U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 03:21 PM

19,610 posts, read 10,590,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
I am making a meal for this family today. I decided on buttermilk roast chicken, mashed Yukon gold potatoes, gravy made from homemade stock, roasted carrots with honey butter glaze and blueberry buttermilk cake that can be dessert or breakfast.

I will be making dinners once a week throughout January as well and will use many of these wonderful ideas!
That sounds delicious, I'm sure they will appreciate it very much! My mom is in the hospital right now - it will end up being about 2 or 3 weeks total including rehab so not the same kind of longer term situation, but I know how difficult it's been trying to juggle things with her plus caring for my son, and of course managing my job and my household all at the same time.

And I hope that there is a good resolution for the father's illness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2018, 04:28 PM

450 posts, read 98,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
They do not have food issues and they have reached out for help, so I would like to do what I can and have it be a little bit more interesting since I am sure they will receive plenty of lasagna, spaghetti, pizza, etc. from others.

Roast chicken is definitely on my list.
I did this for my neighbor's family and was later told we provided the best meals. I stayed away from pasta and tried to provide wholesome complete meals:

Thanksgiving dinner with stuffing, homemade mashed potatoes, peas, cranberries, pumpkin pie

Barbeque Chicken (some with and without), corn on the cob, fresh broccoli, baked potatoes, watermelon

Homemade chicken noodle soup -- cut up whole check breast, fresh carrots and celery, homemade croissants, cookies

Roast Beef, gravy, homemade mashed potatoes, peas and carrots, biscuits, homemade cake

Since we lived close by, it was easy to bring food just before dinner time.

Old 01-11-2019, 02:28 PM

1,368 posts, read 1,377,852 times
I am very sad to report the father in question for this thread has passed away. It was not expected. I attended his funeral right after Christmas. It was truly heartbreaking for all. There are 7 children (ages 5-25). One is on her own, and two others were in college, but I believe they had both come back home to help while their father was sick and I believe they are still here. I don't know how long they plan to stay. If you are the praying type, I know this family would appreciate your offerings on their behalf.

I was wondering if meals would still be appreciated. Before I could ask, a family representative inquired if I would still be interested. I will will be providing a weekly meal for them for the next while starting next week. I will post here what I decide to make in hopes it may give others some ideas if they ever do the same thing.

Old 01-11-2019, 02:35 PM

19,610 posts, read 10,590,361 times
Cdarocks, thank you for the kindness you are putting forth into the world. I know it's appreciated by the family but I appreciate it too, and I'm sure many others who have read this thread do as well.

My prayers will be with the family during this sad time.

Old 01-11-2019, 04:30 PM

16,292 posts, read 25,840,574 times
Oh my goodness. I didn't see that coming. I'm so sorry to hear this news. I don't pray but I will think good thoughts for this family, some of which have already been granted -- having friends like you taking such extraordinary care of them. You're wonderful, Cdarocks.

Old 01-12-2019, 06:09 PM

255 posts, read 378,494 times
Oh, I am so sorry to hear this news. You are so sweet to continue cooking for them... less for them to worry about. Here are a few ideas that work well with kids:

Hot ham and cheese sliders, green salad, dessert (or hot roast beef deli meat cut up and heated with au jus packet/water, delivered with Swiss or provolone cheese slices and buns)

Poppy seed chicken casserole, broccoli salad, rice, dessert

Meatballs with sub buns (separate) and grated mozerella so they can heat and eat anytime, fruit salad, dessert

Ham biscuits (I use deli ham), soup, dessert

Old Today, 02:40 PM

1,368 posts, read 1,377,852 times
Tuesday's are my day to make dinner. It's chillier than normal outside today so I've made homemade tomato soup and a big green salad. I also picked up a rustic baguette from a great bakery downtown and I will make fresh basil butter to spread on the slices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or