Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 07:15 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,589,229 times

Advertisements

The prices that people are describing here are just crazy. No wonder so many people are hard-pressed financially, when they get older. If they hadn't indulged in these overpriced meals so often during their years of high disposable income, they would be in much better shape later. The most I ever paid for a single meal was $7.50 and that was for a special occasion at a 4-star restaurant. Other times, I'd mainly go to buffets, at prices ranging from 99 cents to $3.00, over the years.

When I was out-of-town on per diem, I'd get my food at a grocery store; sometimes I'd add a few pieces of chicken from their delicatessen. I've rarely been willing to pay anything for the "atmosphere" of a restaurant. In good weather, I'd lay my spread of healthy food on a picnic table at a park------better ambiance than anywhere indoors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2018, 07:55 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
The prices that people are describing here are just crazy. No wonder so many people are hard-pressed financially, when they get older. If they hadn't indulged in these overpriced meals so often during their years of high disposable income, they would be in much better shape later. The most I ever paid for a single meal was $7.50 and that was for a special occasion at a 4-star restaurant. Other times, I'd mainly go to buffets, at prices ranging from 99 cents to $3.00, over the years.
I don't even want to know what you would be eating at a 99 cent buffet.

Old 12-06-2018, 07:55 PM

2,955 posts, read 1,412,392 times
Quote:

When I was out-of-town on per diem, I'd get my food at a grocery store; sometimes I'd add a few pieces of chicken from their delicatessen. I've rarely been willing to pay anything for the "atmosphere" of a restaurant. In good weather, I'd lay my spread of healthy food on a picnic table at a park------better ambiance than anywhere indoors.
A buffet meal for 99 cents? I've never heard of that. What do you even get for that low of a price?

Old 12-06-2018, 08:09 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,307,469 times
Surely for most people it depends on the occasion. We go to the local club on a Monday night and have a steak for about $US10 each and happy hour wine for around $2. And we go out for our anniversary and spend $200 even though we are light drinkers.

There has been a whole heap of publicity here about one of our columnists writing a humerous column about the millennials not being able to buy a home because they spend so much eating avocado for breakfast in restaurants. I think it has actually boosted avo sales no end.

But most people find eating out to be one of the pleasures of life.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:20 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
My wife and I go out to eat a lot, but like most people, we are on a budget. Prices are creeping up and we are trying to determine how much is too much and how to get more value. We normally go out to lunch, since it is usually cheaper than dinner (why, I don't understand. Your stomach can't tell the difference). For you out there is CD land, how much is too much to pay for a restaurant meal, especially for lunch? Do you prefer fast casual, casual, fast food, buffets, cafeteria style, or something else? For the restaurant haters, I know eating at home is cheaper, but I'm interested in restaurant diners specifically
Because of our demanding work schedule, (12 - 14 hour days), my husband and I frequently eat out. There are many more factors affecting our choices than price, although we don't like to throw our money away. If a restaurant offers well-prepared food in a pleasant environment served by competent and capable staff, we are willing to pay a bit more for a positive experience.

We patronize our fair share of buffets, my husband is a big eater and loves them. Whereas, I usually don't get my money's worth. Plus I find the food at *most* buffets somewhat uninspired.

My personal favorite is a good steak house. In Branson, my favorite is a Long Horn Steak House that we have been to several times and impressed with each visit. Entrees run around $15 - $20 per person depending on what is chosen and you can generally add about $4 or $5 on for an adult beverage and sometimes $5 or $6 for a dessert. I usually figure $50 for a dinner out.

Lunch, on the other hand, is something I really don't care about and we pick Subway more than we pick any other place. I sign up for subway's weekly deals that come through on my phone as a text. Occasionally we will hit McDonald's or Taco Bell.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:24 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,022,934 times
I don't really have a set dollar amount. It's more like...ya know how when you look at a menu or get your bill at a restaurant and often either think, "Wow, that was a pretty good deal..." or "Yeah, that's about right..." or "Wow, that's kinda high?"

That's kinda how I know if I "paid too much" at a restaurant. For two, we've spent $200 at a steakhouse and left blissfully happy, and we've spent $35 for a burger and fries that left a bad taste in my mouth (both literally and figuratively).

In general, for two, I like to keep breakfast under $20, lunch under $30 and dinner under $50, unless we've specifically decided to go somewhere "nice" to splurge for dinner or unless I'm having multiple cocktails, both of which are pretty rare.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:58 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,050,725 times
Quote:

When was the last time you ate in a restaurant? 1972?

Old 12-06-2018, 10:18 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,257,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
My wife and I go out to eat a lot, but like most people, we are on a budget. Prices are creeping up and we are trying to determine how much is too much and how to get more value. We normally go out to lunch, since it is usually cheaper than dinner (why, I don't understand. Your stomach can't tell the difference). For you out there is CD land, how much is too much to pay for a restaurant meal, especially for lunch? Do you prefer fast casual, casual, fast food, buffets, cafeteria style, or something else? For the restaurant haters, I know eating at home is cheaper, but I'm interested in restaurant diners specifically
For lunch 8-10 dollars is tops. For dinner 25-30 dollars sounds about right. In the bigger cities you are going to spend a lot more, such as my $72.00 steak dinner in Chicago.

Old 12-06-2018, 11:06 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Normal lunch, not great cuisine, $25 for the two of us. It might be $30 for some places.

We have also started eating lunch, instead of dinner, on special occasions. If we eat out in the evening it would probably be at Panera or Burgerville or similar where prices and menus do not change.

Sometimes we get a Papa Murphy take and bake for $15-$20, and get supper and lunch the next day out of it.

Old 12-06-2018, 11:18 PM

6,866 posts, read 4,863,645 times
[quote=Steve McDonald;53821069]The prices that people are describing here are just crazy. No wonder so many people are hard-pressed financially, when they get older. If they hadn't indulged in these overpriced meals so often during their years of high disposable income, they would be in much better shape later. The most I ever paid for a single meal was $7.50 and that was for a special occasion at a 4-star restaurant. Other times, I'd mainly go to buffets, at prices ranging from 99 cents to $3.00, over the years.

When was this......1950?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink