. They look completely different. Yams have a cylindrical shape with blackish or brown, bark-like skin and white, purple, or reddish flesh.
They have an earthy, hardy taste and usually a minimal amount of sweetness, and can be used much in the same way as a regular potato.
True yams grow in Africa, and while they are rare, it's possible to find true yams in ethnic (Asian and African) markets.

BTW: what's called a Mexican yam is what we know as jicama, and a whole other story.
Mine are stringy, but I’ve check out the true yams from the farmers market. They come from Fresno and they grow them in a green house. They even sell yam leaves. But I guess after some googling, it’s not really true yam, it’s sweet potato.

But I’ve always known jicama as jicama, not as anything close to yam. It’s not even orange. It’s white and crunchy.

Last edited by NewbieHere; 11-25-2018 at 11:08 AM..

Old 11-25-2018, 12:11 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,109,111 times
I always had the Yam/sweet potato thing going on too until I lived in CA and at the store there they had sweet potatoes that were almost white and very good.

Old 11-26-2018, 12:22 AM

4,391 posts, read 2,876,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, yum.

I buy a few and bake them all at once and then just microwave them as I want one.
Details please, Mightyqueen -- baked how long at what temperature?
Do you bake them slightly less time given that they're going to be heated again in the microwave?

Old 11-26-2018, 08:47 AM

1,183 posts, read 698,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
Sweet potatoes are potatoes. Yams are like a root more than tuber, and have a stringy flesh.
Actually they are not, they are from a different plant family than actual potatoes. Just to confuse things even further.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink