Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 07:55 PM

32,937 posts, read 36,359,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
A waffle chicken sandwich? That's just so gross.It's irresponsible to introduce amid an obesity crisis. I though fast food places were trying to make healthier food?
Chicken and waffles aren't news. That combination has been around forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2018, 05:47 AM

1,584 posts, read 981,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Best I can tell, it looks like this started in Harlem in the 1930s, likely at the Wells Supper Club.

Amy Ruth’s in Harlem does a fine version of this, as well as several other combos of “fill in the blank” and waffles. I also like those at the LA chain Roscoe’s, though they default to non-crispy waffles for some reason.

Old 12-15-2018, 06:02 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,083,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
A waffle chicken sandwich? That's just so gross.It's irresponsible to introduce amid an obesity crisis. I though fast food places were trying to make healthier food?
Fast food is what it is. It is up to the individual to make their own choices, not to be scolded by someone on an internet forum. I used to teach recreational scuba, there are rules, but I learned a long time ago that I'm teaching folks that knowingly break the speed limit laws on a daily basis. I also drove a 24 passenger dive boat (aka cattle boat). The first six months almost killed me, but after that nothing anyone would do ever surprised me again.

Old 12-16-2018, 10:26 PM

32,937 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
Best I can tell, it looks like this started in Harlem in the 1930s, likely at the Wells Supper Club.

Amy Ruth’s in Harlem does a fine version of this, as well as several other combos of “fill in the blank” and waffles. I also like those at the LA chain Roscoe’s, though they default to non-crispy waffles for some reason.
I wouldn't doubt it, unless they carried that North with them. It was most likely some woman trying appease two or more family members. Here's your chicken. <-- --> Here's your waffles. Everyone be nice and share.

Old 12-17-2018, 01:26 AM

9 posts, read 5,521 times
I like New Orleans chicken wings

Old 12-17-2018, 03:04 AM

339 posts, read 148,585 times
If I am going to eat Chicken and Waffles its going to be from Roscoe's House of Chicken and Waffles in California!

Not from KFC~

Old 12-17-2018, 06:48 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,180 posts, read 13,461,836 times
KFC is totally different in other parts of the world.

In the UK you it's mainly chicken. burgers/sandwiches/wraps and salad and rice box meals.

You certainly don't get things like mashed potato, pot pies or chicken and waffles or box meals are very different. You don't even get a dry scone like thing which Americans call a biscuit anymore.

You also get fries in the UK, but they were not that good, however I have heard the recipe is being changed and they are becoming slightly thicker although not like the potato wedges served in US KFC.

We do however still get the KFC Gravy, Coleslaw and Corn on the Cob, as well as sauce options to go with the chicken and fries.

There are also different burgers, and zingers and hot wings do quite well in the UK.

KFC | KFC UK - Find a Restaurant and Order KFC Online

In terms of chicken and waffles, you can find a good casual restaurant chain selling that kind of meal in the UK.

BIRD — London's original fried chicken & waffles joint

Absurd Bird | Fried Chicken from the American Deep South

Yard & Coop - The Home Of Buttermilk Fried Chicken

Last edited by Brave New World; 12-17-2018 at 06:56 AM..

Old 12-17-2018, 07:53 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Lays potato chips had a chicken and waffles flavored potato chips during their flavor testing game several years ago.

One of the biggest problems with waffles in any commercial setting it the gross brown corn syrup they give you as a substitute for Maple Syrup. restaurants cannot afford maple syrup so they resort to Artificially flavored brown corn syrup. Funny thing is, so many people are accustomed to that junk and they do not know what maple syrup actually tastes like (and most do not like it).

IMO id f they would use actual Maple syrup, even the godawful KFC waffles might state decent.

Old 12-17-2018, 08:08 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
The main reason I feel that way is that the Colonel himself was a reserved southern gentleman and they have made him a Caricature and he would have been insulted by such a commercial.

I also don't like them taking a great scene from a movie and making it into a farce.

It is the whole lack of respect thing that bothers me.
their first thought was to do a spoof of the opening scene of 'Saving Private Ryan' but they found tying in a giant bottle of Mrs. Butterworth Syrup, to a Colonel Sanders led wartime beach assault, too much of a stretch.

Old 12-17-2018, 09:11 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I never heard of it until City-Data and it still doesn't sound right, but hey, people are free to eat whatever combination they want. To me, waffles were always something you ate with ice cream, although I know there are people who eat them as a breakfast food with syrup like you would pancakes or French toast.

I think there was a long thread about chicken and waffles on here some time ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink