Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 09:07 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,503,069 times

Advertisements

My broiler stinks.

Broiled steak is great if you have a good broiler.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 09:54 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,780,482 times
Broiling is great, easy. Bring steaks to room temp. marinate or season as desired. preheat broiler. put as close to broiler as feasible without meat touching it, and leave door entirely open so that meat doesn't bake. Flip when first side starts to look the degree of done you'd like. Watch it carefully. Pull out when second side looks done and make small cut to test for doneness.

I grew up on everything broiled. It's easy to master.

Old 12-03-2018, 11:13 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
If you do want to use oil on a steak, grapeseed oil is a better option than olive oil. It stands up well to high heat and it's a much more neutral flavor. You want to taste the steak, not the flavor of olive oil.

Old 12-03-2018, 12:25 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Don't do it! Restaurants can get away with it because they have broilers that reach over 1,500 degrees, you can't get anywhere near that at home so you won't get good results.

Instead use a reverse sear, where you bake it in the oven on a low temperature then flash finish in a heavy pan with oil/butter. It is the best way to consistently get perfectly cooked steaks indoors without using a grill. Technique is described in detail here:

https://www.seriouseats.com/2017/03/...ook-steak.html

I started reverse searing when weather wasn't suitable for grilling, and liked it so much I eventually stopped using my grill for steaks. Here's a video showing same technique:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akO6D_tc0lo
Rep for sharing Serious Eats and their reverse searing method.

Kenji Lopez-Alt is a God.

Old 12-03-2018, 06:19 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
I'd agree
Get a small bottle of ' Kitchen Bouquet ' in the gravy section.

Put a bit on one side ( spread with fork ) then add some good kosher salt & fresh ground
black pepper then lightly press ( DO NOT POKE ) with the flat side of a fork, repeat
on the other side.

Heat your Cast Iron to med high, a drop of water will disappear in an instant, turn
on vent fan then place T-Bone in pan, I'd think 3min per side for Med. Rare.
I love your detail!
You're a good teacher.

Old 12-03-2018, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
If you do want to use oil on a steak, grapeseed oil is a better option than olive oil. It stands up well to high heat and it's a much more neutral flavor. You want to taste the steak, not the flavor of olive oil.
I would never use anything, but light olive oil...Heavens never EVOO.
grapeseed is good, I just don't have it around!

Old 12-03-2018, 06:55 PM

17,716 posts, read 9,187,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I would never use anything, but light olive oil...Heavens never EVOO.
grapeseed is good, I just don't have it around!
Ah ok. I thought you were talking about EVOO.

Old 12-04-2018, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Ah ok. I thought you were talking about EVOO.
We should start a thread , "What CAN you use EVOO on?"
It's so strong!...My sis buys $25 bottles infused with things for salads....but why..
when you can use a good $10 EVOO and Balsamic vinegars....sorry...tangent.

On topic:
I always broiled or grilled my steaks perfectly rare to medium rare...you have to know your
heat source and be on top of
the steaks. tho....no chatting with friends! I mean 3-5 min each side high heat.
Damn. I have gotten the BEST cuts and One minute too long and I missed perfection.
I have just lately started using cast iron....not bad, I must say!

Old 12-04-2018, 08:16 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
I have 2 T-bone steaks I got on sale yesterday, About 1 inch thick.
Never having broiled steak before and wanting a different way to cook them, is this a good cooking method?

Grilling is not an option and a George Forman doesn't get a proper sear. I've been doing that on the rare occasion I have steak anymore.

I could go that route again but was hoping to try something different.
My dad never did our steaks any other way nor did I for until the days of outdoor grills. It is simple: just turn the boiler on, make sure you have seasoned your steaks well and pat with butter. That is it, put them on the broiler pan, turn after few minutes just like you do on the grill and cook until they reach the desired temp. We didn't even use a temp guide. And I really prefer butter to olive oil or any other type of oil. Everyone has his/her won preference. I use OO on most things but not all.

Last edited by nmnita; 12-04-2018 at 08:28 AM..

Old 12-04-2018, 08:19 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Don't do it! Restaurants can get away with it because they have broilers that reach over 1,500 degrees, you can't get anywhere near that at home so you won't get good results.

Instead use a reverse sear, where you bake it in the oven on a low temperature then flash finish in a heavy pan with oil/butter. It is the best way to consistently get perfectly cooked steaks indoors without using a grill. Technique is described in detail here:

https://www.seriouseats.com/2017/03/...ook-steak.html

I started reverse searing when weather wasn't suitable for grilling, and liked it so much I eventually stopped using my grill for steaks. Here's a video showing same technique:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akO6D_tc0lo
Well maybe you haven't had good results but many of us used broilers for years. One more thing, to the OP, there isn't nearly as much smoke as if you use a fry pan on the stove top.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink