U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 11:42 AM

8,534 posts, read 7,816,153 times

Advertisements

Whole ham with biscuits and potato salad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 05:00 PM

3,963 posts, read 4,652,326 times
AND, if you have the time

Mouser's Wild Rice Chicken Hot Dish

You can add, delete or improvise as necessary

2 box's of Uncle Ben's Wild Rice ( Traditional )
4 Boneless / Skinless Chicken Breasts
1lb GOOD Bacon
1 Green Pepper
1 Whole Onion
4 Celery Stalks
2 packages of Sliced Fresh Mushrooms
1 tablespoon Minced Garlic
2 small packets of Slivered Almonds
Fresh Ground Black Pepper

Start with the rice using the microslave method, Cut up bacon and start frying
cut up Pepper, Onion, Celery and set aside. Cut Chicken into just a bit smaller
then bite sized put into a Zip Loc bag adding a touch of olive oil, Paprika, Poultry
Seasoning and Black Pepper then seal bag and set aside.

Once the Bacon is done scoop out and place on paper towel, saving some of the
grease then add the Chicken from the bag. using two forks toss around until done
then set the Chicken on paper towel.

Add more bacon grease and add the Peppers, Celery, Onions, Mushrooms once the Onions
turn color add the Garlic and lower the heat and keep stirring.

In a smaller skillet, dump in the Slivered Almonds on a LOW heat constantly stirring
until lightly browned, then remove from heat keeping in skillet and tossing until cool
then set aside.

By this time your Veggies should be ready as well as the rice, pour Rice & Veggies into
a HUGE mixing bowl and fold until all is incorporated then add the Chicken and fold
some more. Once everything is mixed together add the Toasted Almonds just before
serving so they stay crunchy !

This travels very well and it's very Freezer friendly, I like to warn it up in a skillet just adding
some REAL Butter as your stirring it up.

The Rice Pilaf above will also work fantastic as a side dish or a tasty complement for
kabobs, Duck, Game Hen's, Chicken livers and one of my favorites Shrimp Scampi !

As with any dish you should take a taste, you'll notice that I do not include salt as
there seems to be enough from the Bacon, if you need a bit more of a salt taste
add a pinch of a quality kosher Salt then taste again before serving.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:10 PM

4,701 posts, read 6,014,301 times
A family with several kids of assorted ages, I would suggest something like:

Chicken Strips, Baked Beans, Tater Tot Casserole, and a dessert.

Meat Loaf, Mashed Potatoes, Green Beans, Rolls, Dessert.

I would look for dishes that are easy to heat up and clean up.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:34 PM

6,201 posts, read 7,411,155 times
Shredded BBQ pork or beef sandwiches. Cook pretty much any type of pork roast or beef in a crock pot the day before and shred or cut it up when done. Add homemade or a bottled BBQ sauce, a couple packages of rolls, and whatever sides you think they might like. Easy for you and most kids like BBQ sauce.

When my kids were in high school, the parents took turns hosting their swim teams for a lunch during Winter break (full day practices). I know you don't want to do a lasagna, but what about a Mexican style lasagna? Use corn tortillas instead of the pasta, chicken or ground beef seasoned like tacos, and beans with cheese for the layers. I used a combination of salsa and canned, diced tomates cooked down a bit for the sauce. The teams always loved it. Easy to heat up or eat at different times if schedules are varied.

I do love the whole ham idea mentioned above. It's easy and there would probably be enough leftover for a second meal or lunches. Hams are a good value this time of year.

Old 11-30-2018, 02:22 PM

834 posts, read 214,813 times
Chicken salad for sandwiches, egg salad for sandwiches, three bean salad, Cole slaw, pasta salads, deviled eggs, ham slices or ham and bean soup.

Treats are good, too. Cookies, a berry cobbler or crisp. Gingerbread or banana bread.

Old 11-30-2018, 02:40 PM

21,226 posts, read 26,445,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
CD friends, there is a family in my community where the father is very ill and the family needs help with meals. I would like to help with this, but in my circles that usually looks like a lot of lasagna, pizza, baked pasta...I know these things are good transporting dishes, but I want to provide a little more variety. What are your favorite meals to care for friends? I would like to do this weekly, if possible, and they have 7 kids at home. TIA!
This is a nice thought, but do you know if any of the family members have food issues?

I would think that roast chicken, baked sweet potatoes, & green beans would be safe. I've never heard of people having allergies to those or that they would fall into other problem groups of food.

Old 11-30-2018, 03:55 PM

834 posts, read 214,813 times
Off topic, but I was wondering how does one add a note to a person when giving them reputation? People do it to me sometimes so I know it is possible.

Old 11-30-2018, 04:02 PM

8,534 posts, read 7,816,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
Off topic, but I was wondering how does one add a note to a person when giving them reputation? People do it to me sometimes so I know it is possible.
In the top right of the square between the post number and 'flag post' button.

Old 11-30-2018, 04:21 PM

9,073 posts, read 8,417,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
Click on the "scales of justice" icon in the upper right corner of each post, between the post number and the exclamation point in the triangle.

Old 11-30-2018, 04:44 PM

1,420 posts, read 1,396,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
This is a nice thought, but do you know if any of the family members have food issues?

I would think that roast chicken, baked sweet potatoes, & green beans would be safe. I've never heard of people having allergies to those or that they would fall into other problem groups of food.

They do not have food issues and they have reached out for help, so I would like to do what I can and have it be a little bit more interesting since I am sure they will receive plenty of lasagna, spaghetti, pizza, etc. from others.

Roast chicken is definitely on my list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or