Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 03:28 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,163,191 times

Advertisements

It's Tuesday! Today I am making grilled chicken with Caesar salad, rolls, apple blueberry pie bars for dessert and lemonade to drink.

I will marinate the chicken for about an hour, sous vide it for two hours and then use an indoor cast iron grill pan to finish it. The salad is pretty traditional. I do make the dressing from scratch and top it all with shaved parmesan. I was going to make herb garlic bread to go with it, but the grocery store was completely out of anything I could use to make such a thing. I had not anticipated this wrinkle, so I bought rolls and called it good. The pie bars look great - I've never made them before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2019, 12:46 PM

It Tuesday! Today I am making all the fixings for a taco bar. I will make ground beef taco meat and grilled chicken (fajita style), so they have a choice of fillings. I have all the extras to make a great taco including homemade salsa. I will make red rice as a side and dark chocolate brownies for dessert.

Old 05-08-2019, 01:44 PM

I didn't post yesterday! It was Tuesday and my menu was chicken enchiladas with green sauce, green chili rice, a big green salad with yogurt dressing and bittersweet chocolate and cinnamon coffee cake for dessert.

The green part of my sauce is tomatillo, avocado, cilantro and poblano. There's lots of other stuff in it including an entire head of roasted garlic, but that's the basics of the green base. It's absolutely delicious. I made a mild version for them and made an additional batch of sauce for us for another day. I added 3 jalapenos to ours. I also crumbled queso fresco over the finished pans of enchiladas.

Old 05-14-2019, 03:17 PM

It Tuesday! Today I am breaking my own rule. At the beginning of this thread I said I didn't want to do pasta because that's such a typical thing to take for a meal. However, I am the only person taking meals at this point and the late husband was the cook. I am pretty sure they haven't had any homemade sauce lately. So, today's menu is spaghetti bolognese, green salad with a white balsamic vinaigrette, roasted garlic and basil butter grilled bread and chocolate chip cookies.

The bolognese has been simmering away all day, though it will be best tomorrow or the next day.

Old 05-14-2019, 11:31 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times
Being by myself find making meals that may last 2-4 days in the fridge or freezer.
Last weekend cooked up a batch of chicken thighs.

Tonight added two to a Maruchan instant chicken lunch...
Microed the Combo for a tasty chicken soup dinner that was close to what my mother made decades ago.
For a meat meal will use a Smart & Final 1/4 lb burger Patty and my 1000/ catsup sauce combo, pre cooked bacon slices, lettuce, tomato, slice of cheese.....
Cut up one small potato for fries that quickly cook up in a lightly oil filled skillet.
Nothing big but meal will taste like In & Out

Old 05-15-2019, 11:08 AM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Beef stew with plenty of vegetables
Hurst 15 bean soup with your choice of meat and seasoning to add for local taste
A pot of homemade chili served with baked cornbread

Old 05-15-2019, 11:16 AM

Locally some favorite foods can be a challenge for you.

Red beans and rice is a staple meal. It’s seasoned with onions, bell peppers, and a favorite pork sausage cut up and cooked in with the beans.

Another option is ask them what are some of their favorite pizza toppings and use their list as an idea for making a homemade pizza.

Old 05-15-2019, 11:55 AM

Here is one of the better and more authentic Louisiana Red Beans & Rice recipes. My wife and I cheat. There’s a local brand of red beans in a can we use to cut the cooking time. I’ll find the brand’s website and share here.
http://www.camelliabrand.com/recipes...yle-red-beans/

https://bluerunnerfoods.com/product/...icy-red-beans/
The above is what we use. We sauté chopped onions, chopped bell peppers, and cut up sausage. Once sautéed, we pour in the beans from the can and use the same can to add two cans of water. Stir and bring to a low boil. Continue stirring occasionally while the rice cooks. The beans should not be of a watery soup consistency. It should border on a stew consistency. To serve put about a cup of rice in a bowl and spoon the red beans on top then stir.

Old 05-20-2019, 02:29 PM
npz

208 posts, read 323,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
I can't rep you again, but I would love to see your recipe
Aaaarrgh! I only just saw your reply - I am so sorry!!

I will try and post the recipe for you!

Sorry

Old 05-21-2019, 08:46 PM

Well, it's Tuesday today, but I woke up feeling really under the weather. I will continue next week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink